Thread: A pricing mess

Nausea A pricing mess

I recently took over as the only groomer at a vet hospital when their previous groomer retired. She left behind a mess in pricing. There are dogs of the same breed, size and condition being charged widely varying prices for the same services. She also didn't consistently charge for extra services across dogs. Overall, her prices are well below what is being charged in the area.
    I've created a new price list by breed and I'm trying to readjust prices for long time clients.
    I need some advice for helping the receptionists (who are handling all the phone calls, appointments and checking out of clients) get everyone on the same page.

Oh nooo, I feel for ya. Maybe you could just say the pricing menu is getting a facelift and you are doing your very best to keep the needs of the dog, owner and the groomer??? It's going to end up being way more fair for everyone??

I would probably do the dogs at their old rate one time, and let the owners know when they pick up that you guys are changing your pricing format and the next visit it will be $XX more.

Perhaps you could send out flyers/facebook announcements (if the company is on there) and the like to announce you as a new groomer and casually mention the new prices at the same time. If you are changing anything else up or adding additional serivces this would be a great time to promote those changes as well. I would also try to market yourslef to new clients as you will unfortunately loose a few of the old ones. Another way to soften the blow is to toss in a coupon for their first time making an appointmnet with you-new groomer special. Hope this helps

I just went through the same thing. We raised prices about $3 for most and still some threw a fit. It still wasn't enough to get them where they should be, just be aware that there will always be "those" people. I wish you luck!

Quote Originally Posted by A Marie View Post
    I need some advice for helping the receptionists (who are handling all the phone calls, appointments and checking out of clients) get everyone on the same page.
    You just solved your own problem - "...on the same page".

Print out a sheet of paper with your basic price list and the variables based on condition, size, haircut and so forth. Give a copy to the receptionists.

Someone calls to make an appointment, they are told that Wiffle Hounds are between X and Y in price depending on the variables, the groomer quoting the final price when the dog is brought in.

Give the receptionist the new pricing guidelines and expect to lose some customers (ie the cheapskates). I had to do this when I took over.

Matter of fact I rounded up some of the older clients and one who has been coming for 16yrs left over .30 cents left. *sigh*
    Never gonna know if you never even try

Are the receptionists savvy and good at dealing with customers? If not, I might even go so far as to give them a "script." Not a formal script, but explain to them the words you would like them to use. Otherwise, they might get flustered and say something like, "Yeah, she charges a lot more. I don't know why." If you could think of the most tactful way to describe the increase and suggest it to them, perhaps that would make their lives (and yours) easier.