Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Does anyone actually work 8 hours a day?

Just curious. I average 9-10.5 hours a day and do about that many dogs. I'm wondering if I just need to put my big girl panties on and accept that grownups work 45+ hours a week, those 8 hour shifts are a myth outside of corporate...

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Nope, I work about six a day. Eight on Saturday (usually) I've got kids and I'm home for them when they are out of school. Hubby too since we work together. I know you wanted to hear it going the other way. I work my tail off during that six hours though, the only thing working longer would do is stretch out the time between dogs. I can't physically handle more dogs a day than I do now which is between 8-14 depending on size.

Quote Originally Posted by funkypuppy View Post
    Just curious. I average 9-10.5 hours a day and do about that many dogs. I'm wondering if I just need to put my big girl panties on and accept that grownups work 45+ hours a week, those 8 hour shifts are a myth outside of corporate...
    Question is, are you in circumstances where you can dictate the price? When I put my big girl pants on was when I got the courage to raise my prices, yearly. When I got rid of the notion that dog grooming is not an important profession and dog groomers are not special people. What we do is important and we are special people. Few people can stand doing what we do day after day after day. For corps and vets dog grooming is just 'gravy'. And add on to their primary business. Not important and groomers aren't important. Dime a dozen to them.

So years ago I did do what you're doing, dogs & hours wise. And I still have the bad dreams about it. Now I work 6-7 hours a day. But since I wait on all the folks and answer the phone, etc, the amount of hours I actually am grooming is maybe 5-6 or so for 4-5 dogs, but never more than 4 haircuts and no more than one nutso dog in one day. Serenity is an option. However I don't eat lunch or anything like that, work straight thru, with some tea and beef jerky to snack on (not fattening . Barbara

Believe it or not, you are entitled to a life beyond pet grooming if you actually want one. It has nothing to do with wearing "big girl panties" and everything to do with calling your own shots in life.

If a private life of your own away from work is something you desire, book fewer dogs in a day and go home eight hours after you start work.

It is that simple. It is not rocket science.

Learn to say "no" to others and "yes" to yourself.

You will be much happier if you do.

I work 9am -3pm or 5pm, depending on how the day is going. This job is too physical for me to imagine working more than 8 hours at a time.

Default Part of the job...

Same here...

I groom approx. 10-11 hours/day, 3 days a week. That includes cleaning at the end of the day. Then I work another 8-12 hours on the other 2 days (some weekends, too, depending on production schedule) on my other job. That's the way it is. My husband, the "kennel master" puts in a minimum of 60 hours a week, 7 days a week, taking care of the kennel dogs and the kennel in general (cleaning, financials, retail dog food supplies, etc.).

Sadly, after all of those hours, after all the expenses of owning one's own business, we don't make very much money. One consolation, at least we can still work. At our ages 59 and 61, no one would hire us even with our other skills (teacher, graphic designer with management and LOTS of technical experience). Retirement is not an option...heck, we just received the bill for next years health insurance - it's up 35%. And we have no health issues, including being non-smokers... guess it could be a lot worse, though.

Yes, sometimes less, sometimes 10 hours. I get in 730am or 7am on wednesdays. If I have six dogs (a full day for me), I work up until 4-6pm. Normally, I work 730 (7 wed) to 4ish. I don't work Saturdays, and so I don't get burnt out a lot. I used to work M-Sa. And I would work MAYBE six hours daily. I got burnt out way too much there. I don't think it's the hours for me. I think it's having those two days of rest.

But yeah, when I get in at 730, and leave at 6, I am very pissy and silently curse about how I shouldn't be working that long in this type of work. I couldn't do that M-F, even with the two days of rest. I think 8-9 hours is my limit
    amanda
    ~You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back~

During the week I do 4-6 dogs & work 3.5 - 5 hours. On saturdays I do 8 - 10 dogs & work 6 - 8 hours. It's just me, no bather even. I keep a few bath dogs (bath & trims) mixed in. Today I did 9 & 2 of them were bath & trims. I worked 7 hours.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk
    If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

I just recently told my employer I've had it with staying over eight hours and I define full time as 35-40 hours...not 40-50! They were not very receptive so I've taken matters into my own hands and am making sure I'm out after 7.5 hours on my work day. Also, I leave 15 mins to a half hour early when possible. That extra time was just filled with doing other people's work and I am not missing it one bit!

This job can work for us...we just have to know how to run the appointments and multi-task...I'm learning this...and still have a ways to go on perfecting the subject ::winks::

I'm sorry Petekids...I'm just...sorry. Your situation does not sound good and after age 60 I want to think of retiring soon, or at the very least, going part time.

I work 10-7:30 with an hour lunch and two ten minute breaks tues-sat. Occasionally I'll stay late but I'm pretty tight on my scheduling so it doesn't happen often.
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

I work alone in my own shop, and I usually take appointments between 9 and 4, so my last dog is typically out by 5- 5:30. I only work 5 days a week, and turn off my business phone on my days off so I don't have to be worrying if I'm going to miss a call. I have decent prices and pull enough a week to more than make my bills. I decided when i opened my shop that I wasn't going to let other people dictate my appointment times, or my happiness. I love my job but I couldn't let it run (or ruin) my life.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast