Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hissy Fit Help! My itchy dogs....what can I do to ease the itchiness?

My chi mix "Vienna" (the one on my avatar) has an atopic dermatitis.
    I had her tested and she's allergic to many things in the air such as, Eucalyptus, Cedarwood, some palm trees, some grasses, weeds, feather, cotton, dust, mold, etc and because we live here in Hawaii we have these all year around. However, the spring and the summer are the worst seasons of course.

My holistic vet put her on some chinese herb medicines but they didn't work. So I finally put her on Immunotherapy which is also called "desensitize therapy".
    What it is is to inject allergen little by little so the body gets used to it and get desensitized so when the allergy season comes the reaction should be minimized.
    But after about 8 months of this therapy she got worse to the point where she started having incontinent and itchy, infected paws, etc. So I decided to stop it.
    I took her to a different vet (not holistic) he put her on antibiotic and steroids. I'm weaning her on steroids now so she is terribly itchy and miserable again.

I feed my dogs raw food and I shampoo them very often and wash their feet after going outside.
    This is what I feed my dogs. Everything is raw and for the veggie and fruits, I puree with magic bullets.

mainly turkey but sometimes lamb (we have our own lamb), lamb guts and green tripe (when we have)
    vegetables (celery, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, beets, ripen tomatoes, etc)
    fruits (apples, bananas, papayas, etc)
    sometimes eggs
    supplement (organic coconut oil, liver and kidney support supplement, omega astin (strong antioxidant with omega 3,6,9))

They get dried sardines for their treats.

She has been wearing an elizabeth collar for over a year now but even with that on she somehow manages to lick her back paws.
    She also tries to lick her front paws but she can't reach them so she licks her collar thinking that she is licking her paws. Thing with this is her front paws get rubbed by each other and get pretty raw, sometimes bloody raw.
    I don't want to keep giving her steroids. Doctor says very low dose will be ok but I don't believe it.
    So what can I do to help her?
    I have ordered some "calendula tincture" to mix with cold water and spray where itchy. (still waiting for a delivery)

Also, I have a toy poodle puppy "Azuki" 11 months old. She has recently developed some itchy allergic symptoms too.
    I haven't had her checked for what she's allergic to yet because the test is like $350.
    So we have two "cone dogs" in the house.
    We also have a 14 yrs old Lab mix which is an outside dog but she has no allergy.

I feel so bad for them. Please help!!

Is your house carpeted? In the past I have seen that being the culprit in allergies in some dogs.

This sounds like mange to me.....has she been tested for that????
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Mange and yeast....esp since you are in Hawaii. Those things come to mind.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

No, we don't have any carpet. It's all wood flooring.
    I also have air purifiers however it's impossible to keep them from allergens, they are in the air.
    They are inside dogs but they have to go outside you know.

Seriously try Quadruped all in one conditioner. Many people I've recommended this to with dogs with atopic dermatitis swear by it. As an aside, although I do think raw is best, it is entirely possible your dogs are still allergic to something you're feeding them. Do you have access to a novel protein like buffalo or rabbit there?

You didnt say what you were bathing them in shampoonwise so I thought I would just throw this out there. Natural Chemeristry Triple Treatment Shampoo. Google it and read on it......call them they are super nice.
    I have a demadex aussie that has a reaction to dang near everything......I started using this shampoo on him about 3 yrs ago and after about 1 month of weekly baths he can now go 2 weeks with out excessive scratching and licking his damn feet, lol.
    IDK, might not help but at least check it out.

I'm sure you also checked into what household cleaners you may be using. You might try a baking soda rinse on those poor dogs.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    You didnt say what you were bathing them in shampoonwise so I thought I would just throw this out there. Natural Chemeristry Triple Treatment Shampoo. Google it and read on it......call them they are super nice.
    I have a demadex aussie that has a reaction to dang near everything......I started using this shampoo on him about 3 yrs ago and after about 1 month of weekly baths he can now go 2 weeks with out excessive scratching and licking his damn feet, lol.
    IDK, might not help but at least check it out.
    @Cyn - Wow that sounds like a really good product.
    @Cockr- I have to second the Quadruped all in one too- I lived in another city while I was in grooming school and we lived in a hotel and something maybe pollen or maybe the grasses behind the hotel made them both really itchy and I used the Quadruped on them (straight) and it worked - they stopped all the itching. But this was mild itching - intermittent kicking of the stomach and a little biting the legs - but it didnt seem anywhere like what you are describing, Vienna, which sounds awful! So sorry for you. I truly hope you find something that works. Hugs Jolie

You might try an elimination diet. You would really simplify things down and then slowly add things back in until you find the triggers. This will be so easy for you since you are already doing raw. Just go down to one meat source, maybe do that for a few weeks, see if that makes a difference, then every week add back in something, but only one new thing a week so you can see what triggers the issue. For my allergy dog (environmental allegens) I give benedryl during the bad months.
    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
    -Michelangelo

Wow, you wrote the same post as I was going to post.. only mine is about my son's dog, Dexter. He's a yellow lab and he's a mess. I'm going to order some Angel Eyes to try on him.. Parti suggested it somewhere else. And I'm going to try the Natural Chemistry that Cyn suggested. Poor dog.. he's miserable, my son is distressed.. this is his boy lol. He's the one with the tail all messed up from wagging it and smacking it on something.. opening the end.

I'm really sorry about your itchy dogs... it is soo distressing. We had one for several years. He was a mess.
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by daesue View Post
    Wow, you wrote the same post as I was going to post.. only mine is about my son's dog, Dexter. He's a yellow lab and he's a mess. I'm going to order some Angel Eyes to try on him.. Parti suggested it somewhere else. And I'm going to try the Natural Chemistry that Cyn suggested. Poor dog.. he's miserable, my son is distressed.. this is his boy lol. He's the one with the tail all messed up from wagging it and smacking it on something.. opening the end.

I'm really sorry about your itchy dogs... it is soo distressing. We had one for several years. He was a mess.
    Debbie
    Is this the one with the bumpy nose too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast