Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern NV
    Posts
    3,832

    Default Odyssey batteries Dave?

    I'm thinking it's my batteries after all. After paying close attention to how fast they are charging, it's like zippity do dah, and bam I'm on float charge.

    I was reading another thread where you said you recommend the Odyssey battery. According to their specs a 100 AH battery should run 10 amps for ten hours before the voltage drops below 10.2. but that is at 100% DOD http://www.odysseybattery.com/faq.aspx

    If those specs are correct, I would have way more power than these ****** no name batteries I'm replacing every year.

    Of course Aims says I should anyway. Their technical support was a joke yesterday. Without even asking me what loads I'm running his solution is to send in the inverter for warranty repair. Passes me off to returns and that's that.

    Since I'm using only one motor most of the time, it seems like it would be more than enough if I get five of these batteries http://www.atbatt.com/odyssey-pc2150...le-battery.asp

    I don't get the fancy math you guys do to figure out my actual run times, but the specs on these batteries seem great.

    Yes, I can't get what I need from a generator anyway right now, so until I buy a new van in four years (when my depreciation is over) I'm stuck with batteries.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    I'm thinking it's my batteries after all. After paying close attention to how fast they are charging, it's like zippity do dah, and bam I'm on float charge.

    I was reading another thread where you said you recommend the Odyssey battery. According to their specs a 100 AH battery should run 10 amps for ten hours before the voltage drops below 10.2. but that is at 100% DOD http://www.odysseybattery.com/faq.aspx

    If those specs are correct, I would have way more power than these ****** no name batteries I'm replacing every year.

    Of course Aims says I should anyway. Their technical support was a joke yesterday. Without even asking me what loads I'm running his solution is to send in the inverter for warranty repair. Passes me off to returns and that's that.

    Since I'm using only one motor most of the time, it seems like it would be more than enough if I get five of these batteries http://www.atbatt.com/odyssey-pc2150...le-battery.asp

    I don't get the fancy math you guys do to figure out my actual run times, but the specs on these batteries seem great.

    Yes, I can't get what I need from a generator anyway right now, so until I buy a new van in four years (when my depreciation is over) I'm stuck with batteries.
    Im a huge fan of odysseys and use them in my boat business since late 2000's.
    I use pc2150's in my offshore boat. We ran them in our race boats.
    I will use them in the vans we build if building for AGM batteries.

    They are still batteries though and the same laws of use apply like 50% drain

    If I recall you are using a mod sine wave inverter (aims) and are using the aims built in panel to monitor your batteries health.
    Aimes charger or was it a progressive dynamics / temp controlled or not?

    Email me which model again and Ill see if I can napkin some run times.

    Remember every AC load is 10X when pulling from the bank.
    Then you accumulate losses like mod sine vs pure (20% for a motor based device ) then inverter efficiency under load - like another 10% then peukert.

    UD
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern NV
    Posts
    3,832

    Default

    Both inverters are pure sine.

    I have the newer one in my van now http://www.theinverterstore.com/3000...r-charger.html

    and I have the remote http://www.theinverterstore.com/low-...cd-remote.html

    Hubs is using the old one since he doesn't rely on it as much

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern NV
    Posts
    3,832

    Default

    Going to the inverter store Monday. Now when I'm plugged in the inverter arbitrarily goes to inverter mode instead of staying on A/C Charge mode. Switch it off and back on and it goes back to charge. I don't know what the heck is going on.

    Still would like the info on the batteries though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    Going to the inverter store Monday. Now when I'm plugged in the inverter arbitrarily goes to inverter mode instead of staying on A/C Charge mode. Switch it off and back on and it goes back to charge. I don't know what the heck is going on.

    Still would like the info on the batteries though.
    Sounds like your unit is toast.

    I pretty much stick with Outback for my commercial inverter needs.

    Ive got a simple sheet I'm working on for you, will put it up later today.

    Im getting a bit over 2 hours of dryer run time to 50% in that config.


    UD

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Heres a quick breakdown, peukert is just an estimate so Im rounding down at the final....

    5 PC 2150 =500AH or 250 AH to 50% SOC

    aims 3000 has a 88% nominal efficiency
    add 5% for line losses
    add 5% for puerkert (actually extremely complex)

    K9II on one motor is approx = 9 amps.

    9x 10= 90 AMPS draw
    90 + 12% for the nominal inverter efficiency is 100.8 (well round to 101)
    101 + 5% for line losses and round up to 107
    107 amps per hour add peukert were at 112 AH

    You can run that dryer 2.2 hours total to get to about 50% SOC.
    Round down to 2 hours just because.

    At 50% SOC you start the van.

    Wiring can effect use and charge performance, bad or old motors can pull more current. A multitude of things can effect performance.

    A non temp compensated charger will cost you battery life, This detail is a must you cant cheap out.

    You need a real meter - like a Bogart trimetric or a Balmar – to give you an accurate number of AH used and remaining – the chintzy little aims meter is just a dumb voltmeter.


    UD
    Last edited by Uncle Dave; 07-16-16 at 06:51 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern NV
    Posts
    3,832

    Default

    Thanks a bunch!

    I made it to the inverter store Friday and it was a setting issue with the inverter. Their troubleshooting book leave everything to be desired, didn't even mention that could be an issue. But as I asked the tech why would they just arbitrarily switch back? Is it the movement of the van? Because we don't get anywhere near those switches and until two weeks ago everything was running perfectly. Dunno. Oh well THAT'S helpful, thank you SO much.

    However, because of these little tiny switches, I think my batteries may be shot. He recommended running them on the desulph mode for an hour to see if it helps. I had a strange day today so I didn't really get a chance to see whether my power was going to hold out.

    I doubt I'll swallow the huge pill of the outback inverter since I plan to dump this van in a few years anyway, and then I'll probably do a hybrid system on the next one. I think I can handle the Odyssey batteries though and once I figure out what's going on with mine I 'll look into those. I really appreciate you taking the time to work out that math for me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    Thanks a bunch!

    I made it to the inverter store Friday and it was a setting issue with the inverter. Their troubleshooting book leave everything to be desired, didn't even mention that could be an issue. But as I asked the tech why would they just arbitrarily switch back? Is it the movement of the van? Because we don't get anywhere near those switches and until two weeks ago everything was running perfectly. Dunno. Oh well THAT'S helpful, thank you SO much.

    However, because of these little tiny switches, I think my batteries may be shot. He recommended running them on the desulph mode for an hour to see if it helps. I had a strange day today so I didn't really get a chance to see whether my power was going to hold out.

    I doubt I'll swallow the huge pill of the outback inverter since I plan to dump this van in a few years anyway, and then I'll probably do a hybrid system on the next one. I think I can handle the Odyssey batteries though and once I figure out what's going on with mine I 'll look into those. I really appreciate you taking the time to work out that math for me.
    If you dont get a handle on whats killing the current ones you'll probably just kill the odysseys.

    I wouldn't desuplhate these current batteries you have as a group but would put each one on its own charger to optimize before using again.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    1,067

    Default

    Just sayin you guys are amazing. All that we learn to be groomers but mobilers are such techies too!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •