Brows Up Cat Home remedies (cornstarch) and home shampoos for cats?

I'm curious about home-made recipes for liquids/powders used for cat bathing, dematting, dry skin... I know about cornstarch. Any other home made recipes -- for shampoo, rinses, etc.? Stories about using them?
    I'd like to offer my house call grooming clients more options for natural grooming. I respect the formulated, professional products, but some clients are more comfortable with things that are not factory-produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    I respect the formulated, professional products, but some clients are more comfortable with things that are not factory-produced.
    If the owners are that put off by the idea of commercial shampoo products, ask them what home brew they use on their own hair and use that on their pussy cats when you scrub the little critters.

If it is pure, gentle and natural enough for Mummsy's hair, it should win their approval and be safe for Kitty.

Dawn. If they can use it safely on animals affected by an oil spill, it will be safe for their little kitty. And IMO, nothing cleans greasy kitties better. As someone who is concerned about what products contain, I use only Aveda on my own head, use 7th generation cleaning products, clean mostly with vinegar...and I find Dawn to be the best option for even my own cats.

I agree with Dawn for scrubbing cats but if the owner is a nature freak who won't even approve of using a commerically produced hypo shampoo for their cat, I can imagine the reaction to pouring dishwashing liquid on their little precious to clean it.

I have to agree with DDD. Why would someone want to use a formula that is not tested, not proved and has unknown results on their animal? I'll stick with products that have been designed and developed for animals. I do use cornstarch for dematting though, with great results. Hardly ever use Dawn now that I found Deep Clean by Envirogroom. This is the best degreasing shampoo ever.

If you use a commercial all natural product, one that is labeled that on the packaging, you would have consumer protection should anything happen. I would rather have liability safety with commercial all natural products and one that is labeled for pets then to take a chance on one one that is not. Just because something is all natural doesn't mean it is safe. All people and pets react differently.
    Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by stacie-gotg View Post
    Just because something is all natural doesn't mean it is safe.
    As someone once told me when the discussion of the inherent goodness of "all natural" came up, syphillis is natural, but that doesn't mean you want anything to do with it.

Hmmnn, I seem to have given the impression that I am trying to cater to wacky clients with silly ideas. I like to use simple products and home-based remedies. I make use of baking soda and vinegar to clean, for example. This is not just for them. It's for me too. So I'm a "nature freak," thank you very much. I will take that as a compliment. (Picture me with a lavender garland and shoes made of ferns. Such a nature nymph.)
    If corn starch is a good dematter, then I'd like to try it. If there are other home-remedies people have successfully used, then I'm curious about those. I'm not going to whip up a batch of lye and chamomile tea in my kitchen, have no fear.

I am curious how the corn starch is used to dematt? Applied dry? Before bath, after bath, etc? Sorry to pop into the thread!

I don't have any suggestions for making homemade shampoo. But my mom and I breed cats. We usually use a white vinegar/water mix as a rinse at the end of the bath. Just helps ensure it's all rinses off and then we go back over with water of course.

If you look on etsy there are some cat shampoos that are naturally made. Might give you some ideas of things to try/ingredients.

I've often heard of a diluted vinegar rinse. Definitely will try that next time. Thank you. Corn starch is put on the matted area to make it easier to untangle it.

Default corn starch

I was told a LONG time ago by a groomer to use cornstarch on my matted dog to make matt brush out easier. Do it BEFORE the bath, otherwise the cat is going to be icky and covered in corn starch and when they lick it the cornstarch will get goopy.

I think it did help get the matts out, but it's very messy and not as good as dematting sprays made nowadays. I'd wear a dust mask too. But I just worked it into the matts with my fingers then brushed and combed the matts out.

If it safe enough for enangered species dogs and cats should be fine.