Default New prospector! Please help!

Hello all!
    I am looking to start a small, pet grooming (just myself) business in my home. I am trying to build out a business plan, and come up with a solid estimate to get the ball rolling. Could anyone help me in regards to essential start up equipment, (dryers, tub, table, etc). This will be a one at a time show for now, not a salon.

The help would be so much appreciated!

Thank you!
    Amanda

Are you going to do all sizes of dogs and types of coats?
    If you just do small dogs under 30 lbs, you can start out with nothing more than your own tub or sink and a hair dryer.

The most essential start-up 'equipment' you need is experience. What sort of grooming experience do you have? You will be responsible for the care and safety of someone's beloved pet. You will be working alone, so you won't have anyone else's guidance to help you. I may be stepping out on a limb here, but by reading your post, with you wondering what equipment you need to get started, it sounds like you have very little experience. If that's the case, then you should start by working in a shop or go to a reputable grooming school at the very least.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I agree experience and training is what youll need most. Other than that your basic grooming tools a tub a dryer and kennels.

I agree your biggest purchases will be a table, tub, a cage and a dryer. Perhaps a poly tub if you don't want to use your bathtub. These are essentials other than tools and supplies.

I got some used stuff here in the ads.

I would agree that proper training and experience is the most important "equipment" you need. Not that anyone is trying to discourage a new groomer but going into it with a learn as you go attitude is not the best way to go. It is not only being able to clip and scissor dogs that is important but being able to "read" and understand them and handle them well. If you are a trained groomer starting out then forgive this comment and good luck. Pat

I'm a newbie starting out too, so welcome! I have my basic tools from grooming school and ordered from petedge online my shampoo's, backup blades, bow's, table, and vac. I have a bathing sink and a portable tub. It's been two months since finishing school and I had two dog's so far. Geez, this home business is going to take me years to payback what school cost at the rate I'm going. Grooming jobs are hard to find without experience in my area. I've lowered my prices to student rates and still haven't been getting much interest. Hoping it will pick up in the spring.

Hi Amanda! I started out with a budget of $2000. That was what my CC had on it lol. I found an old, but good, hydraulic table for $75 on Craiglist. What a find!! And it swiveled lol. Painted the bottom, put a new top on. Then I got a Booster Bath from the groomer up the street, who had used it until she could afford a nice tub. Paid $50? Used that for 2 yrs lol. My dryer I bought on PetEdge for less than $200. And I really still like it. I'm on my second one.. but it's perfect for me. HV and converts to stand. It's the Master Blaster. I bought some good shears and some less expensive shears. I bought some expensive brushes and combs. I'm not sure what they are now.. but they were the original Les Pooch brushes. And I prefer Ashley Craig greyhound combs.. but I do have some inexpensive combs as well. And AC combs aren't the only game out there lol. Nail clippers, two good dremels. Some basic stuff, like clotting stuff for nails, shampoos I started out with Top Performance and they did fine... worked well with my water. A couple of different dematting sprays, a couple of colognes. Bandanas and bows. I had a kit from school.. with some decent stuff in it. Tougher than Tangles brushes, 2 different Frank's Universal, my clippers are the old Andis 2 speed. They are a great back up pair and did me fine for 2 yrs. They are heavy though. And some muzzles. I did invest in a Groomer's Helper, and for some reason I have more than enough grooming loops to last a while. Ear cleaner, hemostats if you use them. And two outfits lol. I poured over Petedge catalog, Ryan's catalog, Groomer's Choice catalog. Look around, compare prices, compare on Amazon too.

But that's what I worked with for the first 2 years.

Good luck!!! Exciting!
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
    The most essential start-up 'equipment' you need is experience. What sort of grooming experience do you have? You will be responsible for the care and safety of someone's beloved pet. You will be working alone, so you won't have anyone else's guidance to help you. I may be stepping out on a limb here, but by reading your post, with you wondering what equipment you need to get started, it sounds like you have very little experience. If that's the case, then you should start by working in a shop or go to a reputable grooming school at the very least.
    My first school had the WORST tables and weird tubs her husband had made that were back killers. My instructor had never heard of thinning shears or curved shears. I used skip tooth blades and preshaved everything lol. She refused to look at any dvd's from like Melissa Verplank, Jodi Murphy, or Sue and Jay. I remember when I found this list I was terrified she'd find me on her.. learning things lol!!!! She may have refused to step into the next century.. but wow she could do a top knot with straight shears that was perfect. But she had good dryers lol. It was like driving a car for me.. I learned more after I got my license (and nearly killed myself a couple of times.. but that's another story.. yikes). And the two places I worked at were just bad dreams. Dirty towels, dirty bathroom, ONE dryer for 6 groomers?? But one place had a bathing machine..yeah that was a game changer. I about took a baseball bat (JUST KIDDING) to her stupid old Oster Stand Dryer that wouldn't stay in place but for about 3 seconds. But I learned how to use my shoulders to nudge that thing around!! I'm so glad those days are over.

My second schooling was much better. Lots more dryers.. good shampoos. Clean towels, nice nice nice people!!! My instructor also hated curved shears and thinners. But she always had a smile on her face, a way with dogs, always willing to share what she knew. I had a good time!
    Debbie

[/QUOTE] I found an old, but good, hydraulic table for $75 on Craiglist. What a find!! And it swiveled lol. Painted the bottom, put a new top on.[/QUOTE]
    OMG Deb! I had been using this same table (was bought for me new 27 yrs ago as a Christmas gift). The turquoise box, mine still had perfect paint......BUT the hydraulics finally failed So I had to get a new table and hubby has my old one in his motorcycle shop.
    I used that table for so long, I still miss it............
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

I found an old, but good, hydraulic table for $75 on Craiglist. What a find!! And it swiveled lol. Painted the bottom, put a new top on.[/QUOTE]
    OMG Deb! I had been using this same table (was bought for me new 27 yrs ago as a Christmas gift). The turquoise box, mine still had perfect paint......BUT the hydraulics finally failed So I had to get a new table and hubby has my old one in his motorcycle shop.
    I used that table for so long, I still miss it............[/QUOTE]

Awww...I know, I loved that is swiveled!!! I got a new table, electric that goes pretty low. I figure since I will have big dogs until they put my sorry a$$ in a nursing home, might as well get one that makes it easier to get them on the table lol.
    Debbie