Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Has anyone attended ABC for grooming school? (Animal behavior college)

Hey everyone! So I Just started grooming school a couple months ago. The first 9 stages is book work and DVD's and once I have passed all courses I am assigned to a grooming salon and will have to complete 100 HRS (or more depending on if I need more practice before I am able to groom on my own). I was curious if anyone else used this school for grooming and what their experience was like for the externship in the salon? I'm just a little nervous!

I don't know anyone who used it for grooming, sorry; though I do know someone who used it for dog training and while they were happy with what they learned (though they had also taken behavior classes and gotten their degree at a regular local college). But the trainer I worked with said all ABC did was teach you what you can read and learn on your own and charge you a lot of money for it, and she was right when it came to the training bit.

My only question is how they figure out how many hours one needs in an actual shop; we get much more hands-on time in an accredited grooming school than 100 hours. The accredited grooming school I went to required passing 450 hours – most of which was hands-on, along with book training, and also written and hands-on tests, before you could graduate and call yourself a Certified Professional Groomer. I'd also look at the price for the training vs a grooming school. ABC wants $3970 to $4725 for their course; I paid $6000, it included all my tools, and I was hands-on a dog on the 2nd day of class. Also, they're asking you to work 100 unpaid hours, when actually you're paying them to do this.

Frankly, most of what they've got in their curriculum is stuff you can read on your own about, and you can go to a local grooming salon and see if they'll take you on as an paid or unpaid apprentice - or a paid bather - and teach you the basics of hands-on…same as you’d do with ABC, only you’re not paying ABC to do it. What you learn in school, any grooming school in the USA at least, is not exactly what the real world of grooming is all about. You can learn techniques, safety, breeds and their patterns, etc., and that’s all good…but it’s not going to teach you what grooming is really like in the real world, where people don’t want a pattern or show cut, where the dogs all don’t stand nice and pretty like they do in school, where you have to deal with customers that make you think ‘What did she just ask me to do to her pet?!’, or those customers who don’t bring their dog in for months then show up with a poor matted mess and say they want the dog left ‘kind of long’.

When I started working in a shop right out of school, I was of course nervous; it was still a new experience and different than school. The main thing I kept hearing was ’I know they taught you to do it this way in school, but this is how you do it.’ Hearing that incessantly can make you think everything you learned in school was wrong, though it’s not true. Over the years I’ve learned that everyone has their tips and tricks that work for them, and some may work for others while some don’t. It’s always a learning process as there’s always something new being done or a better way to do something; listen and learn them all and then do what works for you, as long as it’s safe for the dog.

Once thing I learned is that the main thing some shops want vs a school is for one’s speed to pick up – fast. In school we have hours to do a dog; in a shop, once you’ve been grooming for a bit, you may have 2 hours to get a dog done. It was one of the more frustrating things for me when I started in a shop to be told ‘you need to move faster’ when I was more worried about accidentally cutting the squirming dog I was grooming…and usually it was because the owner wanted to leave early; and not because we had more dogs to groom as we didn’t.

I wouldn’t give up grooming for anything; I wish I had done it long before I did. Not only do you get to be with dogs while you work (and what’s better than that?!), but what you’re doing is helping to keep them healthy and happy, and in many cases you find issues that a vet needs to look into well before an owner would notice them, which can be beneficial to the dog’s health. And those puppy and doggy kisses sure make your day I wish you the best in your career!

Quote Originally Posted by pimarose View Post
    Hey everyone! So I Just started grooming school a couple months ago. The first 9 stages is book work and DVD's and once I have passed all courses I am assigned to a grooming salon and will have to complete 100 HRS (or more depending on if I need more practice before I am able to groom on my own). I was curious if anyone else used this school for grooming and what their experience was like for the externship in the salon? I'm just a little nervous!
    I wish I had seen this post earlier or something. My veiw may be jaded, and I hope so for your case. It is my experience that in working for the owner, he just wants money and does not careabout anything else. As a trainer for his big box store, you were required to stalk obiedence students with no pay. Now my experience with abc was absoulutly jaw dropping. I got a call from them asking me if I would take on a student. As a new bussiness, I am very protective of my furry clients and my reputation, but I thought cant hurt to hear what they say, it may be a good fit. So I listened and asked questions. Yes the other poster is correct. You would work for the shop and it would be up to the shop owner to say when you are ready. I see a few problems with this, as the grooming cert is not coming from the shop its coming from abc. Are they going to come and see what you can do? What happpens if you think you are ready, but you are not, or if the shop owner just drags it out? I asked about isurance if a student hurt a dog, and was told they will cover if the student gets hurt, but will not cover any animals in my shop. So I replied, So if a studnt hurts a dog either by accedent such as nicking an ear or underarm, (very common even if your not a student) or on purpose, choking hitting ect. I was told that under no circumstances will abc cover any animals any time any way soooo sorry. I then said that I would not put my shop in that type of situaton, and told them I thougt that it was unfair to the shop owner. I think you should try to get a refund if possible.

I went to this school. I did all 3 courses (grooming, dog training and vet assistance) and liked them for an (mostly) online school. The thing I found to have a good experience with the school is to find your own mentor and have them get approved through the school. Find someone with the kind of experience you want to groom for.(show, pet trims, breed standards or shave downs) Somewhere that you may be able to continue as an apprentice later that you would want to work at. I had already groomed prior to going through the program and knew what I wanted in a Mentor. I did the program because I wanted something to show for all my experience. Something to show people how serious I took my job and continuing my education.

RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN I have mentored two of them, the program is not ideal.

I agree you should be very concerned with any school of any type that offers internships. I am sure it could be great, but where is the guarantee it will. I find it hard to think that ABC can find ideal internships in any state or area.

Huh ABC School Question

Quote Originally Posted by pimarose View Post

I was just wondering if you continued with the school and if so how has it been? I was looking into doing this program as well. Please let me know.

I think it is a bit overpriced.

I completed my externship last month and have only my final left to complete. Read post title ABC grooming instruction.........Is it worth the effort. I share my experience of the school through each stage. if you have anymore questions feel free to message me.

I'm attending now. I'm in stage 7. I have learned a lot from the reading material and videos. I just had YouTube set up on my tv and have watched hundreds of videos from different groomers and learned so much !!!! A lot of them do things a little different in their own way so that helps also The only thing I'm not to happy about is that I didn't learn how to clip or scissor till this stage and I have to groom a dog for my homework and send pics to teacher. This stage is only 2 weeks long and I have to take the book test AND groom a dog with long hair before end of this stage. I don't have force dryer grooming table and all of the things I should have. I did just order a table though. Still I don't KNOW anybody with a long haired dog. I have 1 week !!! I'm so upset

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I should mention I don't plan to work for a groomer but to volunteer at the humane society.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JennR View Post
    I was just wondering if you continued with the school and if so how has it been? I was looking into doing this program as well. Please let me know.
    Did you finish yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast