Default Effective Portfolios

I am putting together a portfolio for the first time, and I have good amount of pictures of different dogs from 10 years of salon experience.

My question is, is there are "best" layout for a portfolio? Would it be better to have physical photographs, or would printed on paper, high resolution be sufficient? Should there be information printed with the photos, or is it equally impressive if I can sit there and name off the dog's first name, last name, age, haircut, and frequency of grooming. I can pretty much guarantee that I can name every dog that I've ever groomed.

How many dogs should I use? Is more or less better?

I would suggest a high quality paper if you go that route. Otherwise I'd prefer to see a book with representative cuts for the different breeds you generally get, with before and afterwards of those with dramatic changes. A brief description of breed, age, frequency of groom are always welcome.
    When I look at portfolios of anything I prefer to see for myself rather then have someone talking to me while looking. But that's me,I feel that the work should generally speak for itself.
    If you want excellent examples of photos check out ItzaClips posts . She does marvelous work snd takes great photos of her charges

I too like clean and simple meaning writing text just distracts, like Honey said the pictures tell the story. I think organization would be helpful so that Poodle clips are in one area, or terriers in this area, mixed breed styles in one area. Have fun with it.

*^^^^love the idea of how to organize ^^^^^

I'm not particularly concerned about the quality of my photos or grooms... And if I was, a little late for that now.

I'm just looking for the best way to organize. If there's no such thing as too many, I might not have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    I'm not particularly concerned about the quality of my photos or grooms... And if I was, a little late for that now.

I'm just looking for the best way to organize. If there's no such thing as too many, I might not have a problem.
    How is the portfolio going?

I want to know too. I love looking at them.

I photoshopped 8 x 10 pages, with 4ish dogs to a page, some before/after, some just after, each with the dog's name, breed, and brief groom description. Had the photos printed, mounted them on 8.5x11 card stock, each page a different colour, and put them in sheet protectors in a binder. I used about 25 grooms.

portf1.jpg

Moo, you did such a great layout! I love it!
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Wow, nice job, that's perfect! For my grooms, I figured posting them on my business Facebook would have the whole collection together. But now this has me considering having something on hand, for people that don't see my page or use Facebook. That looks really really good.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk