Oops Scared hiring another groomer

Hello fellow groomers. I am a proud owner of a grooming shop in Cincinnati. I recently relocated my shop to a new location and happy to say, I am overwhelming busy. I'd like to hire on a new *EXPERIENCED* groomer part-time (as needed) basis but am so scared their grooming abilities won't be what I would expect. I'm mainly scared that the shop's great reputation could get damaged with hiring the wrong person. Make sense to anyone? Any thoughts? Right now it's just me grooming.

Maybe hire a bather to help you do more dogs then train him/her how you want to groom. No breaking bad habits.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Employees can be fired. It's not a lifelong commitment. If they have experience and you see their portfolios - and ask them to do some test dogs, you should be okay as far as skills.
    Part-time as needed may not get you the best groomers though, since it sounds like they will be on call, which is not financially rewarding.

You aren't going to have to worry about that potential new employee of yours wrecking your reputation because no highly-skilled, experienced groomer is going to agree to a part-time on-call position. It isn't worth it financially to work under conditions like. Not if you have to pay bills and make a living.

All the sorts you are looking for either are working steady days and hours or own their own places, so don't expect to have to fight 'em off and hand-pick the best candidate because I think once anyone with your desired qualifications hears your restrictions, they'll mosey on down the road.

Be aware that when you put out a "help wanted" ad, you'll put "Experienced groomer only!" and get plenty of "I owned a dog once when I was a kid!" type "experience". Lots of "I just graduated school!" and a lot of "I washed the neighbor's dog" until you're ready to pull out your hair.

I agree, you are going to have a very difficult time finding an experienced good groomer to work as needed. Most experienced groomers will have a client base but if there is not guaranteed work why would they want to come? You would need a true incentive to work on your terms.

If you do get some quality applicants they should have at least some example of their work, whether it's a website or photos or whatever. A working interview could also be done.

The only groomer with experience(that's going to do quality work etc) I could see taking ou up on that offer would be someone who wants to retire but needs a little income. Someone who is happy just doing a few dogs to keep their hand in and get a little extra money... not someone who is going to be looking forward to becoming busy and doing full time work though.

You never know though. Maybe someone will have moved into the area and wants exactly what you're offering. Hurts nothing to put the ad up, even if you end up turning everyone down as unsuitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledogdare View Post
    You aren't going to have to worry about that potential new employee of yours wrecking your reputation because no highly-skilled, experienced groomer is going to agree to a part-time on-call position. It isn't worth it financially to work under conditions like. Not if you have to pay bills and make a living.

All the sorts you are looking for either are working steady days and hours or own their own places, so don't expect to have to fight 'em off and hand-pick the best candidate because I think once anyone with your desired qualifications hears your restrictions, they'll mosey on down the road.
    I don't know about all that...I mean I work part time. And it's not unheard of for someone to only want to work part time. Grooming hours may be ideal for a mother with small kids...or someone a little older looking to slow down. Or someone with another job looking to supplement a few hours. I work Tuesday-Saturday from about 8-12/1...usually between 20 and 25 hours a week. There will probably come a time where I will need something with more hours but right now I can afford to work part time...so to the OP you may just find someone who is perfect for your situation. And as to being scared about their skills...a working interview should tell you all you need to know! And like someone else said, an employee is not a permanent fixture...if the work doesn't satisfy you, there is always a way to send them out...that's what a probationary period at a new job is all about!
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Quote Originally Posted by rapuzzled View Post
    I don't know about all that...I mean I work part time. And it's not unheard of for someone to only want to work part time. Grooming hours may be ideal for a mother with small kids...or someone a little older looking to slow down. Or someone with another job looking to supplement a few hours.
    As the typical help wanted ad for groomers wants three-to-five-or-more years verifiable shop experience, excellent scissoring skills, excellent people skills, a team player, total lack of drama, references, a portfolio of their work and the job is part-time, Saturdays a MUST, you and the mothers and the retirees and the other part-timers have a lot of pick from.

The rest of us don't. Yet shop owners all throw their proverbials hand in the air and ask where all the good groomers are when they need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledogdare View Post
    As the typical help wanted ad for groomers wants three-to-five-or-more years verifiable shop experience, excellent scissoring skills, excellent people skills, a team player, total lack of drama, references, a portfolio of their work and the job is part-time, Saturdays a MUST, you and the mothers and the retirees and the other part-timers have a lot of pick from.

The rest of us don't. Yet shop owners all throw their proverbials hand in the air and ask where all the good groomers are when they need one.
    I agree with you that most will not find this an ideal situation...I was just pointing out that not EVERYONE is looking for a full time job...she just might get lucky with someone looking for less
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones