Default Pushing back quicks- It's taking months!

And with little progress...

My GM has a rescue Great Dane and really wants her nails shorter. We have been working for months (4) and dremmeling down to the pink every other day and with very minimal progress. She does eat a high protein raw diet, so those suckers are really healthy.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Walk on concrete is 1st thing that comes to mind. Although you will need to check pads regular ly

Dremel the nail to a pencil point with the pink quick at the tip. That's how I was taught to do show poodle nails. Daily walks on concrete would help, too.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Many breeds will always have longer nails, like terriers......which were originally bred to "dig". I would say, STOP the daily grinding on that poor dog's nails.....how painful.

Happy leaving nature alone

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Quote Originally Posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
    Dremel the nail to a pencil point with the pink quick at the tip. That's how I was taught to do show poodle nails. Daily walks on concrete would help, too.
    Yep, daily walks on the concrete are happening. I dremmel very close to the pink but never quicked her. We do her nails Monday, Wednesday and Friday and there is always an impressive amount of growth for such a short amount of time. On a side note, she is such a cupcake for the dremmel! I wish all my nail trim dogs were as good, she just lays on her bed and it's done in less than a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    Many breeds will always have longer nails, like terriers......which were originally bred to "dig". I would say, STOP the daily grinding on that poor dog's nails.....how painful.

Great Danes were not bred to dig, I think they were larger game hunters. I do appreciate you bringing that up, I do see the longer type nails in Westies, Norwiches...etc So I don't think genetics is the issue here. Also, we aren't doing everyday grinding, just every other meaning Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Never quicking though.

I posted a question about quicks several months ago and got pretty good feedback. I don't remember what my exact thoughts were but I was questioning this process of clipping every few days to see if it really worked. Someone said they were going to do an experiment and see if it worked but I do not recall whatever became of that

Since then I have become 80% convinced that clipping every few days does not move the quick back and that it is like Dolly says nature. I tell clients it doesn't matter how short they want the nails, the dog's quick dictates how short and I do not bother with telling them about the filing every few day theory because they are not going to do it and I don't think it works anyway.

Now that you have posted this and your diligent filing I am 100% convinced that it doesn't work. I am 70/30 against on whether dogs quick grows with the nail since I see so many over grown nails with short quicks.

Quote Originally Posted by lillypeanut View Post
    I posted a question about quicks several months ago and got pretty good feedback. I don't remember what my exact thoughts were but I was questioning this process of clipping every few days to see if it really worked. Someone said they were going to do an experiment and see if it worked but I do not recall whatever became of that

Since then I have become 80% convinced that clipping every few days does not move the quick back and that it is like Dolly says nature. I tell clients it doesn't matter how short they want the nails, the dog's quick dictates how short and I do not bother with telling them about the filing every few day theory because they are not going to do it and I don't think it works anyway.

Now that you have posted this and your diligent filing I am 100% convinced that it doesn't work. I am 70/30 against on whether dogs quick grows with the nail since I see so many over grown nails with short quicks.
    Very interesting! I too have seen many nails that have short quicks but very overgrown as well so it makes me wonder... I always thought those dogs with the short quicks/long nails didn't really go for long walks or eat a high quality food. Just a theory! What I thought was really interesting is when I adopted my pit bull she had the longest nails and long quicks too. Her's for some reason I was able to push back with ease, after about 3 weeks they were normal length. Either way, it's my bosses dog sh ultimately she makes the call, but I'll pass on what I've read here.

Thanks everyone!

Done properly this is not painful! Though I don't do daily grinding. Maybe nail filing. Weekly is usually enough.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Oh for goodness sake Dolly? Painful? Ever walk by a nail salon where all the ladies are getting their nails dremmeled? It's not painful as long as you aren't on the quick.

I have been able to successfully get some quick back. Try weekly or biweekly instead of every few days