Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default American bulldog shedding like a maniac!

I feel a tad silly posting this....but here goes. After ten years of grooming i have never encountered this. An american bulldog that wont stop shedding! I got a new client who lives in my neighbourhood who came in a few weeks ago and had two dogs groomed. Her husband calls today and they want to groom the bulldog again. I brushed and deshed that dog forever! I finally thought i got the most i was gonna get out of him and she comes to pick up the dog and bends over and her pregnant belly brushes up against the dog and her black jacket is covered. I felt horrible but it was 8 at night, i was exhausted, i knew id done as much as i could. She was understanding and said i had done what she wanted so no worries. Well, i just know this dog is gonna haunt me! I was looking closely at his coat the last time and it was like fish scales. I could see little chunks of hair all over and if i pinched them out with my fingers i could get them but that would have taken me days.. I dont wanna irritate the skin, i dont know what i should be doing differently. I did read on here about hair cycles....maybe thats whats going on... Enlighten me please.. I really want them to feel like their money is well spent.

Welcome to American Bulldogs. Have a nice day.

Virtually all the ABs we do shed like crazy all year 'round. You bathe them and get a tub full of hair, dry them and have hair blowing off them, then take a zoom groom to them and end up with six inches of hair piled on the table. You'd think they'd be stark naked but they still have hair on 'em and they are still shedding it out.

You could brush them for an hour longer and still get hair off them.

It is simply the nature of the beast.

This time of the year, with the weather warming up and the days getting longer, coupled with the dogs having been kept under lights all winter, their bodies are thinking it is July so let's dump the hair. It might be worse than usual right now but they are still constant shedding machines.

When our AB owners have complained about the hair, I show them a zoom groom and tell them how and how often to use it to reduce the shedding, but they are all too lazy to brush their dogs on a regular basis.

Too much like work I guess.

Your not going to cure this dog. There is a chemical imbalance going on. This dog needs to have a blood panel done. There are a slew of medical problems that could cause what you describe. Also this dog needs a diet change to grain free. Its hard to say what is going on when we cant see the dog but from my long experience a blood test should be done first.
    Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Fish scales and crusty is not a shedding issue.
    Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Sad

I have the same problem with the pugs...hair-hair-hair I too use a Zoom Groom on them and still hair everywhere.

I have a few that come in every 2 weeks for bath and deshed. I zoom groom before, during, and after the bath.In these cases I think it's best not to use a deshed soln cuz they just keep shedding after, but then again it may not make a huge difference. Hair still keeps coming but OH MAN do they love it! I love showing owners how we deshed and the look of ecstasy their pets get while we do it. They especially shed like crazy on the tops of their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by stacie-gotg View Post
    Fish scales and crusty is not a shedding issue.
    No not fish scales or crusts at all. The hair is just grouped together and resembles it down her legs.

Yeah! Her head was nuts! I dont see this breed often enough to know that they're all like this lol. Thanks for the insight so far guys

hrm...well no american bulldogs ive ever done have shed like nuts! no bulldogs for that matter. we have some that shed normally but not crazy crazy shedding like your describing. dont know if its your area or what it is....

Hound

Oh Darlin', welcome to my world. I have an american bull dog and he's shedding so bad I cannot believe it. I'm a groomer, a professional groomer with great training, technique and products. I used a rubber curry on that boy in the before the bath, during the bath, and after the bath. He was so much better, UNTIL the following day. He was shedding like crazy again. I repeated the whole de-shedding treatment and again he seems to be nearly out of loose hair, until the following day, yesterday, when he's losing a ton of hair again.

We are heading out of winter, days are getting longer, and dogs are shedding their winter coats like crazy. Short coated breeds shed worse than longer coated breeds. It's really a mess. All you can do is your best, but until the dog completes the cycle of shedding, more hair will keep falling out.

This is not your fault. I might suggest to them getting a rubber curry and doing some of this at home, outside of course.

Default Not normal

When I see dogs shedding like this, I always ask what they eat. Really good food usually makes a nice, luxurious coat that feels pleasant, 'silky', and does not shed like crazy. Also, I recommend deworming - for ALL worms, including tapes - once a year. I don't even recommend a stool check unless the dog is has compromised health in some way and then I may not want to 'poison' them unnecessarily with worm medications. Owners should realize that many worms - and especially tapeworms - may NOT show up in a stool and yet the dog can have them.

Other things that can hit the system and cause it to be less healthy: vaccines, monthly treatments like heartworm and flea meds, etc. I particularly dislike "all-in-one" stuff like Trifexis, because then the dog is hit with more than one thing at one time.

If the owner is not on a food rated highest (5 stars) by this site, I would encourage her to change: dogfoodadvisor.com. Also no cheap treats with garbage ingredients should be given.

Also, find out if a Furminator will work on this dog. A Furminator will pull out secondary coat, but will not pull out top coat on a Bulldog coat. However, if you can pinch coat and get bunch after bunch of topcoat, that is a health issue (like food, worms, etc.), so a Furminator will not work. It sounds like this dog is shedding outer coat, which is always more concerning to me.

I have a pack of 7 dogs and this sort of coat is notorious for being a heavy shedder. Nothing in my my house ever sheds like this type of coat. When it sheds, it's like a snow globe everywhere. Perfectly healthy dogs with great diet and exercise can shed like crazy. I know this because I pride myself in keeping my dogs in top shape and feeding them great food. Yes, I agree that poor food makes for poor coats in lots of cases, but that's not what's happening with that short coat on these breeds. The best lifestyle of all wouldn't help this shedding. Top notch grooming doesn't seem to make a dent in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbiedogs View Post
    When I see dogs shedding like this, I always ask what they eat. Really good food usually makes a nice, luxurious coat that feels pleasant, 'silky', and does not shed like crazy. Also, I recommend deworming - for ALL worms, including tapes - once a year. I don't even recommend a stool check unless the dog is has compromised health in some way and then I may not want to 'poison' them unnecessarily with worm medications. Owners should realize that many worms - and especially tapeworms - may NOT show up in a stool and yet the dog can have them.

Other things that can hit the system and cause it to be less healthy: vaccines, monthly treatments like heartworm and flea meds, etc. I particularly dislike "all-in-one" stuff like Trifexis, because then the dog is hit with more than one thing at one time.

If the owner is not on a food rated highest (5 stars) by this site, I would encourage her to change: dogfoodadvisor.com. Also no cheap treats with garbage ingredients should be given.

Also, find out if a Furminator will work on this dog. A Furminator will pull out secondary coat, but will not pull out top coat on a Bulldog coat. However, if you can pinch coat and get bunch after bunch of topcoat, that is a health issue (like food, worms, etc.), so a Furminator will not work. It sounds like this dog is shedding outer coat, which is always more concerning to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast