Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 13 to 22 of 22
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In Leave it to Beaver Valley UT
    Posts
    858

    Default

    Sorry! I forgot I posted this! The purpose of a pinwheel in hunters is to draw attention to the horse's butt. Pinwheels are not used in dressage, jumpers, equitation, Arabians, and Morgans. In those areas a folded braid is appropriate. In Arabs and Morgans, it's just because of how the horses carry themselves, it's just too much going on. I still hate them. I always showed with a folded braid, because I just couldn't get over the pinwheels. I was never a fan of my horse looking like a lollipop was sticking out of its rear end!

  2. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Me View Post
    Sorry! I forgot I posted this! The purpose of a pinwheel in hunters is to draw attention to the horse's butt. Pinwheels are not used in dressage, jumpers, equitation, Arabians, and Morgans. In those areas a folded braid is appropriate. In Arabs and Morgans, it's just because of how the horses carry themselves, it's just too much going on. I still hate them. I always showed with a folded braid, because I just couldn't get over the pinwheels. I was never a fan of my horse looking like a lollipop was sticking out of its rear end!
    Oh I think it looks very nice. I have a Irish Cob called Tinker
    She had a very long hair. Where do you learn this?

  3. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In Leave it to Beaver Valley UT
    Posts
    858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Oh I think it looks very nice. I have a Irish Cob called Tinker
    She had a very long hair. Where do you learn this?
    My mom showed internationally in jumpers. She did her own grooming.

  4. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    220

    Default I don't like them either

    I always liked a simpler pull up...more classy, & easier to keep nice
    but some trainers & owners think they're fancier and more professional
    some just do it to be different...can't tell jumping a course though...unless it unravels like I've seen a million times!

    was a cache fade that stuck like...bad..."call tag braids"

    just braid quick & tight ...
    I don't like the thick euro braids either!

    Hunters should show themselves with elbow grease & simplicity!

  5. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In Leave it to Beaver Valley UT
    Posts
    858

    Default

    Exactly! My mom taught me to braid adding no more than about 9 hairs when you do the add-in part of the plait on the tail. She was kinda picky. Lol, it was good for me though. My horses always had a habit of trying to rub their tails out the week before the show, which made braiding rather difficult. I'm guessing the reason behind the thicker braids is that no one bothers to braid anymore, and paying for a professional to do it is pretty expensive. So they're just doing a bad job of it. It'll phase out soon, the same way neon chaps in western pleasure did.

  6. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    southwest PA
    Posts
    302

    Default

    egad whoever came up with that thing!? i used to show hunter and wouldn't be caught dead with that thing sticking outta my horses tail. why not add some bright pink ribbon to tie it off...

    seriously, that just looks bad.

  7. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In Leave it to Beaver Valley UT
    Posts
    858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nuk View Post
    egad whoever came up with that thing!? i used to show hunter and wouldn't be caught dead with that thing sticking outta my horses tail. why not add some bright pink ribbon to tie it off...

    seriously, that just looks bad.
    Lol!!! I love it!

  8. #20

    Wow pinwheels

    I think that a bright pink ribbon would make it look better, who in the world thought of doing up the tail that way, we just used to tuck the access up under the tail, but our horses didnt have long tails like they do now, they were shortened to just below the hocks, so it made it easier to finish the tail. No I do not like the pinwheel

  9. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,954

    Default

    I want to hear this answer!


    Quote Originally Posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
    BTW, how did you get your pictures to post like that? Everyone else either has a link to their picts or you have to click to see the larger size.
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

  10. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Port Hawkesbury, N.S
    Posts
    50

    Default

    I don't know any of the horse lingo, actually I'm terrfied of horses. I did manage to get myself a really nice client with two shetland ponies, I just trim their mane now and then. They're the cutest things. The mare is "in foal", I think that's how you word it. Not just up the stump for these guys. lol
    Have to say, I love that pinwheel!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •