Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    798

    Default Pushing back quicks- It's taking months!

    And with little progress...

    My GM has a rescue Great Dane and really wants her nails shorter. We have been working for months (4) and dremmeling down to the pink every other day and with very minimal progress. She does eat a high protein raw diet, so those suckers are really healthy.

    Any input is greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    Walk on concrete is 1st thing that comes to mind. Although you will need to check pads regular ly

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SE Wash St
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Dremel the nail to a pencil point with the pink quick at the tip. That's how I was taught to do show poodle nails. Daily walks on concrete would help, too.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

    Groom on!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Marysville, Ohio
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Many breeds will always have longer nails, like terriers......which were originally bred to "dig". I would say, STOP the daily grinding on that poor dog's nails.....how painful.

    Happy leaving nature alone

    Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

    www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
    Dremel the nail to a pencil point with the pink quick at the tip. That's how I was taught to do show poodle nails. Daily walks on concrete would help, too.
    Yep, daily walks on the concrete are happening. I dremmel very close to the pink but never quicked her. We do her nails Monday, Wednesday and Friday and there is always an impressive amount of growth for such a short amount of time. On a side note, she is such a cupcake for the dremmel! I wish all my nail trim dogs were as good, she just lays on her bed and it's done in less than a minute.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    Many breeds will always have longer nails, like terriers......which were originally bred to "dig". I would say, STOP the daily grinding on that poor dog's nails.....how painful.

    Happy leaving nature alone

    Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

    www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

    Great Danes were not bred to dig, I think they were larger game hunters. I do appreciate you bringing that up, I do see the longer type nails in Westies, Norwiches...etc So I don't think genetics is the issue here. Also, we aren't doing everyday grinding, just every other meaning Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Never quicking though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    138

    Default

    I posted a question about quicks several months ago and got pretty good feedback. I don't remember what my exact thoughts were but I was questioning this process of clipping every few days to see if it really worked. Someone said they were going to do an experiment and see if it worked but I do not recall whatever became of that

    Since then I have become 80% convinced that clipping every few days does not move the quick back and that it is like Dolly says nature. I tell clients it doesn't matter how short they want the nails, the dog's quick dictates how short and I do not bother with telling them about the filing every few day theory because they are not going to do it and I don't think it works anyway.

    Now that you have posted this and your diligent filing I am 100% convinced that it doesn't work. I am 70/30 against on whether dogs quick grows with the nail since I see so many over grown nails with short quicks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lillypeanut View Post
    I posted a question about quicks several months ago and got pretty good feedback. I don't remember what my exact thoughts were but I was questioning this process of clipping every few days to see if it really worked. Someone said they were going to do an experiment and see if it worked but I do not recall whatever became of that

    Since then I have become 80% convinced that clipping every few days does not move the quick back and that it is like Dolly says nature. I tell clients it doesn't matter how short they want the nails, the dog's quick dictates how short and I do not bother with telling them about the filing every few day theory because they are not going to do it and I don't think it works anyway.

    Now that you have posted this and your diligent filing I am 100% convinced that it doesn't work. I am 70/30 against on whether dogs quick grows with the nail since I see so many over grown nails with short quicks.
    Very interesting! I too have seen many nails that have short quicks but very overgrown as well so it makes me wonder... I always thought those dogs with the short quicks/long nails didn't really go for long walks or eat a high quality food. Just a theory! What I thought was really interesting is when I adopted my pit bull she had the longest nails and long quicks too. Her's for some reason I was able to push back with ease, after about 3 weeks they were normal length. Either way, it's my bosses dog sh ultimately she makes the call, but I'll pass on what I've read here.

    Thanks everyone!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    Many breeds will always have longer nails, like terriers......which were originally bred to "dig". I would say, STOP the daily grinding on that poor dog's nails.....how painful.

    Happy leaving nature alone

    Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

    www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
    Done properly this is not painful! Though I don't do daily grinding. Maybe nail filing. Weekly is usually enough.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern NV
    Posts
    4,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    Many breeds will always have longer nails, like terriers......which were originally bred to "dig". I would say, STOP the daily grinding on that poor dog's nails.....how painful.

    Happy leaving nature alone

    Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

    www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
    Oh for goodness sake Dolly? Painful? Ever walk by a nail salon where all the ladies are getting their nails dremmeled? It's not painful as long as you aren't on the quick.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    I have been able to successfully get some quick back. Try weekly or biweekly instead of every few days

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •