Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Geek Business Plans Take Time

We've sold enough Pet Grooming Business Plan Helpers & Samplers now that feedback is coming in regularly here and personally to us. It's great to see that so many of you are having mostly to very positive experiences.

I've written more 200 funded plans alone for pet care people. Everyone of them took 30 days or more. The process is so valuable NOW because you are working in the FUTURE, the more you work on the FUTURE in the NOW, the more the FUTURE turns out what you want it to be NOW.

Make sense, yes we have a great power to create realities. Not one of the plans I wrote for others was without wonderful moments of enlightenment. OMG this and OMG, had we done that route we would have ended up in Timbuktu. Ideas translated to words, words translate to dollars.

So you see the dollars and say, hey we can do this, but we need to change that, or don't rent that place, or buy this, buy that instead and this is the max rent we must work with, etc etc etc.

The fun part for every plan were the discoveries. You are going to change a lot of ideas NOW for a better FUTURE. Life follows our thinking, and so does business. The more you plan HONESTLY, the more likely you will succeed. We can be dishonest and say, the day the business opens I will have 10 dogs a day from thereon, wrongo in the congo.

Just a few years I had the EXTREME gift to work with a megamillionaire businessman who was one of the inventors of the self storage industry. He made $100M in one day finally going public, and this man took me under his wing on a project. Entrepreneurs that you see in magazines can't believe sometimes that I had that experience, they would beg to work under him, and the point is this. The secret to his success in business was 4 words.

UNDER PROMISE, OVER DELIVER

Every project he did, and he did 751 of them, mostly using other people's money, was a financial success and he was seen as a miraculous guru. He followed those four words in all his deals.

I will tell the full story some day, perhaps on our talk show. Now, you can apply the same adage to your plan. The first year in business is the make or break if you don't have a lot cash reserves.

UNDER PROMISE - When you project how many pets you will groom each month for the first 12 months, BE ULTRA CONSERVATIVE, even if it looks like, come on, I can do better than that easily. Match your operating expenses to the income your project. Spend what you need to have quality but don't overbuild, you may need 3 workstations later, but get the space and build out later...there are a dozen facets like this. OK, can you breakeven year 1, or perhaps endure a modest loss, and during the first year, don't get indebted on personal goodies, yes sacrifice, you are birthing a baby, your business, that is going to be your income. Yet you do have to spend enough to market and advertise etc...but certainly you can go without some things personally and put your money into the business. As a result you are likely to OVER DELIVER. Wow, we did better than what we said!! And if you have investors, they think you are a financial guru too.

UNDER PROMISE, OVER DELIVER. You cannot go wrong, it's the basis of many genius minds in the real world of business planning.

Also, I must tell you something else he taught me. The plan I worked with him was HUGE and needed to be. The financials and studies were over 500 pages in detail almost unimaginable except for Fortune 500 companies, and that actually is why he took me under his wings. THEN, he said, NEVER GO TO INVESTORS WITH ANYTHING MORE THAN 2 PAGES OF NUMBERS. THAT'S WHAT REAL INVESTORS WANT, THE SUMMARY FINANCIALS. IF THEY WANT TO SEE DETAIL, THEN DO THAT.

Well what a learning on how to do that, and it's true, people giving you $250K and more just want 2 page summary of vision and numbers, and then they ask for investment documents or send you their CPA name.

Now in our Workshops for groomers we had everyone raise their hand and explain why are they in grooming or going to be a groomer. "Well I don't like people, love dogs, it's my passion, etc" That's fine and real. After 5 days the better students would say, "After studying the market in my area I found there were 50,000 households with dogs and cats and only 3 grooming businesses serving the market. With a $50,000 investment I can establish a state of the art salon earning $200,000 gross sales of services within 3 years and earning net operating income of $89,000 for the owners."

That's the businessperson that groomers. It was remarkable to see everyone stand up and deliver and enjoy their maturity, they should be proud. If you have never read The Next Generation at PetGroomer.com see www.petgroomer.com/careerwatch.htm and you can read their 1 minute presentations. People in business know how to judge you by how walk, stand, appear and express your vision of your business and doors open, shock em! You put the groomer on hold, and become the businessperson when doing business, then go back to the groomer.

The business plan process creates businesspersons that groom. I am talking behind the scenes with "biggies" in grooming and we are shocked and proud at how many groomers are writing plans, it portends a more professional industry and justifying better fees for groomers' hard work.

More Box products are coming. What takes the most time is making this advanced training SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE. For example, many of those off the shelf business plan software programs at Staples or Office Depot are top notch, but they still assume you know a lot of bookkeeping and accounting. They don't know how to project pet households or wages for groomers. We do, we worked all that in to make it as SIMPLE as possible. Yes, 2 years to make that product and why? Simple instruction is terribly time consuming and hard, but it is working. We get so few support calls for the product, and so many endorsements from people having success in funding one way or another, but like some have said, people are so impressed. "Wow, you wrote this plan?!?" It's worth the work and a plan well done always gets strokes too.

Take your time if you can. If you are employed now and want a salon or mobile or home business in the future, it's never too early to write your plan and just update as you go along. What we think and think about now does indeed show up in our future, so keep in mind that there is truth in that the FUTURE IS NOW. The more you work on future dreams now, the earlier they may come and be more vital, worthy and stable because you put them to test in the your mind now, rather than learning by trial and error downline.

Stephan-Are you going to have the box at any shows?

Stephen: Several shows in 2008 when everything is done, and more surprises.

im working on business plan what are the price for a box i dont see any prices on the website humm maybe i overlooked

Thumbs up The Box Rocks!

I'm using a private lender but I'm really nervous about not knowing exactly where I'm going with my new business so I decided to get the box and make a real plan. I told my accountant about it but that I was concerned about spending money on that now. She told me to get it - the sooner the better. I did and it is great! Thanks so much Stephen for providing all the information and at an affordable price.
    Bee

Stephen: Thanks, it has helped many, I love hearing the stories they send about getting their funds, at least feeling more confident. I am actually having a typeset version for bookstores made and shocking to me, a comptroller of a Fortune 500 company has given me a glowing endorsement that he couldn't believe that he would find somebody who had made the process as easy as it can be but it would be for groomers of all things. Blew him away. Everybody who has bought the current version will receive a free copy of the bookstore version in Winter. I wish you success!

This is all great, but what if you're already in business? I bought an existing business 1 1/2 years ago, and am still struggling!

Stephen: I created the Box so let me answer. It is commonly used, as business plans are, for existing businesses. For example, you want to buy an existing business, the bank will ask for their bookkeeping/tax statements to date perhaps, and then you show under your management what you would do with the business. Therefore, with Pet Grooming Business Plan Helper, if the business is already established, when you chart 5 years ahead with the Box product, in Year 1 you can insert the CURRENT ACTUAL (your business, or one you are buying) financial performance based on real records, and then Years 2 through 5, represent a projection of your goals, the future.

Default BP for Canadians

Hi, Will this business in a box - business plan be appropriate for us Canadians? Anyone out there from Canada who may have used it already? And what were your final results?

Tndrapoodle I was also wondering this...

Yes, we have sold it worldwide. and have groomer clients in 14 countries.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the FAQ section, or in the Board Help Forum. Thanks for coming to PetGroomer.com http://www.petgroomer.com.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2