Default Grooming a cockalier (cocker spaniel king Charles mix)

I groom my own cockalier. Use seven blade all over and ten on the head and ears. He has hair that seems to be getting longer under his eye. His hair is more on the course cocker side. He is very fidgety and uncomfortable when it comes to grooming near his eyes. He hates it. Any tips.He is a very patient dog during grooming just not under his eyes. He was cut as a puppy by a groomer, so i have learned how to groom him.which works out very well, but need advice for under the eyes.

Working around a dogs eyes is always a concern, especially when the animal is anxious and nervous. It's unfortunate he had a bad experience with his first groomer. I think if you are having problems with this area you might consider looking for a good groomer to help with this problem.

The best place to find a good,experienced and well-qualified groomer is by asking your friends. You can also check the web, read thru reviews and check any info they have listed. Visit the shop,watch the groomers. A mobile might be a good choice too. Keep in mind, dogs are just like chikdren, they often behave better for some else then their owner.

sittingpretty

Hi Hunter! We are familer with the designer name Cockalier. He must have cocker hair on his face if it is growing. You say he is good for everything but his face, correct? It could be his experence with the groomer who accidently cut him has him and YOU leary of this area.
    I agree with Sittingpretty.....you both need a good groomer to show both of you this area is not a "scary" to clip spot. If you dont want to go the groomer route, you need to be CALM and FIRM about clipping it......just do one side, wait a bit for him to see he is unharmed then do the other. Ya might just start by NOT turning on the clippers and just rubbing them on his face, do this till he is calmu, then turn them on but DONT try to clip....just rub them on his face, do this till he is calm.....soon you should be able to clip this area with no stress for you or your cockalier. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Cyn; 09-13-13 at 06:44 AM.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Cyn offers good advice. Run the clipper on and around his face turned on, but not actually clipping. When he has calmed from that take a quick swipe and see how that goes, if he doesn't react, try again, if he does react, go back to the running it without clipping routine. Eventually you'll get it done. I'm quite sure you are very capable of doing this yourself if you've been clipping him everywhere else. Check youtube for cocker grooming videos to see how cockers faces are clipped.

And DO NOT Use the 7F near his eyes. That is an accident waiting to happen. A quieter clipper might be the trick, or a pair of thinners to trim that hair with...
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

If you are having some concerns with him and if you are anywhere near one of the schools we talk about here why not try to get to one of them and let an instructor show you how to properly groom that area. Some might do it for free or a nominal fee, or they may ask if your pupm could be a demo dog for the class.

Thank you for all the advice. I did buy a small oyster face trimmer and so far i just put it on his face to let him adjust. Eventually maybe ill try it, but i think im also nervous about the eye area. Its just not worth it if he flinches from the vibration.his face is not very hairy its just ive noticed under his eye toward his muzzle is getting thicker. A groomer down the road did say she would do it for me for now. I give a lot of credit to people who can shave or trim by a dogs eyes. He used to flinch when i shaved by his inner ears, but surprisingly now he just quietly lays still and lets me trim away. Plus i give hime his favorites treats when we are done as a reward. Im sure eventually ill be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Thank you for all the advice. I did buy a small oyster face trimmer and so far i just put it on his face to let him adjust. Eventually maybe ill try it, but i think im also nervous about the eye area. Its just not worth it if he flinches from the vibration.his face is not very hairy its just ive noticed under his eye toward his muzzle is getting thicker. A groomer down the road did say she would do it for me for now. I give a lot of credit to people who can shave or trim by a dogs eyes. He used to flinch when i shaved by his inner ears, but surprisingly now he just quietly lays still and lets me trim away. Plus i give hime his favorites treats when we are done as a reward. Im sure eventually ill be able to do it.
    Glad you found a groomer willing to help you out. Be sure to tip her for her efforts, 5 bucks or so. Shes taking time out of her busy day to help you after all.