Default Is there such a thing as a flea shot???

Is there a shot you can give your pet to prevent fleas? This was just mentioned to me and I have never heard of it. They are saying you can get it at the vets.

I have never heard of this before, but I would be hesitant about injecting something into the pet as opposed to a topical, like Frontline or Advantage. A flea would have to bite to take in the pesticide, where as no bite is necessary to be affected by those I mentioned above. I would also worry about the drug being IN the pet causing some problems...just doesn't sound right. Perhaps this is an injectable form of Program? (which I don't like).

Naahh Flea shot

The clinic I work at doesn't offer one.Never heard of it.

If they are itching sometimes the vet gives a steroid shot, which makes them stop itching so I guess some owners would think it is getting rid of the fleas. They have to be treated for the fleas seperately tho.

Deanne

There is now an injectable form of Sentinal, which is given every 6 months. My major concern is that the fleas have to bite before they die. If your dog is allergic to flea saliva, it's not much help. And once it's in the dog, if they have a reaction to it, how do you get it out?

There is also an injectable form of Program for cats. Program is an insect growth regulator. It does not kill adult fleas, but they won't lay eggs that will hatch. You still have the problem of fleas biting the cat. Of course, eventually, you run out of adult fleas, lol. Even though it seems that way sometimes, they don't live forever.

Default flea shot

i never ever heard of this kind of thing i have heard of frontline and advantage that you put on your dog and you get that from the vet

Helly, isn't Sentinal a combo of Program and Interceptor? It comes in an oral form also. I know that when we were back in Virginia, we started using ProHeart, I think it was called, injectable heart worm prevention. It lasted 6 mos. It caused a lot of reactions, and I was pretty sure it was taken off the market? I am not sure though.

I know they have shots for fleas in Germany. I had friends and coworkers they used that on their dogs. I have never heard of an reaction to it and I have never spent attantion how it works because back then I didn't have dogs.
    But I asked my vet here about those shots and they said they don't have something like this here. This is probably for people who forgets every month to give the drops to the dogs.
    I use Revolution (after the fleas developed something like a resitance to fleas here), it is for fleas, ticks, earmites, mosquitos and it is also a heartworm prevention. It is topical and comes with little reminder stickers what I put on my calender. It works so great that I will never switch again. I get it from a website because it is a little cheaper then from the vet.

A few years ago, there was an injectible form of Program (the flea "birth control") available--primarily for cats. It was rather costly, and most vets recommended it only for cats (and a few small dogs) who were all but impossible to give pills to. If I remember right, it was an every 6 months injection.