Grin Pink Clip Shoppe School of Dog Grooming in New Jersey

The Clip Shoppe School of Dog Grooming, a State Approved Private Vocational School, was established in answer to the need for trained dog groomers and the lack of grooming schools within the NJ, NY and PA area.

The Professional Dog Groomer Certificate Program includes a combination of hands-on training, instructor demonstrations, lectures and video. Our main objective is to help Students learn the essential elements to become a finished groomer and to graduate with the experience and confidence to gain employment and have a successful career in the pet care industry where there is a high demand for groomers.

The vision of the Clip Shoppe School of Dog Grooming is to raise the standards of the profession by teaching the most current methods of dog grooming, and by encouraging social responsibility in the treatment of dogs and their owners. Clip Shoppe’s guiding principle is to make a positive impact on the profession by teaching the students to make grooming a happy and pleasant experience for both the dog, and the groomer in their chosen place of employment.

Please visit our website at http://www.clipshoppeschoolofdoggrooming.com!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the FAQ section, or in the Board Help Forum. Thanks for coming to PetGroomer.com http://www.petgroomer.com.

I like the site. NJ could use some more schools. Geez Manhattan is void of good schools now I would think most students are going to have to go into NJ.

Yes it is amazing that NYC has almost no schools now, none of great notoriety.

I am going to this area next month and hope to stop in and greet. I have done this to other schools and you get a good idea what the students might be learning and I leave my card in case I need an apprentice level groomer, might consider a graduate with good attitude and showed promised.

Has anyone attended this school? I see it has not been around long, so I am curious about the training and if there are any graduates out there. Geographically, this school is the closest to me, so I am definitely curious and interested. Thanks!

Well, I guess I can answer my own question. I visited the school on 9/19 and was quite pleased with what I saw. The school is a very large facility grooming/boarding facility with a nice bathing area, grooming area and a separate classroom. They offer videos by Jodi Murphy among others and hands on training. The cost is about the same as a school I was looking at in Manhattan. However, the training is 420 hours versus just 150 from the Manhattan school. So a real value with plenty of time of opportunity to get your feet wet. I was very pleased and signed up. My first day was last Saturday and have already worked on a dog and was able to monitor the other groomers as they worked on dogs. Not to mention, I found the owners and staff very friendly and enthusiastic about their work. Due to my schedule, I can only train on Saturdays and any days I can take off. And they are willing to work with that. Which is great! I think this is going to work out very nicely and look forward to going through the training! I'll post more as I learn more.

I recommend this school based on a graduate. NYC just doesn't have good schools any more, you have to go NJ these days for closest. Nice to hear your comments. Let us know occasionally how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseNY View Post
    I think this is going to work out very nicely and look forward to going through the training! I'll post more as I learn more.
    I guess there are no updates? :/

LOL Pink

Well I guess I forgot to post my updates regarding Clip Shoppe. I am now a graduate of Clip Shoppe School and here is my quick summary of what I got from the course:

Clip Shoppe School of Dog Grooming is located on Route 23 in Newfoundland, NJ. They are in an old church that they converted into a grooming and boarding facility. The owner/main instructor, Sandy Fitzgerald, has been grooming for about 12 years. Sandy has 2 full-time groomer/instructors, Sam and Leslie and a part-time groomer/instructor, Katy. The course is made up of videos, including the Jodi Murphy series along with her mobile grooming/business videos, Olga Zebilinskaya styling videos, The Behavior of Dogs and a Pet CPR video. The rest of the training is almost entirely hands on. There is no structured classroom training which may be a little confusing for new students, but that turned out to be good for me as I was only able to attend mostly on Saturdays due to my full-time work schedule while squeezing in an occasional day off here and there to speed up completing the course. This means the training is very flexible, especially for the student that is looking for a career change but cannot leave their job to pursue their grooming studies on a full-time basis. So I was actually happy to go to school and work right on the dogs immediately as I needed and wanted that practice.

I think the flexibility factor is what wins here for Clip Shoppe. Sandy has many students that are attending on different schedules and are at different levels and yet everyone seems to be graduating with a comfortable feel for the industry and the ability to go out and find work in the field. I should also add that Sandy alerts her students of any grooming jobs in the area that she may hear about which is helpful.

I forgot to mention that students are provided with a grooming kit, for an added fee, which contains a clipper, blades, clipper combs, a set of 3 shears (straight, curves and thinners), slicker brushes, detangling combs, nail clippers, and more, along with a carrying case. There is enough gear to enable a new student to be able to fully groom a dog. So you can practice on your own dogs or your friends dogs when not in class.

All in all, I enjoyed my experience at Clip Shoppe and I am thankful for the training I received. I still seek out more information and new ways to style dogs, but you should always be doing that. The more you learn, the better you will get! I am now the proud owner of my own mobile grooming van and I am actively building a full-time clientele. I would not have been able to do that without Clip Shoppe's training! Thank you!

Hope this info helps and feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Thanks!

Sounds like a nice school. As far as I know there are no quality schools in NYC any more so good you have some schools in NJ.

I referred someone in NJ there and they really liked it.