Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by northerntailssharpening View Post

The reason I stopped selling them and sharpening them was because of the problems associated with fixing these shears when they get bent. When regular shears get bent, there are two solid blades you can bend to get them back in shape. Not so with chunkers and thinners. These shears have only one blade you can bend back into shape without breaking them. The blade with the teeth are not solid and have only a thin strip of metal along the top. You bend these too much and the blade snaps.

-------------------------------------------
    Jeff Andrews
    Northern Tails Sharpening, Inc
    Mobile, Alabama
    251-232-5353
    www.northerntails.com
    www.ntforsale.com
    jeff@northerntails.com
    "You NOW Have A Better Choice"
    Wow, that's good to know. That's a pretty major downside.

Yup, and folks dont look ahead when they buy them. Most times the person selling them has no idea what they are selling anyway. I have had headaches with my own curved chunkers and vowed to never sharpen them, and I dont because most are bent.
    I even listed on my website that I dont sharpen curved chunkers or curved thinners and they still send them to me. And get mad when I send them back.
    Oh well..

Jeff Andrews
    Mobile, Alabama
    251-232-5353
    www.northerntails.com
    www.ntforsale.com
    jeff@northerntails.com

Is there a certain brand though that does it right?

Its isnt the brand of shear if its made from 440C stainless, this has nothing to do with why I dont like to fix them. The reason is, when a curved chunker or curved thinner gets dropped and bent, its hard to get the teeth bent back into alignment. It takes more time and frustration than I personally want to put into it.
    I refer Randy Lowe when someone wants to send me a chunker thats "catching' when you open and close it. He has a roller that he rolls steel with.
    Precision Sharp in PA

Hope this helps

Jeff Andrews
    Mobile, Alabama
    251-232-5353
    www.northerntails.com
    www.ntforsale.com
    jeff@northerntails.com

I love mine. Absolutely love them. Randy Lowe and Stephen Toth can and do sharpening them. Use them daily. Thinners and chunkers.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
    Yeah, I heard sharpeners don't want to touch them.
    Stop on, I spoke to my sharpener today and he mentioned that I need to send mine to the supplier for sharpening. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltesepom View Post
    Stop on, I spoke to my sharpener today and he mentioned that I need to send mine to the supplier for sharpening. Wow.
    They take a special tool and a special hand in order to be able to groom them as Jeff is explained. The two people I mentioned above are probably two of the best sharpeners in the country and they are phenomenal with this type of sheer. You wouldn't take your Ferrari to the local oil change place, why would you send your $300 shear to someone who's not traoned to do them? They're a sort of rare animal that not everyone owns, therefore not every sharpener is equipped to do them. There are others in the industry who can sharpen them besides the two I mentioned above, but in my opinion, because they are the two people who have helped develop them to their full potential, especially Randy, they are the best ones to sharpen them anyway. My sharpener at Kenchii won't touch them because he told me point-blank he isn't trained for it. He's one of the best in the world but I respect the fact that he's not willing to mess up my Shear to try.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Exactly Parti, that's is a part of buying specialty brands is they might specialty care, even if your regular sharpener could be OK, but the manufacturer needs to know the sharpener is doing them right, So they do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2