Default Shaved double coat in competition

One of the things I thought might be interesting to those of us who don't shave double coats is that in one of the grooming competitions at Superzoo 2015 a large double coat was shaved and made the top 10 of about 60 dogs.

I've always said that is a true test of a good groomer. Not a seven strip necessarily but if you can make a double coat clip down look good, you are a good groomer. I am one who does not clip them down.

It can look good I guess but is it ethical since you risk permanently damaging the coat and messing up the dog's thermoregulation? Is shaving a double coated dog really all that bad? Should it be done in cases of severe matting or is a slow dematting process preferable? I'm genuinely curious. I don't like to shave double coated dogs and discourage it mainly because the owner's motives aren't in line with shaving the dog. When I call into question the motives of these owners, the answers are almost always either the dog being hot in the summer or shedding. After explaining the purpose of the double coat, offering a shedless treatment and informing them of the possible damage to the coat, the vast majority of my pet parents opt to not shave.

If the owner does elect to shave, what can I do to encourage the healthiest coat growth? I don't think I'll have many shavedown requests for double coated dogs until next spring but what can I do for the shaved dogs from this past summer when they come in for fall and winter baths?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I clip double coats all day every day (in the summer, anyway) and I find that a 3r leaves a nice finish on a Golden that wants a shave. For whatever reason, I just can't seem to make 7 (or even 4r) look completely smooth. I seem to have the most trouble with German Shepherds, and those people love the 7s.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I didn't really pay much attention to how good the shave was I just thought that it was interesting that a shave placed so high in competition.

Quote Originally Posted by gsds4me View Post
    I clip double coats all day every day (in the summer, anyway) and I find that a 3r leaves a nice finish on a Golden that wants a shave. For whatever reason, I just can't seem to make 7 (or even 4r) look completely smooth. I seem to have the most trouble with German Shepherds, and those people love the 7s.

Ewww. I hate GSD shaves, especially with a 7F. I had once guy that always said "make him look like a malinois." Well sir, I have raised malinois, and that shaved dog will certainly not look like one. GSDs are the one breed I successfully talk people out of shaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragynwing View Post
    If the owner does elect to shave, what can I do to encourage the healthiest coat growth?
    The thing that causes coat re growth problems as I understand it, is follicle crowding. Thorough and regular carding can help fix this problem and encourage the coat to return faster and prettier. I prefer the Equigroomer for this task, it works beautifully on very short coats.

Another thing you can do is keep the coat as long as possible. If they ask for a summer cut I automatically do a 4 or 5, depending on the dog's coat thickness. Most owners are satisfied with this length as long as you don't tell them you left it longer than you could have.

I always stress to my clients that a good deshed before shaving a double coat is a must if they want it to look decent and have a better chance of growing back properly. Also consistant brushing at home to make sure the coat stays healthy as it grows back. I never recommend shaving, but if they still want it after my warnings this is my next step. I have done some decent looking shavedowns by just doing a good deshed first, and a final brush or card after the cut.

The thing that bothers me the most is that at my corp at least, it costs less to do a shave than it does a deshed treatment, and our customer base is very cost conscious. And now, with the new rules with the dryer hoses, the desheds are going to be less effective than they were before so we're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.