Hissy Fit Swelling after bite

I was bit on Wednesday evening and my finger is infected. I got antibiotics but am wondering how long will it be swollen? It is my thumb that I scissor with and can't hold anything now. it is so swollen and feels like pressure when I touch anything. Any idea?

Well, I got bit on the wrist a week ago. It didn't actually break skin because it was in a fattier area. But the bite was so hard the the area swelled and bruised. A week later it is still a teeny bit swollen and sore, but all the bruising is pretty much gone. I actually heal very fast too. I would think that maybe in two or three days the swelling should start to go away, but it probably differs for the individual.
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Sad I had two different antibiotics with last deep bite

Between thumb and first finger where it spells L only my right hand. Cipro was one for four nites and the other 3 a day 60 pills I never finished. Soak your hand. Now it is closed and probably scabbing over. Just don't let it get red, or hot. Take vitamin C also. Then you can forget everything I said and ask Helly. HahaGet Well Soon. Bummer, I know.

Good luck. I got bit by a german shepard a week ago and have been keeping it clean and but yesterday my whole arm got red and hot. So when I went to the doctor today he said I had a major infection and gave me a shot and antibiotics. He said if it spreads any further I have to go to the ER for IV antibiotics. So keep a check on it because it can get bad fast.

From my own personal experience, an infected bite wound can turn into cellulitis in the blink of an eye. OK, maybe not quite that fast, but it can happen in a matter of hours, even if you're on antibiotics.

So, again from my own experience, here's what I suggest. Do not soak it unless your doctor advises it. Warm compresses are ok, but don't ice it. If there is redness along with the swelling, you may be developing cellulitis. Call your doctor for his/her advice or go to the ER. If the swelling has increased, if you have red streaks going up your arm, if you have a fever, if the wound is leaking pus, go to the ER.

I was bitten on my wrist just about this time last year. The bite was a tiny puncture, less than half an inch, but deep. Because it was a deep puncture I went to the doctor, who was concerned about nerve damage. I got oral antibiotics and a referral to a neurologist. The neuro said he didn't think there was permenant damage, but watch for infection.

When I got up the next morning (Friday), my hand and arm were swollen, red, and hot. I went to the ER. IV antibiotics, a script for more oral antibiotics and pain meds, and a referral to an orthopedic surgeon first thing Monday morning. The doc also drew a line around the area that was swollen and red, and told me if the swelling or redness increased past the line I was to return to the ER. It did, and I did. More IV antibiotics.

My orthopedic appointment was at 9 AM Monday. He took one look and scheduled me for surgery at 3 that afternoon. My half inch puncture turned into a 4 inch incision. When he flushed it out, he found a piece of tartar that had broken off from the dog's tooth. It wasn't much, but it was like having a bacteria condo injected into my arm. And that's the biggest danger from minor dog bites. A piece of tartar, or even tooth, can break off in the wound, and it isn't going to get better until it's removed.

So, a little swelling and redness is normal. Keep it clean and dry. It should go down in a couple of days. If it doesn't, or if it increases, go to the ER. Don't mess around with it. Cellulitis is a VERY serious infection, it develops quickly and spreads quickly. People have lost fingers, arms, legs from cellulitis. Some die.

That is what the doc told me I have. Cellulitis. It is awful. It itches like crazy. So far it hasn't spread, but he told me if it does I have to go to the ER for IV antibiotics. Lets pray it doesn't spread.

Default I got bit about 3 years ago

and turned out the dog had an infection in his saliva which went directly into my bloodstreem (puncture wound). it was right on my thumb. and that night my hand and wrist was red and swollen, about 3am, my whole arm was swollen, so i went to ER at 3:30am and found out about the infection in the dogs saliva. syphillis (spelling?) is what the dog had. it was a horrible long process of penicillin (spelling?), antibiotics, pain meds, and routine opening the wound and flushing (had to be done at the ER with a long needle put down into the wound). I ended up being out of work for 3 weeks. i am glad i went into the ER though...it could have been MUCH worse than it already was! harsh part of the story? ....the groomer i worked for never even told the owners of the dog that their dog had bitten me and continued to take him in (once a week dog) every Monday. since the dog had bitten me, he would try to bite me again every chance he got. i don't work there anymore.

my advise...get it checked out...you never know what the dog might be a carrier to.