Goofy Strangest request yet... Not sure how to handle this one

So I work within a daycare and boarding facility and I schedule my own full grooming but a lot of my day is nail trims and B & B's that are scheduled at drop off. So far, this has been wonderful and I've hit very few snags and the money is great. However, when I arrived today I checked my bath schedule and noticed I had a very odd request from a high-maintenance client with a cray wheaton. (You know the type...)

She requested that she's not fluffy after the bath, that she doesn't smell like anything, that she LOOKS dirty but isn't dirty.... I guess "clean" isn't a "good look" on her dog.

I'm at a bit of a loss here...The client is really nice and I'm sure whatever happens will be fine, I thought I would share this with the group.

To me it sounds like she wants a natural look not primped. Unless Sig other doesn't want to pay the extra charge. I had a poodle that owner 2anted the curls. Of course they thought it would be cheaper. Nope! Still have to do full bath,blow and cut for it to be proper. Just listed with water after and air dried. Damn Should be charged extra!

Wow. I would use a hypo shampoo with no fragrance. Blow dry, fluff dry because that's how you will get an even clip.. then spritz the dog down with water afterwards so it goes back curly?? Or..... lol... tell her it will $250 so she'll go somewhere else???

Kind of makes me wonder if it's a revenge groom.. ahahah I made that up.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

I'm thinking hypo- no scent, no finishing spray with a blow dry no-heat-HV spritz with water/anti-stat and "crimp". Mom does not want a haircut...

I feel like I did this to myself... Last time she came in she wanted a haircut but not much taken off at all "save as much coat as possible but I know she's matted" Well, luckily the mats weren't at the skin at all and I was able to work them out stress free for the dog and saved nearly all the coat. Mom was ecstatic, over the moon happy with me. Now that I think of it, I should have taken the coat down with a 3 or a 4 and called it a day.

It just happens that this dog is an angel and not typical wheaten at all... I'll let you know how this goes lol!

I suppose I should have been more clear calling the dog crazy but then an angel lol!

The dog is a fun loving nut on the playfloor, so she absorbs all the daycare smells but is an angel for grooming. She stands still, super sweet and practically holds her paws out for nail trims.

Goofy I did it!

Yes! I was able to make the client happy and achieved the "style" she was looking for. I did a bath & brush with scentless hypo shampoo & conditioner, blow out, clipped out mats and blended with thinners and then once she was dry I misted her down with water and anti-stat and "scrunched" the hair and let her finish drying under a no-heat floor fan on low.... But by no small feat, mind you! Alongside this Wheaten I also had a 90 lb lab/shep mix bath and deshed alongside her PWD brother with a bath and deshed all due by 4 pm. Take into consideration that I had a 40 lb lab bath & brush due by 4:30, a 75 lb lab bath & brush by 5, a 60 lb Rottweiler mix bath & brush by 5:30, a 45 lb Belgian Malinois bath & brush by 6 and a basset mix bath & brush by 8....aaaaaaand 8 nail trims.

And I got the grocery shopping done, wrangled my own pack of four and got dinner on the table. All in a day's work I suppose?? Anyone else feel like superwoman some days? I sure did.

Great things worked out.

I want a wonder woman t shirt to wear under a smock,

Quote Originally Posted by CosmonautRik View Post
    Yes! I was able to make the client happy and achieved the "style" she was looking for. I did a bath & brush with scentless hypo shampoo & conditioner, blow out, clipped out mats and blended with thinners and then once she was dry I misted her down with water and anti-stat and "scrunched" the hair and let her finish drying under a no-heat floor fan on low.... But by no small feat, mind you! Alongside this Wheaten I also had a 90 lb lab/shep mix bath and deshed alongside her PWD brother with a bath and deshed all due by 4 pm. Take into consideration that I had a 40 lb lab bath & brush due by 4:30, a 75 lb lab bath & brush by 5, a 60 lb Rottweiler mix bath & brush by 5:30, a 45 lb Belgian Malinois bath & brush by 6 and a basset mix bath & brush by 8....aaaaaaand 8 nail trims.

And I got the grocery shopping done, wrangled my own pack of four and got dinner on the table. All in a day's work I suppose?? Anyone else feel like superwoman some days? I sure did.
    Awesome, CosmonatRik!! I'm feeling more like the flu has hit with like a mac truck this week.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmonautRik View Post
    So I work within a daycare and boarding facility and I schedule my own full grooming but a lot of my day is nail trims and B & B's that are scheduled at drop off. So far, this has been wonderful and I've hit very few snags and the money is great. However, when I arrived today I checked my bath schedule and noticed I had a very odd request from a high-maintenance client with a cray wheaton. (You know the type...)

She requested that she's not fluffy after the bath, that she doesn't smell like anything, that she LOOKS dirty but isn't dirty.... I guess "clean" isn't a "good look" on her dog.

I'm at a bit of a loss here...The client is really nice and I'm sure whatever happens will be fine, I thought I would share this with the group.
    Hi... OK so I figure I will catch a bit of flack here for my background but here goes... about 40+ yrs ago I began in this industry with a top breeder o SCWT so I love the breed, I am fully aware of the fact that most groomers are not fond of them ( I personally found for years a perfect day for me was ALL terriers from yorkies to airdales) but I digress
    one issue many wheaten owners (well many 'newer' wheaten owners have grown to become anyhow IMHO) is to expect the silly puppy cut, no fall, no furn, no beard... worst ones want strips... anyway then you find the ones with mix breeds or poor blood lines that are so light, the recessive curly coats with wire in them. I am an old groomer plain & simple... I kept an old issue of AKC magazine that had a perfect SCWT on the cover. I would bring it out to show any owner what the breed is supposed to look like then work from there as to any modifications. IF... and I say this with all due respect... if they began with that all famous reply of "I dont want that <#####> look" I would nicely ask them why they chose the breed, then inform them of the ENTIRE history of the breed going all the way back to the beginning of when the Irish called them mere farm dogs for fear of being taxed by the British and eventually ending with the genetics of why the breeds long secluded bloodlines required eye protection of some sort to prevent premature cataracts... I would get about 5 minutes in and they knew I was knowledgeable enough to find a compromise... end of story... as I said to begin with .... I love my SCWT, I understand not everyone does and in my own way I selfishly grinned inside every-time someone turned there's away because I knew I had a new friend to groom

Everyone has their preferences, I don't think you'll get any flack about that. If I had it my way I would do giant, heavy coated dogs all day and if I did do a terrier it would be a handstrip. I like weird things when it comes to grooming, or at least I think it's perceived as weird. That being said, if I never groomed another Wheaton I wouldn't be upset about it lol.