Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dukesmom View Post
    I wish I had seen this post earlier or something. My veiw may be jaded, and I hope so for your case. It is my experience that in working for the owner, he just wants money and does not careabout anything else. As a trainer for his big box store, you were required to stalk obiedence students with no pay. Now my experience with abc was absoulutly jaw dropping. I got a call from them asking me if I would take on a student. As a new bussiness, I am very protective of my furry clients and my reputation, but I thought cant hurt to hear what they say, it may be a good fit. So I listened and asked questions. Yes the other poster is correct. You would work for the shop and it would be up to the shop owner to say when you are ready. I see a few problems with this, as the grooming cert is not coming from the shop its coming from abc. Are they going to come and see what you can do? What happpens if you think you are ready, but you are not, or if the shop owner just drags it out? I asked about isurance if a student hurt a dog, and was told they will cover if the student gets hurt, but will not cover any animals in my shop. So I replied, So if a studnt hurts a dog either by accedent such as nicking an ear or underarm, (very common even if your not a student) or on purpose, choking hitting ect. I was told that under no circumstances will abc cover any animals any time any way soooo sorry. I then said that I would not put my shop in that type of situaton, and told them I thougt that it was unfair to the shop owner. I think you should try to get a refund if possible.

I also was contacted by ABC, they wanted me to "mentor" a student. In my opinion, if I am taking time out of my day and appointments to help teach a student- that has NO hands on experience- then I feel the salon should be compensated for teaching. I would gladly take on a student and work with them, but as in any business, time is money.

I think it is way overpriced but some people take advantage of payments, and you do not really know if their mentor is that good, or bad, or ? At a real onsite situation you can check that out before you enroll. ABC you don't often know your mentor before you enroll.

I am glad to hear someone else thinks they are overprice.

Omg dont do ittttttt.....if you are in los angeles area go to wesf coast grooming academy in pasadena. 2 months hands on every day diff breed cuts even groomimg shelter dogs twice a week. Abc basicaly makes u study from a book then throwd you in a shitty salon to fend for urself .

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Oh and this school sets you up with a job at a petco or petsmart or even private salonn if tbats whst you want. Teacher had over 18 years experience and has won many many dog show awards. We even have one day where we learn from the book together so u can ask the teacjet amythinnggg and she knows all her stuff. Ul learn nutrition skin conditions coat types breed groups i get my certificate next week i already passed my written i still have my technical. And i worked on alot of show dogs these past 2 months and all my cuts were specific breed cuts. Iv done 2 dogs in matter of 4 hours by my second month. We are 5 people in class so are limited to how many dogs each gets but if you are in La check west coast grooming teachers name is CHRIS JACKSON

And seriously abc is like what 3 gz? For u to spend half your time reading out of a book and the rest just thrown at a salon for internship...whicj means the salom owner doesnt really wanna waste his time teaching you or training you cz to him you are supose to magicaly know from readjng s book and lookin at pictures of smthin. Honestly they are like those vocational schools and believe me ive gone to dental and pharmacy tech vocational schools. Dental was a waste of 12 gz i ddnt lesrn anythin n felt stupid during internshit. Pharmacy i enjoyed and even workd at a pharmacy for 2 years till i realized i ddmt want to do this for the rest of my life i always wanted to work with dogs and im glad i found west coast cz abc was my first choice and im glad i kept lookimg before settling

Default Just graduated with Honors

The program may not be ideal for most people, but for me it was perfect! My situation is a little unique though, I had 5+ years hands on working with dogs and basic grooming (Bath, Nails, external anals, carding ect) the boarding/daycare facility I work for chose me to expand the business to include full service grooming. The owner (we are a small local business) asked if I was interested in some sort of schooling to get a certification and I said yes. Because I work 40+ hours a week, online seemed the best and since ABC offered an online course plus an externship it seemed like the best option. My boss paid my tuition, and believe me I was sooooo grateful!! I completed the coursework and was placed in a shop near me that I ended up loving, my mentor was fun and taught me a lot to build my confidence and skills. If I didn't already work where I am currently working, I would have loved to stay there.

That's just my two cents

ABC calls at least twice a month to see if I will mentor one of their students. ....umm....I am in Tx, not California. ....so that tells me a lot of online training. No is always my answer to them, but they continue to call.............
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmonautRik View Post
    The program may not be ideal for most people, but for me it was perfect! My situation is a little unique though, I had 5+ years hands on working with dogs and basic grooming (Bath, Nails, external anals, carding ect) the boarding/daycare facility I work for chose me to expand the business to include full service grooming. The owner (we are a small local business) asked if I was interested in some sort of schooling to get a certification and I said yes. Because I work 40+ hours a week, online seemed the best and since ABC offered an online course plus an externship it seemed like the best option. My boss paid my tuition, and believe me I was sooooo grateful!! I completed the coursework and was placed in a shop near me that I ended up loving, my mentor was fun and taught me a lot to build my confidence and skills. If I didn't already work where I am currently working, I would have loved to stay there.

That's just my two cents
    So glad you had a positive experience. And congratulations. My caution though to others. Sad fact is, the student is not always so lucky. I know a local groomer in town who is at best a decent groomer, I have fixed a lot of her work and get some of her disgruntled customers and most stay. The kicker is she has taught for ABC.

Quote Originally Posted by Brit View Post
    So glad you had a positive experience. And congratulations. My caution though to others. Sad fact is, the student is not always so lucky. I know a local groomer in town who is at best a decent groomer, I have fixed a lot of her work and get some of her disgruntled customers and most stay. The kicker is she has taught for ABC.
    Thank you! The shop I interned in has literally zero bad reviews and my mentor really loves all dogs and always puts their needs and comfort first. I got to meet so many awesome clients of hers and had a blast working there. I always want and strive for making grooming as positive and stress-free as possible and that happens to be her outlook as well.
    However, I have heard some horror stories about ABC. It seems that to get the best experience, you need to already have the basics down or at least that's just what I've perceived.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2