Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "teddy bear" pomeranian cut? Help

Can anybody give me some pointers on how to cut a pomeranian where the body is shaved and the head is round puff ball like a teddy bear? Is it just a lot of scissoring? How far up to you use the clippers? I don't know why I have such issues with this, I just can't seem to make it look right. Maybe I'm relying too much on my clippers? Any advice, comb sizes, or tips you can share would be greatly appreciated.

look up pictures of boo the pomeranian on google, that should give you some inspiration. I like to use a #2 on the body, I start my line around the head from under the chin where the whiskers are, and from the base of the scull on top, and follow the line around, not going too short behind the ears, you want it to look round from all directions. Scissor the ears so they are round shaped on top. Sometimes I'll take an A comb or something and go in reverse to help knock some length off, then use my curves to set the line, and go back over with thinners so it looks more natural

Brownlikewoah is correct. Look at Boo. That is probably what you are wanting to do.

I'm just guessing but I'd say Boo is a #2 sc on the body, #1 sc on the legs and scissor, scissor in the head.

Keep in mind that Boo looks showbred and appears to have a very thick, full coat like the modern show dogs do. Many/most petbred Poms aren't going to pack that sort of coat around, especially on the legs. At least the ones around here don't.

So wanting to do that cut and being able to copy that cut may be two different things depending on the dog you are grooming...

Here are some photos of Poms done in a variation of "teddy" style. Did #2 stainless steel comb over the body, blended into tight scissored head for the two shown together. The black-n-tan Pom gets a 2 comb body, 1 comb legs & blended head (using thinners) with ears less pronounced. Hope this helps?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by preciousfurs View Post
    Here are some photos of Poms done in a variation of "teddy" style. Did #2 stainless steel comb over the body, blended into tight scissored head for the two shown together. The black-n-tan Pom gets a 2 comb body, 1 comb legs & blended head (using thinners) with ears less pronounced. Hope this helps?
    That blk/tan pom looks sharp!!!!!! Great job!
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Default Teddy Bear Pom

daq2smaller.jpgsmallerdaq.jpg
    Just FYI you can not make a good teddy bear cut on just any pom, they have to have the correct conformation for it, not the typical pom. They have to be more cheeky and very round high domed head type, very square and cobby, thick on leg. They just don't look right if the are tall, long legged, or snipey.

Here is a picture of Daq my old pom who I always did in a teddy Bear, she had the type. The ones in the dresses are Daq. The other pictures are of my pom Nina who looks horrible in a teddy bear cut. I do her in a lion in the summer and just bath blow dry and neaten up in the winter.(the collage, 1st Daq, then Nina, middle bath blow dry etc, then Nina again in lion.)
    on my dog I never went shorter than a 4f blade.on the body and just scissor the legs and head. Leave the coat behind the ears, almost as if you were doing a cairn or westie head but shape it round. Ears have to be short. Hust picture a stuffed teddy bear head when you are scissoring.poms.jpg

Susan, your pom cuts are adorable!! I would love to get my heads that perfectly round! Awesome job

thanks so much, guys, great pointers. does anybody have a BACK view of the head/dog?

Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Quote Originally Posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
    Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Oh my, the last one looks like a stylized Disney character! LOL!

Jiggy

Windy, tell us the lengths and process you did on that gorgeous dog. I'm putting you on the spot cause I wanna know.
    Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast