Exclamation INDIANA Medical Exemption

INDIANA Medical Exemption Petition -- Pet owners are taking steps to put a medical exemption clause into Indiana 's rabies rules. If you are an Indiana resident, please sign the online petition and share the link: https://www.change.org/petitions/ind...share_petition .

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST

If my dogs get to the point they are past a certain age or too ill to vaccinate, the vet knows it and questions the need and expense of another vaccination, I just tell the county board of health the dog died, take him off the county's list of the dogs I own.

End of problem. As long as I contact the county and tell them to update things in that fashion, they never question it further.

That's nice for you DDD but some people live in areas where there are rabies police.

I have a breed that is very prone to autoimmune issues, and I believe over vaccinating only exasperates that problem.
    I have a bitch whose face swelled to twice it's normal size after her first rabies vacc. She'll never get another, and she's only three years old at this time. Fortunately I don't live in a state that requires rabies to license YET, but if it gets there, I'm gonna need that medical exemption. She's never getting another rabies shot.

I appreciate all the work you folks are doing Kris

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    That's nice for you DDD but some people live in areas where there are rabies police.
    This area has them as well. I've had guys come to the front door and demand to see dogs, count noses, see tags, paperwork, everything.

What one must keep in mind is that these are just people from the county board of health. They are not not the KGB or SS. Unless they provide me with a legal search warrant signed by a judge, they are not getting past the front door. I give them the name of my vet and tell them the vet has all vaccination records, go check with their office if you need that info. They are not walking into my house and I am not dragging my dogs one-by-one onto the front porch to satisfy their curiosity when they can get all they need at the vet clinic next village over. Then I close the door.

Never had them come back or have the county hassle me further about it. As they will have taken the "dead" dogs off their list, if they check with the vet, the infor they will be asking for will be on the dogs they have on their list - the "live" ones. And they will find those dogs are all current on vaccinations. That leaves them no legal reason to harass me on anything.