Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I believe that there is always a demand for male groomers ALL over the U.S. I love knowing that wherever I live, I can always make a living grooming dogs. Many places have groomers, like myself, that would love a mature, stable, strong male groomer to step in and help. Best wishes & follow your heart! Let us know where you land.

Thank you for answering I will have to look for a school that I can afford I may be mistaken but thought merryfield was like twenty grand out of my range.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie01 View Post
    Thank you for answering I will have to look for a school that I can afford I may be mistaken but thought merryfield was like twenty grand out of my range.
    Can't say what they charge today but students attending are eligible for federal funds. Call. Until you ask it's all guesswork - and no one charges for answering questions. GREGG DOCKTOR ( owner) is one of the easiest people in the world to talk to.

You aren't too old for grooming until your body or patience goes. I am late 20s and my body already lets me know I can't do this forever, but I have seen 60 yr olds that would be very well suited for this job. If it is your passion and you have a good idea about what grooming really entails, go for it! I would rather hire someone any age that can actually handle the job than a 18-20yr old that just wants to play with dogs all day and get payed for it.

When I was 62 I opened a "House Call" Grooming Service. I originally attended Grooming School when I was 17. I paid most of my way thru college, and later I gave it up to pursue a career in professional photography. It was just to hard to do both. Fast Forward to 2015, I retired and was looking to stay active, so I started doing dogs for my family, which took me up to 4 pets per month, and when I got going I ran a small newspaper ad, and advertised online. Now two years later I have a client list of around 100-150 pets, which comes out to about 3-4 house calls per week, and about 12-15 dogs a month. I could do more, but I have some other commitments that take up my time. No one has ever questioned my age, or ability.

I think I will groom well into my 60's, but I stopped doing the large dogs.

Ironically, this old thread, came true for us. We hired a mid 50's male as a bather and some assistant work. He is very stable and reliable and mature. I would be open to more male workers just for the balance. It seems to work, as long as you don't have substance issues ( not saying it is more likely for males at all). But you don't get what you may expect when there are those issues.

Go for it and good luck!!

You are not too old. Just don't overburden yourself with doing huge dogs, heavy lifting and the like.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2