Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Same Day Appointments

I have done 2 same day appointments in the last week or so....one was a first time puppy groom, (the owners tried to cut it themselves) And It was my day off, but I couldn't get to her dog for a few days, so I decided since it was only a mile or two from my house, what could it hurt? The dog was an angel, perfectly combed out and I got a big tip! Then yesterday I got a call while I was out grooming and the new client was 5 minutes down the street....just got a great Pyrn. Mix from the shelter, could I come give it a bath? Well I only had 2 dogs yesterday and was on my last one about 1:00 so I ended up saying yes. Beautiful dog, only about the size of a golden and amazingly well behaved. The owner was really happy and wants me to make appointments for her other dogs! Just two instances where doing a same day groom can work out in your favor....What are your feelings on same day appointments?

Quote Originally Posted by Petlover999193 View Post
    I have done 2 same day appointments in the last week or so....one was a first time puppy groom, (the owners tried to cut it themselves) And It was my day off, but I couldn't get to her dog for a few days, so I decided since it was only a mile or two from my house, what could it hurt? The dog was an angel, perfectly combed out and I got a big tip! Then yesterday I got a call while I was out grooming and the new client was 5 minutes down the street....just got a great Pyrn. Mix from the shelter, could I come give it a bath? Well I only had 2 dogs yesterday and was on my last one about 1:00 so I ended up saying yes. Beautiful dog, only about the size of a golden and amazingly well behaved. The owner was really happy and wants me to make appointments for her other dogs! Just two instances where doing a same day groom can work out in your favor....What are your feelings on same day appointments?
    I'm in a shop and I've only done two in the past few months and just tacked them on at the end. Depends how I feel about the workload that day. Happy to got to groom some awesome dogs!

It's fine if you have a slow day but you have to make sure that the clients you do this for, know why you were able to fit their dogs in. Otherwise they may feel like you can do this every time they phone. Tends to make some customers feel slighted if you took them one day and couldn't just do that again.

I do it on a case by case basis depending on my gut feelings when talking to the owner if they're new. I rarely have same day openings but I may stay late if I get a good vibe ill always take them if its a true emergency though (had one get stuck to a sticky rat trap and another walk through fresh poured cement and get it all over her paws)

Yep I have had a few lately, and Hucksmom is right I have had to train one customer who wanted to come in within an hour of calling. During christmas I prebooked and re itereated to every customer to call a couple days in advance. Its nice tho that petlover now has 2 probably very loyal customers.

I have been able to get the dogs in next day or within the week. All of a sudden this yr I am booked out quite a ways. Quite a shock to some, a couple have been turned off by this. I have always told clients that I am starting to book out so plan on a week out but now I'm 3wks out unless they can take any day of the week, some clients are picky on their days or times. When I started out I did do same day but they never really turned into good clients, they were just hunting around for who could get me in soonest. I always try to let them know I had someone reschedule so I have an opening at this day & time even if its not quite the truth, it gives them an idea that they were squeezed in.

Shannon
    The Soapy Puppy mobile

I don't do same day appts. I've been burned a few times, sometimes it turns out to be a real nutter of an owner, and other times it trains the client so that they expect same day appointments every time they call. I built up a groomer business at a vet from scratch and tried to get the receptionists to book a couple days out even if I was slow because I knew that if they got used to getting in right away, they would be unhappy when I got busier. They didn't listen, so when I was booking 2 (then 3, then 4) weeks out, THEY got to deal with angry clients, so they changed their tune real quick. I hope these clients work out well for you, but there is a very small number of instances where I would take an appointment last minute, and almost none where it would be with a new client.

Just depends on too many different things so.......sometimes.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

I can count on one hand the number of times we've accepted a new client at the last minute and they have returned for repeat business. What I find, at least in this area, that they either missed their appt. somewhere else or are completely unorganized and they can't remember to make appts. ahead of time. All of a sudden they have a pet that's a mess and need it cleaned up NOW! We normally don't accept same day appts. unless it is a regular customer.

I wont do it for new clients, If they are good repeat clients I will take them same day. Every time I have accepted a same day new client I have regretted it. Either the dog was a nasty filthy matted mess or terrible for the groom or just couldnt get in to any shops closer to their home and needed a last minute grooming that day (then 50% of the time they go back to their regular groomer, usually cheaper, groomer again) I absolutely will not take anyone same day during busy season. My regular customers know better and they schedule in advance. I think if you are in a slower shop it might be worth it to bring in new clients but it makes them think you always have last minute appointments and makes you look like you are not busy.

We do it if we have the time but it often comes back to bite you. Do it once and they want to call and come in twenty minutes later every time.

Some just don't understand we aren't like Jiffy Lube or walk-in hair salons. They want it, they want it now and they get all sorts of cranky if we tell them this time they need and appointment for Buffy, we are booked out into next week.

I work in a shop with several groomers and we are always taking same day appointments. In fact 75% of what we groom are appointments made that day... I wouldn't make any money if we didn't take same day right now. Never know what the day is going to be like. We can walk in with 10 appointments down, but by the end of the day we groomed 45+ dogs. I think it's because our shop doesn't seem to really emphasize making regular appointments, and we sell by taking in walk-ins........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast