Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Doggie Odor that just wont go away

I had a weimaraner and a great dane in for boarding for 10 days. They both got baths. I have smelled dogs that have that dog odor before but these dogs smelled so bad that it made my stomach turn. I used skunk shampoo and let it sit for awhile. Then I used Green Groom odor eliminator. I thought that I had gotten the stink under control. But then day 3 I could smell the dogs the moment I came in the door at the shop. So, I went back to the bath and tried again. This time I used a vinegar rinse as well and neither got it to go away. In the time the dogs were here, they got 3 baths.

I have had to wash the blankets repeatedly that they used and then finally just threw them away because I couldn't get the smell out of them.

What am I missing?? Does this go away or do some dogs just stink?? I have never had this experience with this odor like this.

Did it smell like poop? Poop mixed with skunk? Are they males, are they neutered? Yeasty? I had a dog that smelled so bad.. we got him from a rescue knowing he had problems..but he liked to sleep with us.. poor buddy.. so I put a fan on my nightstand to blow his smell away. He was yeasty, bacterial, mange-y.. a mess. I bathed him a lot. Chlorhexidine.. you name it. He still stunk . Good food, too.

Nothing worked... sorry. Anyway.. do they smell poopy, yeasty, bacterial-y??

Debbie

We had a large Rott brought in for a de-stink bath. The new owners had just gotten the dog from a rescue and the dog had spent months being kenneled while awaiting adoption. He stunk to high heaven as a result. His skin was clear and he had no obvious health issues that would cause bad smells.

I bathed him to get him clean, then bathed him with a solution (3 tablespoons to a gallon of warm water) of 4Pines Deodorant Cleaner, a pine oil based household cleaner I bought at Farm & Fleet. Let it sit a few minutes, rinsed, the stench was gone.

The label specifically stated it could be used in this manner as a "deodorizing bath for dogs". So what I was doing was consistent with what the product was approved and used for.

That said, don't wash a dog with Pine-Sol or anything else of that nature. I only used 4Pines because I was aware of the labeling allowing it to safely be used on animals.

Did you check the ears? Mites and infections can stink to high heaven, and the odor definitely seeps out onto their skin and any bedding they frequently lie on. Currently treating our new dog for mites (he's a rescue that had been chained up outside for the first year of life), and at first I could barely stand to share a room with him he stunk so bad. Bathed him in Dawn three times before we got the mites diagnosed, couldn't figure out why it wasn't making a difference.

could be just simply because of their diet. if the smell is coming from their pores then no amount of bathing is going to make a difference because the smell is internal. for humans it usually takes three months for the effects of diet to remove from their system. its like how some people smell strong of garlic.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledogdare View Post
    We had a large Rott brought in for a de-stink bath. The new owners had just gotten the dog from a rescue and the dog had spent months being kenneled while awaiting adoption. He stunk to high heaven as a result. His skin was clear and he had no obvious health issues that would cause bad smells.

I bathed him to get him clean, then bathed him with a solution (3 tablespoons to a gallon of warm water) of 4Pines Deodorant Cleaner, a pine oil based household cleaner I bought at Farm & Fleet. Let it sit a few minutes, rinsed, the stench was gone.

The label specifically stated it could be used in this manner as a "deodorizing bath for dogs". So what I was doing was consistent with what the product was approved and used for.

That said, don't wash a dog with Pine-Sol or anything else of that nature. I only used 4Pines because I was aware of the labeling allowing it to safely be used on animals.
    Interesting.. have you tried it on a skunk'd dog??

Debbie

This was just a stink. It was like an oily dog that has never been bathed. That doggie oily stink that they get. The dogs were in good health. Clean ears, no skin issues. They were on Nutro Large breed dog food and strict instructions that they get nothing else besides dog food.

Thanks for the info on the 4pines. I have to go to the farm store this weekend so I will look and see if they carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizsla View Post
    could be just simply because of their diet. if the smell is coming from their pores then no amount of bathing is going to make a difference because the smell is internal. for humans it usually takes three months for the effects of diet to remove from their system. its like how some people smell strong of garlic.
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaLadybug View Post
    This was just a stink. It was like an oily dog that has never been bathed. That doggie oily stink that they get. The dogs were in good health. Clean ears, no skin issues. They were on Nutro Large breed dog food and strict instructions that they get nothing else besides dog food.

Thanks for the info on the 4pines. I have to go to the farm store this weekend so I will look and see if they carry it.
    Nutro has a TON of wheat and rice, and their natural choice line does have brewer's rice in it, so it could possibly be an excess of grain leading to a yeasty smell emanating from the pores? Maybe suggest a food with a higher protein content and lower grains?

Bassett hounds are famous for having that smell. My aunt used skunk shampoo as a means for controlling it. Worked

My boxer's feet stink like rancid oily dog when she is nervous. At first I could not get where the smell was coming from but than I had her on my lap inspecting her for yeasty sores and she stuck her paw in my face, yewwww.

It is recommended on here frequently for skin conditions, but it is a deodorizer as well. A good bath followed by a vinegar rinse will take that sort of smell away. 1 cup vinegar to 1 gallon water. You could rinse the vinegar rinse off, but it is better to leave it on.
    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
    -Michelangelo

I was on Stearns Pkg website for product info on 4pines. On the website, it says to use for pet bedding, not a deodorizing bath. I am not familiar with the product, but there is no regulatory agency that oversees pet safe labeling. It is up to the manufacturer to make that determination. I've included a link to their MSDS. I would not use this on pets regardless of what is on the label. Is there a different product that I am not seeing on the website, if so, please direct me to it. http://www.stearnspkg.com/msds/bulk/...NE_CLEANER.pdf
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast