Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

I know a groomer who does EVERY head and face scissor only. Outstanding scissor work, but funny thing is, she has not and will not EVER attempt using thinning shears. She has groomed over 20 yrs and embraces just about every other new technique at least for trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt99 View Post
    I know a groomer who does EVERY head and face scissor only. Outstanding scissor work, but funny thing is, she has not and will not EVER attempt using thinning shears. She has groomed over 20 yrs and embraces just about every other new technique at least for trial.
    I trained under someone who believed and preached that thinners were for people who did not know how to scissor properly, so it was several years into my own career before I ever even tried them. I kind of get (although no longer subscribe to) the kind of mindset that says thinners and the like are a sign of incompetence or laziness. She was pretty adamantly opposed to them. And HV dryers. She felt it was worth the extra time to "do it right." Old habits die hard. And sometimes they never do, I guess.

I never said using clippers made you unprofessional I more saying that when the client says he's not a show dog I want to respond sarcasticly saying well if he's not a show dog he can be shaved and i dont have to spend however long scissoring but being professional stops me making inappropriate comments that could lose me clients I apologize for any misunderstanding

So I'm curious. What would these groomers who are so opposed to thinners do with say a show cocker. Where the throat and sides of the neck are shaved, but the back of the neck is stripped/carded? Also the topknot (Crown whatever)? Do you just leave the stark difference or do you break down and be lazy to blend it with thinners?

I for one don't get the mindset at all. I've never been opposed to anything that makes my job easier and look better. No matter what, I don't think anyone can argue that a dog would prefer to spend the least amount of time being groomed as possible. So why not make that as easy as possible without sacrificing quality?

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post

I for one don't get the mindset at all. I've never been opposed to anything that makes my job easier and look better. No matter what, I don't think anyone can argue that a dog would prefer to spend the least amount of time being groomed as possible. So why not make that as easy as possible without sacrificing quality?
    Yes Cockerlvr, that's the key. I was pretty young then but I remember the introduction of clipper combs, and the resulting "controversy of clipper combs." On the extreme some were literally aghast, and criticizing businesses that use them even to customers. Actually my stepfather did show grooming assisting handlers of both Terriers and Std Poos yet he was very open to productivity offered by snap-ons. Long ago on this board we introduced the term "commercial grooming" and I like seeing it used. Just last night I believe it was 4them that used it. It was during the snap-on controversy that I remember my mother starting using that term. We had big togethers with a few dozen other grooming business owners at our house back in the Sixties and Seventies. How often does that happen today, or since? Sometimes and it is encouraging, well there is the time I found out one group was doing that truly to "fix prices." Yikes. The narrowly avoided legal issues a few months later. Anyway, what Cockerlvr is saying is exactly the premise of commercial grooming. We are mostly commercial groomers on this board. We groom several days a week year round, that is commercial grooming. Few pet owners expect true show grooming, but want beauty and a fair price they can afford. If we can find short cuts yet still produce beauty and health for pets, and keep our prices in line with the market, that's commercial grooming. Snap-on's lead that revolution. All the rhetoric of their introduction was pretty much ego, and I would expect in an artistic trade. Didn't bother us, we could offer authentic show grooming by appointment and yet commercial grooming. The only thing my parents never did as a time saver was cage drying, every pet was hand dried, not a single pet. That was just a choice.

P.S. I've also know too many "hand scissor only entire pets" groomers that ended up with hand and wrist issues, some debilitating. If you can still produce quality and safety, and keep healthy, do it. That's commercial grooming. A much larger segment of the population uses professional groomer services today than back in the Fifties, Sixties, Seventies even Eighties. If we didn't have commercial grooming that percentage would plummet.

Stress to my body was one huge motivator for my willingness to learn new tools and tricks. That and I kind of do like to do as much as I can with as little effort as possible. Time is money. And sometimes a long lunch.

It was when I started going to trade shows and seeing some of the well respected groomers who eagerly promoted easier ways of doing things and more efficient tools that the light came on for me.

I love the combs but we don't use them on heads.

When I first started grooming I NEVER used a comb on the head, or the legs! We had to scissor it. It wasn't till years later I started using combs. I guess it did help me learn real fast how to scissor, but now I use them all the time !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using a thinner on head gives me better finish looking in my case but use combs on heads and cheeks sometimes when clients demand a real short head. So case by case.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5