Thread: shedding aussi

Default shedding aussi

I had a client with an Australian shepherd who I gave a bath to and deshed on Tuesday. They called yesterday to ask what kind of shampoo I used because the dog has not stopped shedding since Tuesday and is not acting the same. They took the dog to the vet and the vet could not find anything wrong with him. The dog was crazy for the whole process but the owner was right there with me the entire time. I feel bad that the owners think it was something I did or used to or on their dog . I used Davis Brightning shampoo on him and that was it. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what others are going to say, but whenever I deshed a dog, it will usually keep shedding (decreased amounts) for a couple days after. If he was really packed with undercoat, it could explain why he is not acting the same(probably skin feels really good and can breathe again). It doesn't really seem to matter which shampoo you use, as the art of deshedding requires warm water and a clean coat. The warm water helps to release the coat, the conditioner releases tough matts, the hv dryer blows them out of the dog. I always tell my clients that me doing a deshed, is not going to result immediately in your dog not shedding, but should significantly reduce the amount of shedding that you see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hucksmom View Post
    I'm not sure what others are going to say, but whenever I deshed a dog, it will usually keep shedding (decreased amounts) for a couple days after. If he was really packed with undercoat, it could explain why he is not acting the same(probably skin feels really good and can breathe again). It doesn't really seem to matter which shampoo you use, as the art of deshedding requires warm water and a clean coat. The warm water helps to release the coat, the conditioner releases tough matts, the hv dryer blows them out of the dog. I always tell my clients that me doing a deshed, is not going to result immediately in your dog not shedding, but should significantly reduce the amount of shedding that you see.

Sounds like you explained it very well Huck!
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

People like that scare the hell out of me. Always looking to blame the groomer.

I feel the same way, Glitteratti. I know they care and love their dog that and I respect them for that. It's just that some owners has the tendency to exaggerate the problem and it's kinda hard to avoid or settle with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hucksmom View Post

I agree

I agree. I always tell my clients their pet may have fall out when I'm done and if they don't want him shedding they need to come in on a regular basis. I always wash with diluted shampoo x2 and conditioner and a silk spray. Some dogs after the bath it almosts seems like I made it worse, because the coat is loosened.

If it is a pet that that hasn't seen a groomer in a very long time I do let them know that I will remove everything that freely comes off. Also that the skin will possibly tense up a bit due to the abnormal stimulation. A few days after their pet may just drop coat that has loosened but not released as the skin relaxes. For them to not worry. I do automatically schedule them a 10 min apt 3 days out for a quick dry blow and brushout. (Only if it is a pet that was packed) I also have this added in my pricing for their dog. If they end up not needing it great . but from experience, it is better to have already added than to not.

Moses how many people actually show up for that 10 min appt???

Did an Aussie about a week ago, hadn't seen him in 5 years. He was packed undercoat and took me 3 hours. He's a working dog, so dirty and smelly toohttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...df8b8d8d49.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5885f162db.jpg

Not many now that I limit my big guys! But before about 1/2. Mind you this was only set for guys that were packed, not regulars (4-8 weeks)