Confused Florida Pet Groomers: Pay taxes or not?

I have been told by a couple of people that a pet groomer in the state of Florida does not have to pay tax on income because groomers offer a service. Instead, the groomer pays the taxes when purchasing pet grooming products, tools, and equipment for the grooming business.

Are there any mobile pet groomers in Florida that are experienced in IRS filing. If so, is my statement above true? Just want to make sure. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Acosta View Post
    I have been told by a couple of people that a pet groomer in the state of Florida does not have to pay tax on income because groomers offer a service. Instead, the groomer pays the taxes when purchasing pet grooming products, tools, and equipment for the grooming business.

Are there any mobile pet groomers in Florida that are experienced in IRS filing. If so, is my statement above true? Just want to make sure. Thank you!
    FL does not have a state income tax...and it looks like services are not taxed in FL. well, except these: http://www.floridasalestax.com/Flori...IN-FLORID.aspx

BUT there is a sales and use tax that has top be paid and filed by businesses, so what you were told is semi correct. Still have federal taxes to deal with.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Everyone pays Federal income tax that lives and works in the United States. If your State such as Florida does not have a State income tax then you pay whatever other taxes your state requires but not State income taxes.

I 'think' you are talking about a sales tax on service? That is completely different than IRS taxes and has nothing to do with your federal filing or the IRS.

I can only speak about Nevada and Washington as far as sales tax on service. Neither state had it. We did/do have to pay what is called use tax on products that we consume. Meaning if we did not pay sales tax on our shampoo ie:bought if from a supplier out of state, usually quarterly, we would fill out a form listing what supplies we used that quarter and pay the use tax on it.

If you're in business for yourself you should have received this information when you applied and received your business license.

Okay, so pet groomer services are not taxed. And I am not selling any products. So when it's time to file federal income tax, I just enter the total of all my receipts for products and equipment I purchased for the year and enter the total of my earnings for the year?

Okay, so pet groomer services are not taxed. And I am not selling any products. So when it's time to file federal income tax, I just enter the total of all my receipts for products and equipment I purchased for the year and enter the total of my earnings for the year?
    I suggest finding an Accountant to do your taxes and give you a lesson in Accounting 101.

Yes, get bookkeeper help at minimum, maybe acct for your returns. It is more complicated. Far more. You are not paying just F.I.T., but now self employment taxes too. You will need to file a Schedule C, Schedule SE and Long Form 1040 at minimum. Go to www.irs.gov and download those and see what you think of them. You will need to do the same for your state, but you may have to pay unemployment OPTIONALLY on yourself with Florida, but they may have other state taxes for self employed.

REMEMBER you do not wait to pay your taxes annually. You are responsible to PAY ESTIMATED TAXES 4 times a year, and if you don't or underpay too much there are fines and penalties. So it is like doing the Schedule C and SE each calendar quarter, but you don't file it, you just figure what you would owe for that quarter, and just send an estimated payment in to cover that quarter. This is why you need a bookkeeper to tell you your quarterly estimates.

Locate your closest SBDC or SBA office and you may find free course on self employment taxes by local pros.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the FAQ section, or in the Board Help Forum. Thanks for coming to PetGroomer.com http://www.petgroomer.com.

Yes, that's basically what you do. Expenses total and Earnings total. I keep really good records. I have a spreadsheet in Google drive. The spread sheet contains all of my expenses. The date, place of purchase, description, amount, miles driven to pick up the purchase. You make a one time form in Google Drive and then use that form to enter all the info and it automatically places it into a spreadsheet. I use GroomSoft as my grooming software. That is where my earnings are totaled up automatically. If you're mobile, don't forget to add all the mileage. Mileage can be deducted too. Good Luck.