Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default "Don't shave my dog, I don't care what you charge me."

I have a goldendoodle in this week who is a new client. I didn't speak to the individual directly, but my bather who booked it says the dog has a "specific goldendoodle haircut", said the last place shaved the dog because it was matted; says its matted again and he will pay whatever I want him to, to not shave the dog.

I am just TICKLED by this and I can't wait to see the dog and see the haircut he wants. I believe I will use this line borrowed from the forum "I can demat the dog for $250 an hour with a minimum of 4 hours, or you can let me shave her for 1/10th that price and we can start fresh."

I love goldendoodles, but their owners can be really nutty!!!!

Haha! I had a lady call me a few weeks back with a Bouv that was matted and that she had been working out at home. LOL. I guess she had been gone a few months with Fema stuff for NY and her family didnt brush the dog. Well of course the last person had shaved it, guess her family didnt brush her then either, and she didnt want her shaved again. She wanted to come to me because I have a calm environment and do one dog at a time. Well I told her to come in and I will give her a quote. And quote I did! If you want me to book your dog as the only one, to dematt your bouv what do you expect to pay. LOL...I told her 250 to start, I think...she had this look of shock on her face. Well, she made an app and called back and canceled. LOL...saw that coming. Why do people think we should work for free? If you expect me to not work on anything else while doing your nasty matted dog for 4 hours or more I dont come cheap. Do people really think it is that easy? And if it was why dont they do it at home, better yet why cant they manage to brush their dogs that they want in haircuts they obviously cant manage?

People simply do not understand exactly what we do, whether it is bathing or de-matting, they just don't understand.

You can try to explain the damage we'd be doing to our own bodies (arms, shoulders, elbows, wrists), but they won't care about that. You can try to expalin about the damage to the coat, they won't understand about that. You can even explain about the torture to their dog for the multiple hours of standing, pulling, brushing....they won't understand about that, well. maybe they'd understand that a little bit. The only thing they really understand is how the dog looks. They still envision their dog looking like the show dog picture they once saw that gave them them desire to own that special breed of dog.

Shells, you can always just quote the price as what you make per/ day; if the bouv lady wanted you to do a dematt and it took all day, she'd have to pay what you normaly made in one day, since you'd have NO time for any other clients. They MIGHT understand that. another thought on that Bouv: if this was the second time she came home to find the dog matted because her family dind't brush the dog, why not simply leave instructions that they take the to a groomer while she was gone?

If they actually bring the dog to you I have found that putting it up on your table and showing them the mess helps to impress them with the sererity of the matts.

sittingpretty

Three is no need to go right for $250 an hour... there is of course the lovely option of going $60 an hour & making it abundantly clear the owner has to stay and watch for the entire time.

this is a lovely way of working with clients who claim to love their pets. Ive been there with conformation show SCWT's and it a truly awesome thing to do... I can & have done it a few times to be exact. With a doodle however you may be looking at a bit more time and it must be booked on a day when you have nothing else booked. IF you do not know how to do this... there are some really awesome groomers on this board who have done show dogs and can also explain how to. OF course it is included that the dog needs breaks because this kind of work can be very stressful to the dog... and the loveliest part? the owner (having to stay) see's all the dog has to go through.

Ive done a few like this and the end result was $240-$300 for one dog. IT also helps you as you have now shown the owner that you know what you are doing and believe me... talk is better than anything else when it comes to people asking about you... "she does know what she is doing, it can cost you if you want it done right though"

Default Re: "Don't shave my dog, I don't care what you charge me."

I charged $400 to demat two small dogs. They now come in every two weeks.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

I can only add 10 hours over 3 days the guy paid 750 dollars for me to demat and groom his Old English Sheepdog. The shop I was working at didnt believe in shavedowns and it was torture for me and the dog.

Cornstarch is your friend, so is regular breaks and off the table time for the dog too. It can be done. I fully agree with RPS have the owner stay and watch if the dog will behave, if not have them put the dog on the before they leave and take the force dryer to the dog and show them the matting and explain how uncomfortable this will be for the dog.

"The shop I was working at didnt believe in shavedowns and it was torture for me and the dog. "......

I appreciate the position you where in foxfey, but how can we as an industry call ourselves pet "care" professionals and yet knowingly "torture" or cause on going discomfort/pain in the name of vanity? I will bend over backward to please a client. But I will not even contemplate doing a complete demat on any dog....for any price. I don't care what product or methods used....it hurts. And as sittingpretty mentioned.... I'm not putting that kind of strain on my body. I have made it all these years without ANY serious physical damage or major aches and pains....why? Because I would tell these people "no way am I brushing out your neglect...sorry"

*sigh* golden doodle owners.....

I havent had a matted one recently but the next one I get I'm going to tell them it'll be the regular groom price X's how many hours it takes me to groom the dog + a couple dematting fees. I would never dematt a dog that would take a long amount of time. I am not sending a dog home brush burned and hurting b/c the owner wants a "fluffy coat"
    Every customer who has said they wanted their dog dematted and they would pay "whatever it takes" has always said "ok shave the dog" after I explain what it will cost and what pain it will cause. If anyone ever did say I'll pay what it takes and meant it I think I'd probably turn them away unless the dog could safely be dematted without brush burn or injury.

