Jiggy What pets are you grooming?

Of course our dogs and cats are always the most popular - but what else are you grooming? I've seen horses, birds, and even a few offerings for various reptiles!

What's the most unique offering that you have - or have seen?

I used to trim nails on ferrets and guinea pigs, when I worked at PetSomething. I know some groomers groom rabbits. And pigs, too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone just asked me Monday if I would groom a rabbit. Has anyone groomed a rabbit? If so what shampoos would you recommend and any other suggestion please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We cut nails on some birds. We don't like bringing animals like rabbits in the shop, scary for them. We do the birds at closing, but only a few a year.

Rabbits have to be done in a hypo, tearless, so gentle from what the 4H person told me once.

Just cats and dogs, and I only do cats on limited basis on quiet days with my best groomer who loves cats.

Some animals I'd avoid due to them being so delicate. I know rabbits are not supposed to get a full bath as it can put them into shock, and I unfortunately know of someone who bathed their rabbit and it died the next day. The house rabbit society says a kind-of sponge bath is okay if the rabbit has a poopy bum or the like. TootsiePie is right about the type of shampoo too. As for shaving- some of the longer haired rabbits and guinea pigs I've done, but it can take some time as to not to stress/nick them (require a finer blade than a cat). No matter the animal, I'd definitely have something prepared for the owner to sign, and stick to your comfort level- parrot beaks, and cats both make me nervous so that's a big nope.

I've done nails on guinia pigs and such. Groomed a couple rabbits (one just a bum shave, it was so matted with poop it was awful, and a brush out on another.) I don't think I'd take on a pig as I just don't know anything about them

I do not plan on grooming a rabbit based on the research I hv done, info received on this forum and talking w/ my Vet. I'm not even that comfortable grooming cats & do not offer this at my shop. Thanks for all the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to do equine grooming before I became a pet groomer. Financially better doing pets and since I love small breeds much easier on the bod.