Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Not Using A Groomers Noose on Table??

Have any of you ever not used a grooming noose while a dog is on the table? The reason why I ask, is because my customer today, when she brought in her dogs, looked at my noose and said, "oh you use one of those do you?" Almost like I was doing something wrong. I told her it was for the dogs safety as much as for my own. She then told me that the groomer that she had come to her house, never used a noose. It seems really bad to not use a noose, especially on someone else's dogs. I would never want the backlash if something bad was to happen.

I worked at a place that didn't use arms/nooses. I brought my own because I refused to not use one. The dogs were everywhere, jumping off tables, scrambling around, no control it was terrible.
    -----------------------------------------------
    damnit, I want a white poodle!

I can't count the number of times that the loop has prevented tragedy - numerous dogs think they can fly! I would never groom without one. Tell you customer that it's for the dogs safety and the dog is never, ever left alone with the noose around its neck.

A woman I used to work with was grooming an australian shepherd mix. He was older, I think 14 or 15. The groomer had him strapped in the table with a belly strap and a noose. She undid the noose to brush around his neck. For someone reason the dog went bananas and he jumped of the table. He ended up being paralyzed from the neck down. The owners had to put him to sleep. It was a terrible accident to have happened. I will never ever forget it. Lesson learned!

I use the word "loop" as well. It sounds a tad friendlier than "noose".
    A gal I trained years ago...called it her table leash.

I don't ever envision myself grooming without using one, but I know that groomers do, and if they are comfortable with that and have no issues...more power to them.

In fact...I don't think Parti uses a loop on a good number of her dogs.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Grinning Cat Depends........

You said the woman had a groomer who came to her house and didn't use a loop.
    I make housecalls and I don't use a loop. I groom on countertops and sometimes use a bathtub suction w/ loop if the dog is "roaming."
    It's quite different in someone's home than it is in a salon. The dogs I groom aren't distracted by other dogs and I never have my hand off them.
    But in a salon, I wouldn't leave a dog on a table without a loop.

I often don't use a noose on my little dogs, but then I am mobile and seldom turn my back on them and only when I've done them a few times and they are so good and know the routine. the first time I do any dog they always have a noose and it is purely for safety as I always tell my clients when they ask. a lot of dogs are less fidgety when the noose is on. Same as when you put a muzzle on, they know they can't bite so they don't even try, when the noose is on, even loosely they stand still. Tell her it's not a punishment it's an aid. FYI all my big dogs have a noose.

can you imagine trying to do a newfie or some huge table leaning dog without a grooming loop? Think of it as a seat belt for your table... it is for their safety. The only time I could imagine not using one is if I worked in a room with no windows or distractions, with the table against the wall so the dog wouldn't be able to go anywhere, but even then, they'd probably squirm around.

I dont use one, never have. Thats how I was trained many moons ago. I was told to control the dog myself so.........thats what I learned to do. Most of my groom dogs know the drill and would not dare to jump ( might make me start bit*hing at them, and I can get really annoying when I bit*c, lol) But new dogs I am careful to keep a hand on and I groom solo so not many distractions for them. Now if I groomed in a multi groomer salon or a pet store, I would probably learn to use a loop.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Default I learned without

Mostly I still groom without one, BUT - it depends on the situation. My table is up against a wall. If it was not, I would use a loop or even a slip lead that I hold in my hand on the dog. I used to use a leash years ago with untrained or difficult dogs when my table was NOT up against a wall.

It really depends what you get used to, I guess. If you are more comfortable with it you should use one, although you may want to make sure it does not look like you are 'stringing up' the dog, or you might want to try it looped around one leg like is used for dogs with trachea problems. It might look nicer to the owners, you could call it a makeshift 'harness'. lol

I only use a loop if I have a difficult dog-I consider the grooming arm as my 3rd arm if necessary. I ALWAYS use a control lead with every dog. I have a constant hand on that or it's lying right beside my hand to grab if needed. No accidents in almost 40 yrs of pro grooming (touch wood). It gives me control of the dog, and much easier to prevent a bite that way. Nothing worse that a dog on the loop trying to grab you and you have no control of his head. Even when I use a loop, I keep the control lead on.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Default I never used one for the first 6 yrs of grooming. I built my Table out of wood,

and thats all there was, I NEVER ONE time had a dog jump, not even close. I still have that same table, but I also have a hydraulic table now too with a loop, I barely use that table, It is my Bathers table, She is required to put everyone in the loop.(Tub too)But- I- also don't tie everyone in for the bath, I know my dogs, the ones who try to jump, yes get tied in, but otherwise I have them under control. As someone else stated. I have now been grooming 7.5 yrs, without one dog getting down. My Newfies, St.B.'s etc, all go on my big table with no loop. (the hyd. table is not big enough) But my big guys behave, so they either lay there or stand perfect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast