Default 2016 was best year ever

I knew we were doing well but I think it was our best year ever by about $20K. We raised prices in Spring, so that's part of it, but we didn't have any real slow periods. Sure makes me hopeful for great new year. I am not planning on raising prices this year, but we are really do way more to get more appointments a year from customers. I reread from problems to profits and it really helped. Chapter 12 if you have a copy on the appointment scheduling techniques. How was your 2016 businesswise?

Glad you had good year! Not so great here. Lost a lot of customers (total for the past 18 months was 58): most died, a bunch moved away. I think we only lost about 10 customers when we raised prices by $2/groom (OMG that's $12 more a year they would have to pay!!). Regular boarding customers disappeared (I'm assuming they moved). Not many people replacing their dogs when they lose them. And then of course, the competition keeps lowering prices ($24 full groom for small dogs, $30 for large dogs). Haven't figured out grooming income yet, but I know we were down about $6000 for boarding for 2016. For us 2017 doesn't look too good either - need some kennel building repairs that must be done, and health insurance is killing us. Sorry to be such a downer, but that's just the facts...

I don't know if I would say 2016 is best year because business is still newer. But each month has been getting better and busier slowly. Hope it gets better and better this year and becomes steady. BTW what in the world they groom small dogs for $24??? Does employee get only 40 or 50 % of it?? I even charge "just a bath" more than that! We have a big competition in my area while salon, mobile, home base, or vet grooming everywhere here. Some shops groom small dogs for $10 less than my lowest price. Clients have a lot of choices to go. But in the end lots of clients decide to go with a shop with quality. A happy new year to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Petekids View Post
    Glad you had good year! Not so great here. Lost a lot of customers (total for the past 18 months was 58): most died, a bunch moved away. I think we only lost about 10 customers when we raised prices by $2/groom (OMG that's $12 more a year they would have to pay!!). Regular boarding customers disappeared (I'm assuming they moved). Not many people replacing their dogs when they lose them. And then of course, the competition keeps lowering prices ($24 full groom for small dogs, $30 for large dogs). Haven't figured out grooming income yet, but I know we were down about $6000 for boarding for 2016. For us 2017 doesn't look too good either - need some kennel building repairs that must be done, and health insurance is killing us. Sorry to be such a downer, but that's just the facts...
    Wow that is a lot to lose. My thoughts are with you for a better 2017. We lose perhaps 10 a year to passing on.

We had a very good year, very thankful and look forward to being here another year. Very helpful place.

The $24 grooms come from a local pet shop, owned by one family (not a franchise). Just a supposition on my part - maybe they feel the lower grooming prices bring people in to buy retail. Or, it's a complete tax write-off. Yes, they actually do the basic doodle shave down for $25-$30. The groomer is a member of the family. I believe they do have a part-time bather though - not family. Interesting, we have been grooming a poo mix for the last year, but haven't seen her for awhile. She came in for boarding this weekend. Groom HAS to be done by the pet shop - all I can say is "ya get what ya pay for!!"

2016 was my 2nd year in business. I am very pleased, but also purchased many extra "back-up" equipment w/ some of the additional profits. I use my personal cell phone that has a 2nd phone number for my business. My husband business was paying for both our phones; that changed in December with me now paying for my phone & my internet service as well. I was lucky my next door neighbors let me let log into their Wi-Fi....they moved in December too. Yes, I was very lucky to have these financial breaks as I started my business. Will be off several days in the next 2 weeks as my husband has a hip replacement surgery next week. After this month, hope to get back on track. I was busy the week after Christmas, and that was very helpful. I hope everyone has a great and better year. If you believe in Numerology, last year was a doozy for many people. 2017 is to be a year of luck and renewal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk