Confused Cat Tucson cosmetology student under investigation for giving free haircuts

This sort of investigation may not be a common occurrence, but something to think about if groomer licensing happens. Need an exemption for charitable grooming, such as student groomers who volunteer at a shelter.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3...medium=twitter

"A local cosmetology student is being investigating for giving free haircuts to homeless in the community.

Juan Carlos Montesdeoca has given dozens of free haircuts to the homeless at the Santa Rita Park over the past few months.

“Out of the kindness of my heart. Out of the memory of my mom, because she lost her hair,” Juan Carlos Montesdeoca said.

Montesdeoca thought he was doing a good deed for Tucson by offering the haircuts, a service many homeless hadn’t received in a long time.

“About seven months was the longest one, another lady was about two years without a basic trim.”

He too has been homeless in the past.

When his Regency Beauty school closed its doors last September, he felt compelled to offer his services for free.

But now, the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology is investigating a complaint against him for practicing without a license.

Tucson News Now spoke over the phone to Donna Aune, the board's executive director, who declined to comment because it is an active investigation.

But she said they stand by the words written in the state statue that says in part “A person shall not perform or attempt to perform cosmetology without a license or practice in any place other than in a licensed salon.” "

California has is looking into how to license cosmetologists who do or want to do in home haircuts or nails.. which I think is a great idea for the elderly and those that can't leave their houses. But wow, the ideas being tossed back and forth are pretty strict, one that includes those that do in home human "grooming" would have to be connected to a salon. Think of the ramifications of dog groomers, if such a law were passed requiring licensing for us. Would they address that? Require those that do in home dog grooming to be attached to a dog grooming salon?

At least with the California cosmetology board, there are several appointed "public" members.. appointed by the governor, but most of the board is made up of big cosmetology school owners. In California we don't have huge schools like cosmetologists to protect us.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by daesue View Post
    California has is looking into how to license cosmetologists who do or want to do in home haircuts or nails.. which I think is a great idea for the elderly and those that can't leave their houses. But wow, the ideas being tossed back and forth are pretty strict, one that includes those that do in home human "grooming" would have to be connected to a salon. Think of the ramifications of dog groomers, if such a law were passed requiring licensing for us. Would they address that? Require those that do in home dog grooming to be attached to a dog grooming salon?

At least with the California cosmetology board, there are several appointed "public" members.. appointed by the governor, but most of the board is made up of big cosmetology school owners. In California we don't have huge schools like cosmetologists to protect us.
    "Has is??" Gee... my English skills went out the window lol. Has been.. has been...
    Debbie

Not only did my English skills go out the window.. so did my manners. I think this is terrible.. really. Very few have the love to work on the homeless. One would think the authorities would have more pressing issues on their plates.
    Debbie

You would think there would be a way to signup for an exception, but then it is licensed profession to keep unlicensed who could be without any formal training doing the service. Risk factor?

Quote Originally Posted by daesue View Post

That part of being connected to a salon sucks for both salon owner and the individual. They are taking away independence so the salon owner does some work for the state, that's CA and why I left a long time ago. Over regulated everything and they seem to never have any money, where does it really go?

Quote Originally Posted by Brit View Post
    That part of being connected to a salon sucks for both salon owner and the individual. They are taking away independence so the salon owner does some work for the state, that's CA and why I left a long time ago. Over regulated everything and they seem to never have any money, where does it really go?
    Good question... and they are raising our taxes on newer vehicles? I read about it but didn't absorb it lol..... and I'm like great.. we pay such high fees to register our vehicles as it is. But this is to fix our roads and infrastructures? And the dams that are failing that should have been fixed when we were in a draught. It's like wasted somewhere.. like this bullet train to Sacramento. Seriously?? I mean.. I'd take a bullet train up the coast to see my folks if it took 3 hours instead of the 9 the train is now.. or 6 hours of driving, but Sacramento isn't on my bucket list AT ALL lol. I don't think they spend wisely... hahaha understatement!! I would love to leave.. we are trying. Our kids moved to Colorado and love it there.
    Debbie