Default What is the truth about wet clipping?

I'm a new groomer, only been in the practice for about 6 months now, so I'm still learning and searching for new products and techniques.

Since my start at the salon all I've heard is that clipping a dog when wet is a terrible idea because it ruins your blades, but looking through this thread I'm really curious and would love to try a wet clip sometime.

So my questions are:
    Does wet clipping really ruin your blades as much as people say?
    What would warrant a wet clip?
    What size blade would be best for one/how would I judge what it would like after it's been dried?

Any other information anyone has would also be incredibly helpful and very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by MechaCoffee View Post
    So my questions are:
    Does wet clipping really ruin your blades as much as people say?
    What would warrant a wet clip?
    What size blade would be best for one/how would I judge what it would like after it's been dried?

Any other information anyone has would also be incredibly helpful and very much appreciated!
    I only wet shave extremely matted dogs to save my blades and make it a bit easier on me and the dog. As you know, shaving a pelted coat full of dirt and grime will cause your blades to dull quickly. Also heat up quickly. The water on the dog will keep your blade cool throughout the process and help the blade glide under tight mats better. At least, in my experience. I've never wet shaved with anything longer than a 7, but I'm sure there are those who do and get good results.

I have not had any rusty blades due to wet shaving, but that is because I take my blade apart and thoroughly dry and oil it immediately afterward. If you don't dry and oil, yes, they will get rusted.

http://groomwise.typepad.com/groomin...d-wet-cli.html

All the info you need including videos are at that link
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain