Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sleepy Long Tail Poodles

What do you do with a poodle whose tail has not been docked? Pet clip of course, but do you do anything special to the tail?

I have a min. poodle customer whose tail wasn't docked. I scissor it in a flag tail shape. Customer loves it.

Smile

It depends on what the owner wants, but usually I clip the base of the tail as normal, then just trim it up like a feather duster. I'm sure other groomers have more exciting trims and names!

I have a labradoodle client that looks like a poodle. I use a snap on comb on the tail leaving about an inch of hair, the whole length of the tail, it looks good. The owner has never said don't make him look like a poodle...which is a good thing since the only lab genes in this dog are in his feet.

I like to do the flag/fan tail also. I shave the top and sides of the tail same length as the body , than just trim up the bottom with a scissors. Kinda like a flowy golden or gordon tail.

Oh, I also have a cockapoo whose tail I do like Poodlepal describes. The other dog I mentioned has a very curly coat that wouldn't flag well.

Here in Austria it's forbidden to dock tails and ears since a while, therefore you see lotza poodles with long tails..
    I'm attaching a pic so it's easier for you to see...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just have to say, I don't like poodles with long tails and the standard poodle I am getting is definately having a docked tail, haha

I have one that comes in with the long tail. I just trim it like the fan trim.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

My poodle has an extremely strange tail. It curls around like a cup handle and rests on his back. Instead of a pom I trim it into a plume shape. Looks really nice.

I shave the base you the tail just like I would a docked tail, but I grow a larger circle on the end of it, and then I trim the end of the tail right down to the tip. Don't trim the tail unless you are holding it in it's upright position, or you will just make an un fixable Christmas tree. Once I hold it up right, I part the hair down the middle and trim the sides nice a round and ball like, then I comb n shake and trim hair that hangs past my clipper line. A bigger ball looks better to me. I have even seen someone do two pompoms on a long tail, that was cute too. I don't get that many of them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodlefluff View Post
    I shave the base you the tail just like I would a docked tail, but I grow a larger circle on the end of it, and then I trim the end of the tail right down to the tip. Don't trim the tail unless you are holding it in it's upright position, or you will just make an un fixable Christmas tree. Once I hold it up right, I part the hair down the middle and trim the sides nice a round and ball like, then I comb n shake and trim hair that hangs past my clipper line.
    I'm going to try that on my standard poodle. Thanks for the tips!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast