Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Goofy Did yesterday really happen?

I let my scheduling get out of hand yesterday. This is mostly rant but also a request for advice.
    (1)Two evil Corgies scheduled to arrive at 9 and go home at 1. At drop off wife says she needs to leave them until 3. Okay. She calls at 12 and leaves message that husband will pick up at 1. He shows up at 1:30. (2)A St Poo and smooth coat dog are scheduled for 11:00. Lady calls night before and says she needs to drop off at 9:30 and asks if they will be ready sooner. I say no, canít change appt time but they can come early and wait. Okay. She calls at 9:15 and says she will be in at 11. Shows up at 11:30 and says she needs her dogs an hour earlier than I tell her because she has a vet appt. Asst checked them in because I took an early lunch break to go to a clientís funeral. Asst told her we would do what we could but we need more time to get them both done. Got both dogs done but poo didn't get clean face and feet. She shows up Ĺ hour later than she said she would and is angry about the face and feet. Says she will wait for me to do them. (3) 12:30 boarding dog drops off Ĺ hour early. Iím still at the funeral. (4) 1:30 new dog appt (Shih Tzu that turns out to be a 33 lb Cocker mix) told me she would drop off at 9:30 on way to work and pick up at 4:30 on way home. Okay. (I usually donít keep dogs all day but we planned this.) At drop off says she has a light day so she will pick up at 2. I say no, dogís appt is not until 1:30 and dog will be ready at 4:30. Okay. She shows up at 3:00. Dog is not ready and goes nuts when sees her. Poo on table getting clean feet goes nuts as well. I finally get everyone out of the salon, go in the house and find an email from Cocker owner saying I missed a spot when I was clipping the dog and she will bring the dog back on Tues or Wed. Um, this is a dog that was butchered with a 10 blade 6 months ago and I put a lot of work into trying to blend the mess. Not to mention that sweet little Ms Piddles does that when touched with a comb, won't stand and is a land shark with paws, and she was going nuts because Mom was there. Now, what do I do so this doesnít happen again? Solution must include not driving all my clients away and no alcohol for me. I could have told the Cocker lady that since she came back, I couldn't finish her dog. (but she works for a holistic vet who sends me clients.) The poo lady could have been told to come back another day for clean feet but then I'd have to deal with her lateness all over again. I was really afraid to say anything to any of these people because I was so pissed off that I might have said something that I'd regret.

This time just chalk it up to one of those days. If these people repeat, have a conversation with them.

Yes, just one of those days. If this is happening a lot for you, maybe you should stop letting the clients pick and choose what time they come and go. You have a schedule to keep to get all the pets groomed well in a timely manner. Most clients have no idea what it takes to groom their pet...and many of them think theirs is the only one that matters.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    This time just chalk it up to one of those days. If these people repeat, have a conversation with them.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^
    AND Karla is correct....most not only think theirs is all that matters but also that theirs is the ONLY dog there for the day.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

I agree just one of those days, and next time at least you will be forewarned of what to possibly expect. If it keeps up, and cannot be resolved, sometimes you just have to let one go. Hopefully that won't happen.

I think you all are right. It was a full moon.
    But I think I will institute one rule: If you can not make your pre-scheduled appointment for drop off and/or pick up, you have ONE other chance to keep the appointment: Drop off between 8:30-9:00 and/or pick up between 5:30-6:00. Sound reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by BeeJL View Post
    I think you all are right. It was a full moon.
    But I think I will institute one rule: If you can not make your pre-scheduled appointment for drop off and/or pick up, you have ONE other chance to keep the appointment: Drop off between 8:30-9:00 and/or pick up between 5:30-6:00. Sound reasonable?
    That's reasonable.

Over 18 years and I still get days like yours. I let people stay and watch every day of the week. I don't, however, like it when they show up half way through a groom and their dog goes nuts. I tell the same people over and over and over to stay the whole time or go the whole time. They NEVER get it. EVER. I'm in college and the human half of my customer base is a big reason I am so ready to do something else.

Hope you have had some better days by now. I had a bunch of odd new customers this week.

Yes, things have been uphill from that day. If not, I'd be on a different forum. The dog that I "missed a spot" on came in two weeks later and the spot was where I left a little hair to try and hide some of the very swayed back. I explained that I was trying to make her ugly, overweight dog look a little nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeJL View Post
    Yes, things have been uphill from that day. If not, I'd be on a different forum. The dog that I "missed a spot" on came in two weeks later and the spot was where I left a little hair to try and hide some of the very swayed back. I explained that I was trying to make her ugly, overweight dog look a little nicer.
    Haha. I've done exactly the same thing!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ItzaClip! View Post
    Haha. I've done exactly the same thing!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    That's one of my favorite things in grooming is fault styling, the little tricks, to make stumpy legs look taller where they should, I would love to hear more tricks you guys have. Glad things are better beejl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast