Default real cat grooming

Just finished up a new book which will be available soon.

http://groomwise.typepad.com/ncgia_n...-new-book.html

Gotta hand it to you, Danelle, on the title.

It did make me raise my eyebrows more than a little!

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledogdare View Post

Geez, DDD, I read your post before I clicked the link and I was expecting a title much worse than what it is. I was thinking more like "shaving your *****: the ultimate how to" or something like that!!

Laugh Cat

that sounds like an amazing title! Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledogdare View Post

Raised eyebrows are good

Appreciate what you're doing to make cat grooming more high profile! Yesterday, while I was buying an e-collar before going to groom a cat, a receptionist at a feline veterinary practice told me that "cats don't need to be groomed. We don't recommend grooming." I brought up the fact that elderly, obese, and long-haired cats can't groom themselves sufficiently. "Oh yeah, it's hard for them," she said. Well then, what are those cats supposed to do?
    I used to believe that cats didn't need grooming, so I understand that she thought she was protecting cats. Interesting that a veterinary receptionist doesn't know that grooming is essential to animal health. So many cats are obese nowadays. Cats are living longer. Fur is longer than it was due to breeding programs. I'm a believer in cat grooming.

Oh, I want to ask you so many questions and cannot follow your site on google tv setup!

I love what I could read and have a problem with 22 yr-old Maine Coon male who is awfully matted but it is so cold I hate to have him shaved and putting him under anesthesia while he has sneezles is tricky as he goes outdoors as he so loves the snow.
    So I'm checking around for curved blunt-tipped scissors to use to quickly rid him of some of the nastiest knots - he will allow that but no pulling and no bath either. There are so many brands and prices - all I want is for them to be sharp and longer than hang-nail scissors. Recommendations anyone? Please? This is probably his last year and I wish it were warmer but life is now and his problems are now and I love him.

Cat skin is thinner than dog skin. The skin of very old cats is extremely thin. If you make a slight cut on the skin, the cut can expand and grow into a big bloody wound. I've seen it happen. If there are any professional cat groomers in your area, that would be a good idea. It would be great if there is a house call cat groom who can visit you and your cat. Groomers will use clippers, most likely, instead of scissors.