Default Permanent Impairment From Cat Bite

I just wanted to let everyone know what happened to me last year when I got bitten by a cat. Please get to a doctor right away if a cat bites you and breaks the skin! I have been grooming for 20 years, and I now have permanent joint and nerve damage, due to a severe infection in my left hand from a cat bite. I got bitten early in the morning, and was told by my employer not to go for medical assistance until the groomers had completed all the haircuts for the day. It was after 6pm that evening , when I finally got to see a doctor. By that time, I could not move my left hand or wrist at all, and I had severe blood poisoning. I had to get I.V. antibiotics, every day for a week. I was out of work for 3 months, and had hand therapy. But I have lost about 65-75% of the use of my left hand, due to the infection destroying joint and nerve tissue. I can no longer groom dogs over about 25-30 lbs. I have started my own housecall business, grooming only small dogs. Needless to say, I have suffered a significant drop in income. Docors say the damage is permanent, due partly to the fact that I had to wait so long before seeing a physician. So my advice to anyone, regarding a cat bite-Don't wait! See a doctor immediately!

I am sorry to hear about that. That is such a shame. I agree with you 100% about seeing a doctor right away. I knew someone who had to get surgery because of a cat bite, that put her out of work for quite some time. I hope you got some sort of compensation from your employer.

Default Absolutley awful! Unreal!

My heart really goes out to you!
    Ahhhhh what more to say! Just awful!

Shame on your former employer!!!
    Erica

Default Wow

I am so glad you shared you story. I am going to be learning to work on cats pretty soon here and my instructor has emphasized the importance of seeing a doctor if you get bit, but I really didn't think it was such a big deal. I've been bit by my own cats before and it was no big deal.

It is good to know that it is really is critical to get help.

Thank you for sharing.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be talking to an attorney. No way should you be forced to accept a drastic drop in income due to your employer's negligence. And that's what it is, too. Negligence.

I must say that as an EMPLOYER I am shocked that your employer would delay medical attention on any type of work related injury, especially a cat bite. If I were you I'd sue their pants off, how cruel!