Default Shampooing the face

Does anyone use regular shampoo on the dogs faces and then follow up with eye wash to make sure no shampoo is in the eyes? I'm just wondering if tearless is truly necessary as I've heard that tearless can cause corneal burns just as easily as regular shampoo.

Knock wood but I've never caused a corneal burn and I've always used tearless. I know for a fact baby shampoo doesn't burn my eyes, but you may as well pour acid in them as much as adult shampoo stings. I imagine it's the same for dog shampoo. I would never consider using a 'regular' shampoo on the face. You have to be so careful, it's time prohibitive. Plus if I can't scrub, I don't feel like the face gets as clean. Just not worth it to me.

We use a "puppy tearless" shampoo that comes concentrated and we dilute and put into squirt bottles. We use that to scrub faces. I know it does not burn the dogs' eyes because any number of times dogs have shaken their heads while their heads are soapy and I've gotten slapped in the eyes with the lather. It does NOT sting or hurt at all.

On the other hand I have periodically gotten my own shampoo in my eyes when I shower in the morning and that is a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

If the bottle tells you to avoid getting the soap in a dogs eyes, there is a reason for them to say that. If the bottle says it is tearless when used as directly, there is a reason for them to say that as well.

I ere on the side of caution and always use properly-diluted tearless on a dog's face and around the eyes.

No, I've never used the eyewash. At the new job, I always use the Tearless, and at my last shop, I would just use whatever shampoo I used for the body on the head. Never had an issue - I get them clean, but am careful. (Their tearless sucked which is why I used regular shamp)
    amanda
    ~You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back~

Thats a very good point cockerlvr, I mean about the scrubbing of the face. I think your right. I think I'll be more comfortable if I use the tearless.

We have facial stuff, but I do use normal dog shampoo to wash faces from time to time. As long as u keep the shampoo away from the eyes you'll be fine. I'm always changing my brands, but I use only top qulaity all natural products. Right now its Natural Groomer.

I take some of the diluted shampoo and apply it to the top of the head and ears and work into a lather. Then i pour a little bit into my hand and clean the cheeks and/or beard. Using my thumbs i take some of the suds and rub into the creases below the eyes and down the muzzle. I rinse AWAY from the eyes with the head tilted down to keep the shampoo from rinsing into them. We dont use eye wash either. And I have NEVER had a problem. Years ago, when I worked for the corps, we did have those issues, but they use harsh shampoos, ya know the kind that spits open and causes our own skin to break out. So I think it varies depending on shampoo and technique.

I use tearless.. and it is because I splashed some in my eyes! I did the "uh oh, is this going to burn??" And it didn't a bit!! I'm still careful and scrub very carefully around eyes and noses and rinse well.

Debbie

I use Johnson's lavender baby shampoo on the heads and faces. All my clients love the smell.

Why, oh why, would any groomer take the chance of using regular shampoo near the dog’s eyes ?? Sure, you think you are careful…..but one quick jerk of the head and you’ve got shampoo in the eyes, and how do you wash Shih Tzu’s little squashed face? Tearless shampoo cost the same as any other shampoo, so cost isn’t the problem. It’s got to be pure laziness or that “who cares” attitude that you would use regular shampoo on any pet’s face…….AND please don’t think that diluting the regular shampoo lessens the sting to the eyes.

Don’t forget to wash that face twice and use a flea comb to comb out the eye mucous that builds up.

Happy becoming a more compassionate groomer

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

If you use a bathing system you can use the regular shampoo because it is so diluted there will not be an issue. I mean, I use 1 cup in 14 gallons of water.....not flea or a harsh, degreaser mind you, but my regular shampoo. I have done this for years and years. We also use a face shampoo around the eyes, but the rest of the face I use the regular shampoo I use on the rest of the dog. Ears, beards, heads, but around eyes (especially if I have to let it soak or scrub it really well, I use a facial shampoo.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain