Default Starting new grooming business and dog sitting shop

I have worked at a large pet store for 5 years and I truly love dogs. Hate the place where I work bc the owner doesn't really care about the dogs or the people, just wants to sell the puppies even if they're sick. I decided I can't go along with this because it's progressively getting worse so I have decided to go out on my own and start a grooming/petsitting business. Need some ideas if amyone can help. I am putting things together, on paper so I can get a better idea. I have no idea how much money I will need to get started. I found a great location but I have no equipment or anything. Please help if you can. I need to get figures to see if I can or can not get my own business and I'm not getting any younger but I am excited. PLEASE HELP!!!

You may want to contact SCORE (Service Corp of Retired Executives) to get free advice. Can even get a mentor through SCORE. SBA (Small Business Administration) website also great for aspiring biz owners.

Buy the "Grooming Bussiness in a Box" cd. It will take you through the steps of making a business plan and you will learn a lot! it is advertised on this board somewhere...admin can tell you where.

www.groomingbusinessinabox.com

Equipment cost for me was about 6K. 2 banks of kennels, a dryer, a Grizzly Air Dryer, Shampoos, tub, 2 tables, Register(these things can get expensive!!), Pet123 software, Filing Cabinet, and any other misc think i needed.

So your initial startup was 6K and then of course your overhead like insurance, rent, utilities...etc? Just checking to be sure I can really do this.

Quote Originally Posted by pawshpet View Post
    So your initial startup was 6K and then of course your overhead like insurance, rent, utilities...etc? Just checking to be sure I can really do this.
    What you spend is up to you when your furnishing your place. You CAN make it possible on a shoe string budget if you plan right. Maybe you have a spot that only needs 1-2k in plumbing. Or maybe the first plumber screws you over and does a horrible job and doesn't return calls(I've been there and was out a-lot of money for something the next plumber had to redo) Maybe it only needs 2k in flooring? Spend $100 on a front counter or spend 3k for one. Buy the $100 table or the $2000 table. My costs were much higher than SilverStarWing. I spent more than 6k on just some build-out because of requirements. I still need about 2k for more flooring in the back, I also need more electrical work to add more lighting in the back. My tub was 2k not including shipping. I have 4k in just 3 Ultra lift tables. A couple hundred in storage cabinets. Almost 2 years later and it still all looks perfect. It all depends on what you need or feel you need to start. How big a space it is and what the inspectors say you need to operate to code. Honestly, I think I'd be more willing to buy an existing business than do my own shop again. I just feel that way! I just want to walk in and Say "Hey, I'm here! I need a dog to groom."

I looked at rents starting in the $1200 range and up to 3k a month(3k was CRAZYYY I felt). Some parts of the US have spots for $300.... The amount of $$ for Deposits was all over the place. I do have to mention that first you need a landlord that will take this type of business. Some places needed at least 20k-25k (Quoted) in just "fixing". Then you add the Dumpster, cost of A/C repair if you are in charge of it, signage, revamping the front, retail if you need that. You need to go out and find the right building for you and get estimates.

Someone in the next town over opened up her new shop and I think her numbers ran into the 25k range (or just right under?). That's with her having most of the equipment from a previous shop.

HELLO, Pawshpet:

Two ideas: 1. Work as an independent contractor for a small doggie spa.

I began WoofWoof: Dog Sitting in Our Home in 2003. One year ago I bought a larger home to expand my business. I had a grooming spa built and furnished it with great tubs, tables, plus shampoo and other necessary items. I advertised for a professional groomer to have her own business, using my space and equipment. In your case, of course, you can seek out a shop proprietor who is willing to allow you to work in her space. The advantages include being your own boss AND spending your time doing what you love most: grooming dogs.

Unless you love the idea of running a business; know how to run a business and have a professional advisor; or have enough money to invest in a shop and build a clientele before you begin to show a profit, you will want to think deeply before taking too big a risk.

2. The second idea, to buy a home where you can live and groom, would take quite an investment in time and money. Although I am succeeding in this strategy, I would suggest it only if I knew a lot more about you. It is a complex undertaking, and a big risk. I could easily have failed. Fortunately, I found the right home at an affordable cost. Also, my amazing construction person knows how to build exactly what I need, and he is beyond generous is allowing me to pay him when I can. Also fortunate, I had experience with marketing, which is time-consuming and can be expensive. Whether you call it luck or the Universe, everything happened for me in a way that was workable. For me it was a calculated risk, and taking it resulted in a great retirement doing what I love. It could have been otherwise.

If you want to discuss, feel free to ask questions or call me at 314-532-8753 or email at conniewolf@sbcglobal.net. I wish you well. Being your own boss is SO wonderful! (though doing so as an independent contractor might save you a lot of difficulty).

6K was equipment only. We didnt do the build out so we were safe there. We got the bare essentials when it came to the equipment too. $700 for the tub. Hydrolic Tables under $300 each. At Groomers Choice. Wired bank kennels from Ryans. Just under $500 each. We have a Groomers Choice in town, so we didnt have to pay for shipping for the majority of our stuff.

I set up shop for very little money, but my husband is very handy. I bought a used hydraulic table for $75, new KII dryer, had all my tools from school. Bathtub for $100 which my husband installed waist high. I found used crates on craigs list..maybe 100 for all. We traded labor for all the wood for my shop. Be very careful with rent cost and spending in the beginning, it may take a while to build up clientele. Start looking around now for things you may need, you'd be amazed at what you can find. Good luck!

Beaming Thank you for the information

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
    I set up shop for very little money, but my husband is very handy. I bought a used hydraulic table for $75, new KII dryer, had all my tools from school. Bathtub for $100 which my husband installed waist high. I found used crates on craigs list..maybe 100 for all. We traded labor for all the wood for my shop. Be very careful with rent cost and spending in the beginning, it may take a while to build up clientele. Start looking around now for things you may need, you'd be amazed at what you can find. Good luck!
    Thank you so much for the information. I am looking everywhere and trying to find everything as cheap as I can just to get started. I will see how I do and then add as I can. Thank you so very much.

Sincerely,
    Tammy

Thank you so much for all your detailed information. It is quite helpful and I really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. I will be in touch as I get further along and need more help. Thank you so much.