Surprise Cat

Quote Originally Posted by foxfey View Post
    I can only add 10 hours over 3 days the guy paid 750 dollars for me to demat and groom his Old English Sheepdog. The shop I was working at didnt believe in shavedowns and it was torture for me and the dog.

Cornstarch is your friend, so is regular breaks and off the table time for the dog too. It can be done. I fully agree with RPS have the owner stay and watch if the dog will behave, if not have them put the dog on the before they leave and take the force dryer to the dog and show them the matting and explain how uncomfortable this will be for the dog.
    I CAN'T believe someone paid that!! Or even the 100 price on a small dog...No one in my area would do that...And if a dog was that matted I wouldn't even know where to start at dematting it....I just don't feel I or a dog should have to suffer for an owners neglect...I'd shave them or they can leave...

So are you telling me any dog can be dematted if you spent long enough on it?? Like turtles that you have to shave with a 10 or higher to get underneath? AND then without leaving uneven hair or balled spots??

I've done one dog in housecall that was matted in the pattern of his harness. If enough time is spent on the dog with the right tools (and paid for accordingly), dematting shouldn't hurt. Of course I don't mean pelted messes, or anything to the skin, but minor dematting, even all over pin mats, can come out with conditioner, dematting spray, les pooch brushes, and other tools for the tough stuff worked slowly with lots of breaks. Never once did the dog show any discomfort and I got a few hundred, with a $20 tip, and a rebook in 4 weeks.

My (now retired) English Setters also hunted and competed in field trials and got into messes, so taking time to demat carefully is a skill I've learned over time.

The problem is in most salon environments, the time required for the dog wouldn't be allowed. Owners don't want to leave their dogs that long, and managers and salon owners don't want to book one dog for the entire day in case it cancels or refuses to pay at the end. There also isn't the relationship that housecall has. I know there are certain people that will take their dog to one salon to get it dematted for a regular groom price and then go back to their regular groomer that doesn't demat.

I let the dogs decide how they feel about the process. Being housecall has a major advantage too because the owners are there and I can constantly talk to them about our next step or getting creative with something like a lion trim.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    People simply do not understand exactly what we do, whether it is bathing or de-matting, they just don't understand.

You can try to explain the damage we'd be doing to our own bodies (arms, shoulders, elbows, wrists), but they won't care about that. You can try to expalin about the damage to the coat, they won't understand about that. You can even explain about the torture to their dog for the multiple hours of standing, pulling, brushing....they won't understand about that, well. maybe they'd understand that a little bit. The only thing they really understand is how the dog looks. They still envision their dog looking like the show dog picture they once saw that gave them them desire to own that special breed of dog.

Shells, you can always just quote the price as what you make per/ day; if the bouv lady wanted you to do a dematt and it took all day, she'd have to pay what you normaly made in one day, since you'd have NO time for any other clients. They MIGHT understand that. another thought on that Bouv: if this was the second time she came home to find the dog matted because her family dind't brush the dog, why not simply leave instructions that they take the to a groomer while she was gone?

If they actually bring the dog to you I have found that putting it up on your table and showing them the mess helps to impress them with the sererity of the matts.

sittingpretty
    When she came in initially it was just for a quote. She had called a few days before and I told her I had to see in order to give her a correct quote. When she came in I did do a small section just to sort of test the dogs temperament and show the owner what all was involved and how to properly dematt. I did tell her that the hair would be extremely damaged, it would not be pleasant experience for the dog and it would be best to start fresh especially since she had made the dog so patchy from her taking scissors to the dog, but she didnt want that. I mentioned to her that next time she goes out of town to set up grooming appointments for her family to bring the doggie in so I could maintain her while she was away. She did like that idea. She just didnt seem to care about what it would put the dog through or the coat condition. It seemed like the dog gets matted alot and didnt seem to understand that her doggie wont look how she wants her to look without ALOT of commitment at home, and regular grooming, not once or twice a year. I dont think people understand the amount of work that goes into a show dog....but et they want their doggies to look like one? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    Three is no need to go right for $250 an hour... there is of course the lovely option of going $60 an hour & making it abundantly clear the owner has to stay and watch for the entire time.

this is a lovely way of working with clients who claim to love their pets. Ive been there with conformation show SCWT's and it a truly awesome thing to do... I can & have done it a few times to be exact. With a doodle however you may be looking at a bit more time and it must be booked on a day when you have nothing else
    booked. IF you do not know how to do this... there are some really awesome groomers on this board who have done show dogs and can also explain how to. OF course it is included that the dog needs breaks because this kind of work can be very stressful to the dog... and the loveliest part? the owner (having to stay) see's all the dog has to go through.

Ive done a few like this and the end result was $240-$300 for one dog. IT also helps you as you have now shown the owner that you know what you are doing and believe me... talk is better than anything else when it comes to people asking about you... "she does know what she is doing, it can cost you if you want it done right though"
    Haha...no not 250 an hour...250 for the 6 hours. She would have been able to be dematted, and I wish I could have helped the dog. But I cant do unresonable request of my dog is the only one you are working on the entire day for $80. I really like the option of $60 an hour. Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast