Default How often do you clean and oil your clipper blades?

After each dog, end of day? Would like to know what others do... Thanks for your input in advance!

Each day, oil several times daily.

I think I honestly don't do it enough...I clean all my blades, maybe....once a month? Oil them all that same day and then I only oil if they start making louder than normal noises. I do about 8 dogs a day, have blades from 40s to 3 3/4. My sharpener comes every other month and I usually only have one or two for him to do. I also only shave clean dogs, have special cat blades, use a bravura for pads, sani and clean face/feet. I brush off each blade with a clean toothbrush after every dog. Only time I clean them everyday is if I've just done a dog with a skin issue or something that looks wonky, has fleas...those types of things. I use the dishsoap, rinse, HV cleaning technique. I've had most blades for well over 5 years and all of them still work very well.

... I'm a certified blade abuser. Just ask northern tails. I got such a lecture, several dvds, and a long letter with lots of stern instructions. I sent my blades to Loves the next time (i hadn't recovered from the verbal lashing). He recommended we buy a medical tool sterilizer (sp) for the shop. So we did. We haven't used it yet though... god, were bad. After 10 dogs and a 9-10 hour day, the last thing were thinking about as we drag our sorry butts out the door is "hey, I should devote another 30 mins to blade cleaning."

I'm a blade abuser.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

I clean and oil each blade after I use it and I oil them usually at least once during the groom. My sharpener usually gets 5 or 6 of my blades every 6 months.

I blow out my blades with compressed air and oil them before each use. I would guess that the blades I use on a daily basis (30, 10) need to be sharpened every 6-9 months. Using the Wahl SS attachments has saved me a lot of money sharpening blades.

I brush my blades out with a toothbrush before each groom. I oil about every third groom, or if the blade sounds a bit louder than usual. I clean all my blades with the dish soap & HV method about once a month, and clean individual blades after wet clipping, pre-strips or dogs with skin issues. I usually have a couple blades to sharpen every 2-3 months, although lately I've been having problems with rust, as the humidity level in our shop has gone up significantly.

I'm not nearly as good about maintaining my shears. I cleaned & oiled them all yesterday, and was blown away by the difference. I could have saved so much time if I'd done that regularly instead of letting them get so bad! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by funkypuppy View Post
    ... I'm a certified blade abuser. Just ask northern tails. I got such a lecture, several dvds, and a long letter with lots of stern instructions. I sent my blades to Loves the next time (i hadn't recovered from the verbal lashing). He recommended we buy a medical tool sterilizer (sp) for the shop. So we did. We haven't used it yet though... god, were bad. After 10 dogs and a 9-10 hour day, the last thing were thinking about as we drag our sorry butts out the door is "hey, I should devote another 30 mins to blade cleaning."

I'm a blade abuser.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Me too. We should form a club. I do it when I have a no show lol. Whoops

Actually, I washed and scrubbed all of my blades this am using dawn and water. Rinsed, HV'd, applied minimal oil (as suggested by one of a dozen northerntails videos I .watched yesterday. Blades are a dream now.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

I brush or blow the hair off, wipe them down with alcohol (or barbacide when available) and oil after each groom. I don't disinfect between grooming family members though, unless signs of a skin issue are present. I was a barber a million years ago so blade maintenance is drilled in from barber school.