Default Adorable kitten who is very bite-y and scratch-y for claw trims

I just visited a cute kitten, only about 3 months old. I was supposed to trim her claws, but am embarrassed to say that the little critter ran me off her property, ha ha. She came over to me, was curious and lively. When I put her on my lap she hissed, then started struggling to bite me and scratch me. Her owner and I tried doing it together, but she began to scream and even started shedding fur, so I stopped because I didn't want to upset her that much. Her owners are crazy about her. She's a rough player, so I guess she's just one of those high-strung cats. I wound up suggesting that they work with a behaviorist, so that kitty will redirect her energy away from biting. The owners say she does sleep and cuddle with them, so they're going to try clipping a claw or two when she's sleepy in bed.
    What would you have done? Such a cute little girl, but wow, sharp tiny teeth and claws

I would have had the owner scruffed her, and while holding her up in the air, quickly cut the nails. If it was just me there, then I would have put either a cone or Air Ball on her, flip her on her back (on my lap) and drape a towel over three legs, and cut the remaining nails, then just rotate the towel. You can wrap the towel tight around her body while cutting the nails.

Happy not getting bit

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

If she were bigger, that would have been a great way to handle the situation. She was so small that the air muzzle or my e-collar, would have flopped around her teeny little neck. She was so delicate looking - but with a bold attitude, ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    I would have had the owner scruffed her, and while holding her up in the air, quickly cut the nails. If it was just me there, then I would have put either a cone or Air Ball on her, flip her on her back (on my lap) and drape a towel over three legs, and cut the remaining nails, then just rotate the towel. You can wrap the towel tight around her body while cutting the nails.

Happy not getting bit

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Tongue Out Cat

Kitten-size e-collar. These usually have velcro closure not snaps, and weigh only 34 gams . Clipnosis kitten-size, only one not two for the scruff, as with adults. Air muzzle okay if not too heavy for that sized-cat, and some 3-monthers are robust fatties. Owner restrains cat minimally on her lap, same as on a vet's table for vaccinations.

Owner sits on sofa, with the kitten in towel wrap, on lap, head only sticking out. You want as limited kitty movement as possible because it takes sharp vision and minimal wiggliness to not clip the quick on tiny kitten claws, and so easy to do, as we all know. Even a bigger kitten such as you have here. And some cats never forget it when you do if it hurts. As with scaring them with rough treatment in a bath, it ruins it for the next time.

Owner and you do some sweet talk and finger massages for at least a minute or two, so kitten settles down as much as possible. And realizes escape isn't going to happen soon. Sit on side of owner, do that side's paws with only one leg exposed at a time from the towel burrito. Then move to other side of owner, and do other side, same. Slow calm confident movements, no quick movements ever, lots of soft, low voice, sweet talk and flattery. Nonstop blarney patter is a must and key to this kind of work. Once finished, e-collar comes off but not towel. With kitten in same position, wrapped, kitty gets deli turkey/ham/whatever treats are her #1 favorites, small pieces fed from your flat palm or a plastic spoon you hold. You want her to remember your scent and your hand delivering the goodies.

Good luck.

Thank you. I just now have ordered a small e-collar that is supposed to fit kittens. This kitten was slim. She is a Siamese. I'll be ready for my next feisty Siamese kitten.