Thread: Dog injurys

Default Dog injurys

Hi everyone! It been a groomer for 2 years now and work in a corporate store. I just got my 4th dog cutting incident in a year. I was wondering how many dog do you injury a year? I am feeling really down and out about this and I have been trying to be a lot more cautious. Also any tips. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 years in corp here and so FARRR I've never had an accident. But I definitely attribute that to luck because even the best groomers can cut a dog. So I'm just counting the days. You shouldn't feel down about it as long as you do your best and put care and effort into your work. Maybe you can learn from them and see if there's a pattern to the accidents? Are they bad cuts? 4 seems like a lot to me so maybe there's something that can be changed.

Oh I'm sooo sorry!!! Where were the cuts... that might help us to give you some ideas on how to prevent injuries? Aaaannnd knock on wood.. I haven't had an injury in a couple of years.

So.... if I'm nervous, I take a deep breath, let it out slowly, repeat a couple more times. My music in my salon is some new age background soothing music. Never go down an ear with clippers. Always go from the leather out. Sometimes with small dogs I will use the clippers rather than scissor the edges. And ALWAYS know where that tongue is!!! If you can't get that muzzle shut.. just don't scissor until you can, and know that tongue is inside. Be very careful around tuck ups and armpits. If I'm scissoring a boy dog, I will hold the penis out of the way so I don't cut it. If I can't see something, I don't cut until I can or can feel something. Use your comb... a lot.

And never ever ever ever ever wipe your shears with a paper towel. That'll get ya about 8 stitches in a thumb lol.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Pariss View Post
    5 years in corp here and so FARRR I've never had an accident. But I definitely attribute that to luck because even the best groomers can cut a dog. So I'm just counting the days. You shouldn't feel down about it as long as you do your best and put care and effort into your work. Maybe you can learn from them and see if there's a pattern to the accidents? Are they bad cuts? 4 seems like a lot to me so maybe there's something that can be changed.
    Yea I just notice a lot of groomers in my store don't cut dogs a lot either. I now trying to just go slow and steady and pay close attention to what I'm doing. Im in a somewhat busy salon that is also pretty tiny so it gets crazy something so that can contribute a lot. My manager is working with me to see if there is another to do. And none were too bad that the dog need stitches * knock on wood * just mostly scraps here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by daesue View Post
    Oh I'm sooo sorry!!! Where were the cuts... that might help us to give you some ideas on how to prevent injuries? Aaaannnd knock on wood.. I haven't had an injury in a couple of years.

So.... if I'm nervous, I take a deep breath, let it out slowly, repeat a couple more times. My music in my salon is some new age background soothing music. Never go down an ear with clippers. Always go from the leather out. Sometimes with small dogs I will use the clippers rather than scissor the edges. And ALWAYS know where that tongue is!!! If you can't get that muzzle shut.. just don't scissor until you can, and know that tongue is inside. Be very careful around tuck ups and armpits. If I'm scissoring a boy dog, I will hold the penis out of the way so I don't cut it. If I can't see something, I don't cut until I can or can feel something. Use your comb... a lot.

And never ever ever ever ever wipe your shears with a paper towel. That'll get ya about 8 stitches in a thumb lol.
    Couple on the little flap of skin in the ear, paw pads and one recently was the inside of the back leg. Most of them were tiny and preventable so its very frustrating. Im trying to go slower around those areas now. Armpits also get me somethings. Its good to hear these ideas thank you!! I have to use my comb and brush a lot more. Oh and I've gotten my thumb with chunkers, worst pain ever. Lol

It happens unfortunately. I've found that the way you handle the situation with the client afterwards is what can be the trickiest. Thankfully I haven't sent any dog to the vet so far (and hoping I never do) but I have nicked an ear or two in the 5 years I've been grooming. I've also quicked my fair share of nails, I just try and stay calm and comfort (but not coddle) the dog. I always, always, always tell the parents and apologise but also let them know what a trooper "scrappy" was, I've found honesty is the best policy with accidents.

I'll never forget my first ear cut though... Dog was moving one way and I went the other way resulting in a 1-2 millimeter cut, only I didn't see how tiny it was, I just saw all the blood and freaked! Once I settled and cleaned everything up I actually had to laugh at how much I freaked out over a tiny cut as the dogs bounced around, happy as a clam, licking my face not a care in the world. I told the mom about the cut and she just laughed and said that's why she doesn't do grooming at her house anymore since her pup is really wiggly about his ears. Probably would have been beneficial to know that before hand, but live and learn I suppose!

Quote Originally Posted by batmannn422 View Post
    Couple on the little flap of skin in the ear, paw pads and one recently was the inside of the back leg. Most of them were tiny and preventable so its very frustrating. Im trying to go slower around those areas now. Armpits also get me somethings. Its good to hear these ideas thank you!! I have to use my comb and brush a lot more. Oh and I've gotten my thumb with chunkers, worst pain ever. Lol

Squeeze the leather of the ear between your thumb and finger and only cut a about 1/2" at a time as you move your finger up the ear. I use smaller scissors on those ears when needing to cut close. As you gain years and confidence you can use bigger scissors. A lot of times, if I've shaved the ear and need to clean those ear leathers, I might give them a quick spritz of water so I know exactly where that edge is.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Ive been grooming 8 years and I'm sure I cut maybe one per year. Very small though I've never made a cut larger than say a half inch. Most of them were REALLY crazy, matted or had paper thin skin. . Very tiny nicks happen a bit more but they are like a needle prick. After the wash you cant even see it. Luckily most people were understanding but two of them I remember were livid. One owner said "my cusion is a groomer and she said she NEVER cut a dog EVER she says it's pure carelessness !!" I was like oh boy. When new customers say "the last groomer CUT HER!!" I don't go along with it I first ask about their behavior and if she was matted and say it unfortunately happened sometimes granted there are some nutty groomers out there. This other lady brought me her dog cuz the old shop she went to broke a dogs leg. As I groomed her dog (Yorkie) it somehow did a back flip into the trash can. LOL anything can happen !!!

My first year was the worst... I cut a dogs tuck up area, cut a Yorkie's tongue and a ear, with time and years of experience you will get better. So don't be too hard on yourself, just learn from your mistakes/incidents and stay focus on your grooming.

One a year for me, except none in last year.