Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I heard somewhere that it was illegal to put flyers in peoples mailboxes?????

Has anyone else heard anything like this? I can understand not being allowed onto a private gated community to hand out flyers. But someone that I used to work with said that putting flyers in with peoples mail isn't allowed?

I've heard that too. I think it has to do with something to the fact that the mailbox is government owned. I could be wrong. I've had people put things on the mailbox (stuck in by the red flag arm) but not in it.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

You can hang doorknockers on the flag but you cannot open their mailbox. Something like tampering with federal mail.

It's true. You cannot put ANYTHING in a mailbox that has not been stamped and postmarked.

I believe it's okay to put flyers on the person's door, though. A lot of them get stuck in the handles of screen doors around here.

We've had some luck with putting a dog biscuit and business card in a tiny ziploc bag and placing them on doorsteps. Just stay away from homes/neighborhoods with no-soliciting signs/

You cannot put them in mailboxes it is illegal. In my town you have to get a solicitors permit to even hand them out. Everyone does it though. I believe you can put them on a mailbox but not in it. just call the post office to find out the exact rules.

I don't believe you can legally put anything IN the mailbox as that is federal property. Course, that doesn't stop the church accross the street from putting stuff in ours.
    I may be wrong tho!

that would be true. mailboxes are considered property of the us guvmint and as such it is a federal crime to put something in it that you did not buy a stamp for.

Mailboxes are not the property of the house owner until it comes time to replace one. They are considered United States Property and truly they are intended just for legitimate mail that goes through the postal service. I can't quote which one, but do know it is against the law to put things in mailboxes. It indeed could be considered tampering with the mail. You would probably get away with it most of the time, but I wouldn't do it. Most people don't ever turn anyone in for those pesky flyers they leave all over, in the mailbox and attached to doors.

Truly, isn't there something else you can do to advertise? Most people I know consider stuff like that trash and throw them away before they even read them. Coming from a well to do background, we always had stuff on our door, and I can guarantee we never used a business that littered on our doorstep. Some may feel it is harsh, but I say save your printing and your leg effort. It is like the hand written sign stapled to the telephone pole (illegal in a lot of areas, but done anyway) advertising tile work or mattresses for sale...who actually calls those things? If you want a new mattress, odds are you are not going to buy it off the side of the road. And if you want tile work done, I suggest you contact a legit business and get some references! If you believe a flyer is going to work for you, then do a legit mailing. Get a list of people in your area that actually own pets and have an income in the higher levels and target them.

Default You are correct

It's a federal offense.

You did not pay postage on the flyer & only postage paid items are allowed inside the mail box.

Not to mention you would not want everyone to have access to your mail (box) whenever anyone felt like it.

Erica

That's true, the post office doesn't allow it. They told me that the mailbox is USPS property and any item that doesn't have the correct postage on it cannot be placed in or on the mailbox. I know this because I distributed flyers in mailboxes and got a call from the post office.

Yes, I believe it is a federal offense to put something in a mailbox unless you are the box owner or a postal worker. Have you tried door hangers?

This is true. You can not use the inside of the mailbox, it is considered governtment property. You can however hang it from the mailbox

Karen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast