Default Two questions, one inverter, one generator

This was odd. My inverter system has been doing great since my isolator was installed. I've never run out of power or triggered the low power alarm. Wednesday I did six dogs, the last one being a cocker I was able to use both motors on, no issues, still plenty of power afterwards. Yesterday, I start out fully charged and on the second dog my power dies. I was running my engine by this time which should have charged me up. Plus, I had barely used any power before as it was a puppy's first groom and I used my stand dryer on low heat. I wasn't watching my power lights figuring no way should I have run out of power. Now this morning, I made doubly sure I was on float charge batteries fully charged. I washed the first dog and my power just dropped like a rock. I made it through the day without any problems (Five dogs today) but I am really nervous. Every time my batteries have started to fail in the past it was a slow death. I'd get through four dogs, three dogs, two dogs, and needed to plug in from the get go. This would happen over several weeks. Thoughts?

Now about the generator. Hubs thinks he just wants to run the generator out of the bed of his truck. However the generator specifically says not to do that, but no reason why. When we search online about it, it seems many many people run them out of the bed of the truck. Can anyone give me reasons not to?

It's not recommended to run it out of a truck bed due to it can be a fire hazard. Of course you see many work trucks on the road with gens sitting in the bed or permanently mounted on the bed, like welding and fence companies, mobile car detailers. I would make sure the gen exhaust faces the rear and there's nothing in the bed to catch fire. Of course have a fire extinguisher in both the tow vehicle and the trailer.

Don't know anything about your gen, but my Onan gen guys told me that I must keep the removable door closed so that the gen sucks cooling air from the bottom and circulates it to a certain part of the generator to keep it cool. If I leave the door open, then the air no longer being sucked into this tunnel, but all over, and the gen will overheat. Seems like a poor design, since the gen becomes so hot, it becomes untouchable. You would think that opening all areas would cool it down better and faster, but they tell me different.

Happy getting new batteries.

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    This was odd. My inverter system has been doing great since my isolator was installed. I've never run out of power or triggered the low power alarm. Wednesday I did six dogs, the last one being a cocker I was able to use both motors on, no issues, still plenty of power afterwards. Yesterday, I start out fully charged and on the second dog my power dies. I was running my engine by this time which should have charged me up. Plus, I had barely used any power before as it was a puppy's first groom and I used my stand dryer on low heat. I wasn't watching my power lights figuring no way should I have run out of power. Now this morning, I made doubly sure I was on float charge batteries fully charged. I washed the first dog and my power just dropped like a rock. I made it through the day without any problems (Five dogs today) but I am really nervous. Every time my batteries have started to fail in the past it was a slow death. I'd get through four dogs, three dogs, two dogs, and needed to plug in from the get go. This would happen over several weeks. Thoughts?

Now about the generator. Hubs thinks he just wants to run the generator out of the bed of his truck. However the generator specifically says not to do that, but no reason why. When we search online about it, it seems many many people run them out of the bed of the truck. Can anyone give me reasons not to?

Id check all the connection and make sure they were all tight.

Ive run gensets out of truck beds for decades camping - It's not recommended but neither is towing at 70 -

Just keep the intake an exhaust clear and secure it properly and of course .

I wouldnt don't blow the exhaust at the trailer myself - Id point it toward teh street and make sure hubby gets a carbon monoxide detector in the trailer.

UD

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    Don't know anything about your gen, but my Onan gen guys told me that I must keep the removable door closed so that the gen sucks cooling air from the bottom and circulates it to a certain part of the generator to keep it cool. If I leave the door open, then the air no longer being sucked into this tunnel, but all over, and the gen will overheat. Seems like a poor design, since the gen becomes so hot, it becomes untouchable. You would think that opening all areas would cool it down better and faster, but they tell me different.

Happy getting new batteries.

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
    Your guy is right well mostly.

Most Onan RV gensets need the service cover on to route air properly and will slowly overheat if you run them with that cover off.

Yes these air cooled gasoline gensets run very hot.

"Camp" or home backup type gensets Tom mounts are made to run with no enclosure.

UD