Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I think that MV's point is that no matter what you wear, there is a fine line between dressing casually and appearing unkempt. My personal choice is the "upscale cosmotogist" look. Black pants (yes even black jeans), nice top, and a fitted smock with closed toe Alegria shoes. What works for me is not for everyone. Vive la diference! I think the point MV is making is that for me at my age (and slightly fluffier than I used to be size!), I would appear completely unprofessional and inappropriate showing up to work in ripped jeans or sweats, a braless low cut spaghetti strapped tank or a double entendre graphic tee, and a baggy smock with unrepaired ripped pockets. (C'mon we have all seen this!) It is very easy in a less than glamorous environment of water, shampoo, flying hair, and assorted canine bodily fluids, to let one's appearance take that slow slide into an unprofessional realm. I think the point here is that as long as you find a look that works for you, and you present a well groomed appearance to your clientele, then it's all good. Just please leave your "You mess with me, you mess with the whole trailer park" tee shirt in the drawer. Btw...I used to in a mobile home, so please no angry rants! This is a real tee, and yes...they wore it to work!

I wear jeans every day. Hair doesn't stick to them, it's why I wear them. As a side note, Honey I about choked on the cost of your jeans, I have a hard time paying over 50 bucks for a pair. It kills me.

I find scrubs pants to be ill fitting, and I'm not willing to go through hundred of dollars finding a pair that isn't.

I have been soaked in jeans, soaked like I jumped in a pool in them, by two 140 pounds Mals I do. There is no controlling their shakes, you might catch half of them, but they'll manage to sneak them in. That hair hold a LOT of water.

I don't wear open toed shoes or even sneakers with webbing. Leather only. Why? Because of hair splinters. Yep, hair splinters in the toe, not fun, and hard to get out so no thanks.

I don't wear t-shirts, because when they get wet they stay wet. I wear a scrub top only and put an apron on when in the van, but take it off if I'm going back and forth for multiple dogs at the same house.

I don't wear makeup at work or out of work with a few exceptions a year, but never at work. I actually couldn't because I wear a mask to groom.

I don't wear jewelry because I wear ear muffs to dry and it's uncomfortable with earrings. The only jewelry I wear (at least up to a few days ago when it fell off somewhere and I didn't notice it) is my wedding band.

I can understand why if one owns a shop with multiple employees you would require a dress code.

I love my jeans! The kind I wear for work are the stretchy kind so I have full range of movement and hair doesn't stick to them. I also have my printed work logo t-shirt and smock that I wear, if for some reason I end up getting soaked from a big dog, I just throw on my back ups and put my wet clothes in our dryer. I think it just depends on what works for the environment that you groom in, I work in a daycare/board facility and our dress code is decent pants, plain black shirt or logo shirt. Although since I am the grooming manager and currently the main/lead groomer I get to pick out my smocks as needed it's fun to put my personal flair on it!
    As for shoes, I couldn't imagine a day without my non-slip work boots! I'm such a clutz that I would be slipping and sliding everywhere lol. I do wear makeup, but not much at all, just waterproof eyeliner and eyebrow pencil (I was born very blonde and without the pencil I don't have visible eyebrows, yikes!)

If it gets too humid I find jeans absorb a lot of it and feel more uncomfortable, but even non cotton material can be an issue so I make sure my apparel slacks are just a bit baggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brit View Post
    If it gets too humid I find jeans absorb a lot of it and feel more uncomfortable, but even non cotton material can be an issue so I make sure my apparel slacks are just a bit baggy.
    Time for shorts if too humid, lol
    What is boils down to is....wear what is clean and well kept that fits your own style or if applicable wear whatever your boss wants you to wear.
    Last edited by Cyn; 03-11-17 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Can't spell
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3