Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by SandyinAnaheim View Post
    I like your style DAESUE! You sound like me - I did similar things in school, I reported every incident I saw as it was happening or corrected it myself. Yes, of course that made me popular! LMAO

I am also gung ho for licensing, but don't understand why a board with vets on it would be less effective than a board with groomers. If anything, it would seem like a board with vets might hold groomers to a higher educational standard - and I am all for that.

I know a groomer who got a severe eye infection from feces flying in his eye while drying a dog. Why did it it hit him in the eye? Because he was using an HV dryer with a cone on it and was aiming it at the dog's anus. He admitted to having done that HUNDREDS of times and it had never happened before, this just happened to be an older dog. We were taught on day 1 of grooming school not to do that or you could rupture the anus from the pressure produced by a cone.

I am all for higher standards, educational, practical, whatever they come up with. That should help weed out those that don't belong in this field, and I think that's the purpose of the law, isn't it?
    Ewww... just ewww... who does that?? Isn't that some sort of common sense??? Sensitive area and all, not to mention the damage you can do. And I'm sure that it can also release the anal glands.. even a bit and now you have a dog with a stinky bum that you took time to scrub. Please don't tell me he didn't scrub dog bums. I don't want to know lol.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyinAnaheim View Post
    I like your style DAESUE! You sound like me - I did similar things in school, I reported every incident I saw as it was happening or corrected it myself. Yes, of course that made me popular! LMAO

I am also gung ho for licensing, but don't understand why a board with vets on it would be less effective than a board with groomers. If anything, it would seem like a board with vets might hold groomers to a higher educational standard - and I am all for that.

I am all for higher standards, educational, practical, whatever they come up with. That should help weed out those that don't belong in this field, and I think that's the purpose of the law, isn't it?
    I'm not trying to be contrarian.. but I don't think it would week out those that don't belong in the field. When I was in high school and college, I worked my way through high school and college in nursing homes. I did stuff that I should never have done... and that was before you took a course and became a certified CNA.. I don't know what they are called in other states lol.. California Nursing Assistant.. so ?? And abusive pri@cks are still working in the field. It's like they find the place/the people who won't report them or they find like minded individuals.
    My issue with vets running a grooming board is they just place blame on too many groomers who may not have done anything. And they really don't, unless they've worked in the industry, have a clue as to what we do. I've just read stories on FB where the owner tells the vet they just went to the groomers and their dog now has or is, ____, insert whatever, and the owner comes back to the groomer and says the vet says it's your fault. And the groomer is like.. "what??"

It's like those weird people I had that their dog ended up with a mysterious cut... bath, blow dry, line brush, comb out on a Malamute. How did the dog end up with a 1" cut on on her back, after she sat in my salon for 30 min, not one time.. but two times??? Had they taken the dog to the vet, the vet would have blamed me. I always fess up to my accidents and offer to comp the groom!

So... I just think this law needs to be carefully crafted. I wonder who runs the cosmetology board?? Okay.. off to research.

Oh one more thing.. one of the sort of instructors at the last school I went to was sooo awesome. I really liked him. He had gone to a California state sponsored grooming school... 2 years!!!! And at the end he was good enough to be certified by one of the certifiying groups. Plus he had all sorts of handling tricks up his sleeve.. and was just a good, kind groomer. I kind of think that would be great. I know it's a mighty big chunk of time.. but so is cosmetology school, so is college. Now, that might weed out the bad ones.
    Debbie

This was just beyond fascinating to me lol. I found the Board meeting notes from a board meeting last July of the people who are on the board of cosmetology. The president.. I haven't searched the net yet.. but he owns a, probably rather large, cosmetology school. One of the issues that came up during the meeting was a PSP permit.. which would have a MAJOR impact on our industry. It is a Personal Service Permit, allowing cosmetologists to work outside a brick and mortar business, in people's homes. Talk of fingerprinting, how to enforce, how to protect consumers... etc. The owner of Sports Clips was against it and an esthetician spoke for it. Think of weddings...Anyway.. this was pretty eye opening. I didn't read the whole thing.. but skimmed it.

http://www.barbercosmo.ca.gov/about_...s/20160717.pdf
    Debbie

Okay.. here is a pdf on who is who on the California Cosmetology board.. there are both industry and public members.

http://www.barbercosmo.ca.gov/about_..._members.shtml
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by daesue View Post
    I'm not trying to be contrarian.. but I don't think it would week out those that don't belong in the field.

My issue with vets running a grooming board is they just place blame on too many groomers who may not have done anything. And they really don't, unless they've worked in the industry, have a clue as to what we do. I've just read stories on FB where the owner tells the vet they just went to the groomers and their dog now has or is, ____, insert whatever, and the owner comes back to the groomer and says the vet says it's your fault. And the groomer is like.. "what??"
    You're not being contrarian. I asked a question and you are providing your opinion. The reality is, a vet is going to believe what the client is telling them, and why wouldn't they? Is that the vet's fault, or the owner's? If one goes to the doctor and tells them they hurt their back at work, the doctor would likely place the blame on the employer and a poor work environment. But the truth may be that you fell off a ladder at home. How is the doctor to know that the patient is or isn't lying? They don't. And neither do vets. And people who lie to vets are the same people who lie to us and tell us their matted dogs get brushed every day, or their nails got that long since the last time they were cut a month ago.

And I think vets, who handle more dogs than we do every single day, do have an idea of what should be going on in a grooming session.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2