Confused Important Question regarding SALES TAX

I was recently asked by someone why i charge sales tax... my response was that it is the law but then I was asked in greater detail. Why do I collect sales tax on a service when services are non taxable... so my question is are groomers supposed to collect sales tax on a service ?

You need to get your accountant to help you track down those answers. Each town, county, state may be different. What is and is taxed will vary.

It might be by state too. Here grooming is a taxable service. Also, we are checking into why we do this right now actually...I pay sales tax on my check and credit card tips too. lame sauce.

Since you're in Texas, I looked up taxable services in Texas. Here's a link to the publication. Dog grooming is a taxable service.
    http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinf...s/tx96_259.pdf

We pay 5.5% sales tax in northern WI. Some states don't have sales tax on services. Sales tax on your check??? Could you please clarify? I wouldn't think tips wouldn't be sales taxable - wouldn't that come under income tax?

Default Important question requarding sales tax

yea I have to charge sales tax too. I am also in N E wi. I did groom in ca for 20 yrs so its hard to get used to. I have a cashregister that helps me out and figures it for me. I am also looking to meet other wi groomers.

I'm in Florida. No sales tax on services.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukesmom View Post
    yea I have to charge sales tax too. I am also in N E wi. I did groom in ca for 20 yrs so its hard to get used to. I have a cashregister that helps me out and figures it for me. I am also looking to meet other wi groomers.
    you don't have to pay sales tax in California? I wonder if that has anything to do with the new law and all the fees fines etc. They are trying to get money from groomers....

Admin: There are states that charge sales tax on all services, OR certain services. No sales tax on grooming in WA, but we pay sales tax on the septic pump man, landscape gardener, the mole man, and lots of others related to land development or maintenance. BUT WE HAVE NO STATE INCOME TAX, YEAH!!!!

NY charges sales tax on grooming as well (NY taxes everything!) I was informed that grooming is a taxable service because it is a service performed on a "sellable good". uh huh.

No tax for grooming here! Ga

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

no sales tax on grooming in ohio