Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: #3 Blade ?

Default #3 Blade ?

Fall is here and I am looking start leaving my dogs a little longer. I am thinking of getting a # 3 blade, it leaves the hair 1/2 inch long. I have Oster plastic snap on combs, but I am thinking a blade may be a better choice. I also see a lot of groomers talk about metal combs, I guessing they are thinner, and go thru the hair easier. My question is should I invest in a couple of 3s or go with a metal comb set ? Thanks in advance.

Wahl metal comb set, definitely! I rarely use any of my blades anymore, other than #30 under the stainless steel combs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I own a few #3 (actually #3 3/4F )blades, as well as both plastic 1/2" and Wahl metal 1/2" combs, so here is one groomers opinion. Keep in mind that any comb attachment must be used on completely combable hair, so they are not as forgiving to a snarl or tangle like a blade will be. Coat prep is essential. I actually prefer to use my comb attachments because the coat still stands out from the skin, and allows for a fluffier texture clip, as opposed to your #3F blade which will flatten the coat. It may leave the same length, but will not have the same finish. I only use the Wahl metal combs now, having a set for both my Motion (also compatable with any of their Bravura style 5 in 1 clippers) as well as the set that hinges over a #30 blade (never use a #40 under metal combs or the teeth on your blade will break off). Also IMO, the metal combs glide through the coat more smoothly and leave a better finish with less effort than a plastic set of combs. I know that other manufacturers make comparable metal combs now, but when they first came out, the other brands were magnetic and I loved the clip over the blade with side rails security of the Wahl's. (Probably my own insecurities from using plastic combs since they were "new technology " and one small tangle would rip the comb off of your blade, potentially resulting in a #40 stripe down your beautiful clip!) Will you be going to Groom Expo at Hershey? All of the major manufacturers will be there and have demos where you can compare comb attachments and choose what works best for you. My vote is for you to invest in the metal comb set over more #3 blades. You won't regret it!

All coats clip different. That being said why don't you invest in a 3 3/4F and a 5/8 HT blade, a 30 blade and a few metal comb attachments and see what works best for you on what pet you are working on at the time. Or you could buy a Bravaura with a 5 in 1 blade and a set of metal combs for it.
    All my plastic combs that come with new clippers go straight to the trash, I hate plastic combs and always have........
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by ABDG View Post
    Wahl metal comb set, definitely! I rarely use any of my blades anymore, other than #30 under the stainless steel combs.

WOW........this is me all over..........I haven't used a straight blade on the body of a dog probably in 6-7 years...always use Wahl snap on blades. I do use a blade only on a schnauzer and SCWT heads. I have probably have a half dozen blades, in their original packages, that were purchased before my SS guards, just sitting in a bin for years.

Happy snapping on

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

As a groomer, I prefer combs, although I am prone to doing a bladed body, scissored leg.

THAT BEING SAID, if you are not an experienced groomer, and just doing your personal dogs at home, and without the access to a professional dryer/other prep, I think you would get a much better finish with a #3F.

Suggestion buy a Bravura and comb attachment set. Hands down the best clipper purchase I have made. Although I use it set to a #40. Was 5 aught that way . Tried the 30 but meh... coats weren't as nice looking

Honestly I never liked the 3 3/4 or 5/8 blade . Like stayed earlier it makes a flat coat. Could make the dog nicer looking with comb attachment

I only use combs over a 10, 30, or 40 blade unless the dog is completely pelted. That's the only time I put a blade directly on a dog anymore. I love the metal blades, they go through the coat so much better. I've even used metal combswhen doing wet shaves.

I use a 3F, 3 3/4F, and a 5/8 blade quite a bit. I have a few customers who like the metal combs and underneath I use a #30 blade. Really I think it's personal choice whatever you decide to use though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ABDG View Post

This is pretty much me. I own a huge assortment of blades and used them all for years and years as well as plastic combs, but the Wahl metal combs were a game changer for me. I still use 40 a lot for feet, and 10 on Poodle faces, but almost everything else is a SS comb over a 30. Just about the only time I use my longer blades is when I'm reverse clipping a smoothie, and then only sometimes depending on texture.

I will say that while I love my 1/2 inch comb, I will almost always reach for my Buttercut 3 blade first. I've used several other 3s in my time but that buttercut is like magic and it goes through the coat much more easily than a comb, in my opinion. However, if you have good prep work, that shouldn't be an issue.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast